Has this bug been recognized?

My understanding is that WD TV Media Player ver 1.02.17 is the same as the version that should be rolled out to fix 2.02.32 on the SMP.

So I broke down and bought the Media Player, upgraded to 1.02.17 and immediately came across this bug.

When resuming a video, the movement keys (FF, REW, and Pause) don’t work.  You have to exit out of the video, and come back in, and sometimes, after trying a few times, it might work, but usually not.

The only way to make it work for sure is to exit, come back in and start from the beginning, skip to the point you were at, and then those keys will work.

I noticed this once or twice after I upgraded my SMP to 2.01.86, but on the Media Player, it’s frequent.  Never saw it before 2.01.86.

Also, when using FF and then pressing play, it will sometimes kick you out of the video, back to the list.

The other reason I bought this Media Player is I was curious about one of the newer services.  Unfortunately, that service is not suported in my area.  And after playing with some geo-unblocking, it appears Media Player doesn’t support geo-unblocking.  Apparently the SMP does, but not this “newer” model.

It’s being returned tomorrow.

Words cannot describe how pathetic the latest releases have become.

I’m sorry you had a negative experience with your Media Player. Were you able to test if a factory reset affected said behavior with the remote control? 

Thanks Trancer.  Yes, I did a reset after upgrading.

So nobody else has experienced this issue?  I’m seeing it in 2.01.86 from time to time.

Seems to me it has to be in 2.02.32, since it’s also in the WD TV Media Player, ver 1.02.17, which means they also haven’t fixed it in the 2.02.32 replacement.

I guess it’s time to go back to 1.16 or something.  Nothing after that actually seems to have improved anything wrt playing videos over the local network.  Anyone please correct me if I’m wrong.

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this. You can do so either by phone or email.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

Support by Country
http://support.wdc.com/country/index.asp

I’m wondering your line of thinking Trancer.

Are you thinking I should ask Tech Support to confirm the bug, in order to rule out if it’s just my device?

I don’t think it’s just me, since I see it now in 2.01.86, as well as I saw it on the media player, 1.02.17, which means it must be in 2.02.32 as well.  I don’t recall seeing it in 1.16 though, but could be just my memory at fault.

I am surprised no one else has commented though.  Perhaps no one else finds it as annoying.  I usually have several movies or shows on the go though, and it’s a pain when the FF or REW doesn’t work.

The reason I suggest direct assistance is because I have not seen similar reports. Even though you have experienced this behavior in different firmware revisions it can still be related to a hardware issue.

I see your reasoning.

But I said I had seen it on a WD TV Media Player ver 1.02.17, as well as my SMP at 2.01.86.

That’s two different hardware devices and versions.

And it happens on many different files.

But still, if you haven’t heard of the problem from others, and nobody else has commented here, that’s very odd.

I have a universal remote as well as my WD remote, and both show the same results.

Sigh… I guess I’ll have to test some more, try to figure out what’s going on.

Thanks.

I have been losing my mind over this for 3 months now.

I have 4 WD TV Lives and the Media Hub and they were all working great for the longest time.

Now the PAUSE BUG has hit them all and I have tried everything!

It is not my network as I get the same bug now on a movie on a USB or an external drive.

Wired or wireless.

I have reset, downgraded, upgraded, everything.

Almost any movie I am about 20 minutes int to when I hit the Pause button gives me the cant play the format error and keeps playing in the background, the unit has to be reset completely.

I am so frustarted!!!

PLEASE HELP !!!

Thank-you,

Anthony

Not sure if I posted this correctly so I am replying to your comments as I am having almost exact same issue and it is driving me crazy, please see my post below.

Best,

Anthony

I have been losing my mind over this for 3 months now.

I have 4 WD TV Live’s and the Media Hub and they were all working great for the longest time.

Now the PAUSE BUG has hit them all and I have tried everything!

It is not my network as I get the same bug now on a movie on a USB or an external drive.

Wired or wireless.

I have reset, downgraded, upgraded, everything.

Almost any movie I am about 20 minutes in to when I hit the Pause button gives me the cant play the format error and keeps playing in the background, the unit has to be reset completely.

I am so frustarted!!!

PLEASE HELP !!!

Thank-you,

Anthony

Isurrender wrote:It is not my network as I get the same bug now on a movie on a USB or an external drive.

Wired or wireless

Does it also happen when there’s no connection to the network? I’ve been trying to  get to the bottom of this but people never provided enough information to narrow it down.

It does happen when connected or not connected.

Believe it or not I think I just may have resolved it. I have downgarde mutilpe times and tested and it looks like the problem may be gone under 1.07.15 .  I literally minutes ago tested this downgrade and the problem seems gone in the first box (WD LIVE TV) I have tested. I am about to replicate this downgrade on another box and test.

Best,

Anthony

I take what I sai back. After the downgrade to 1.07.15 , not connected to the network, I was able towatch a specific movie off of a USB key with the Pause Bug. I got all excited and added my wireless network back in and then ran the same movie of my Synolgy NAS and within two minutes on a pause I hit the same Pause bug.

I am not sure if I did I complete reset after the I readded the network back in and I am going to test that now.

Just read my post and I am tired I meant to say I watched the movie off the USB without the Pause Bug

Did the full reset after the downgrade and with network hooked back up (wireless) the problem is even worse, not twenty mintes to hit the Pause Bug, now five minutes.

Giving up, goodnght!

Have you considered it might be the files themselves, especially if it just all the sudden happened?   Does this problem happen with files you know it didn’t happen with previous?  There are so many 3rd party codecs, encoding programs and/or encoding settings not to mention the container files themselves that can be used nowadays that playback can be effected on different players…  This is especially true of downloaded files, where in my experience there is no shortage of bad or improper encodes…

Thanks for the response; you make a valid point but I believe have this problem with almost all my files now. I can pause things as normal until I get about 15-20 minutes into a movie and then when I hit pause it keeps playing in the background and needs to be reset completely. I am not really answering your direct question on my old content but I will try this and see but everything I download now does this.

Best,

Anthony 

I suggested it because I have experienced the same issues with some content, some encodes are just not WDTV friendly and playback is hit and miss especially with the all the new mp4 codecs out there…  I have also found that it’s more prevalent in higher compressed 720 and 1080 files…

All in all though the WDTV units seem to tollerate a lot more file types and codecs than most other players by far…

Thanks again!

I am thinking you are correct as I have focused on the hardware and looking back the problems seemed to arrose as I began to download better quality movies, 720, HD etc…

With that said, it seems all the movies and shows I download now suffer the same problem so you would think WD would provide a firmware update to deal with these codec changes as I know they work with all my other PC media players without issue.

Best,

Anthony

What codec changes are that? The WDTV still plays all codecs it was advertized for, just no H.265 (HEVC) or 10bit.