Has anyone ever worked on a Live Hub Ethernet circuitry?

My WD llive Hub took a hit during a lightening storm.  Every function still works except the Ethernet connection.  It is out of warranty.  It looks like a chip that controls the Ethernet function could be changed rather easily.  Anyone ever done it?  I have all the tools and the know how…but cant locate the part.

jdunphy wrote:

My WD llive Hub took a hit during a lightening storm.  Every function still works except the Ethernet connection.  It is out of warranty.  It looks like a chip that controls the Ethernet function could be changed rather easily.  Anyone ever done it?  I have all the tools and the know how…but cant locate the part.

The part is a Realtek RTL8110SCL Gigabit Ethernet LOM Controller.

2 Likes

Hello Tony,

Have you tried to purchase one of these parts?  Are they off the shelf ready to install?  They do not need to be programmed or any thing do they?

Some info 

HERE

Possible purchase

HERE

1 Like

jdunphy wrote:

It looks like a chip that controls the Ethernet function could be changed rather easily.

Easy ?  make sure there are no shorts on the 128 pins you’ll have to resolder.

Looking at the link fltthemi posted … some of numbers are different (unsure if it makes a difference)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Piece-New-REALTEK-RTL8110SCL-LQFP128-IC-Chip-/400413815671

RTL8110SCL
D1A33S1
GS15 TAIWAN

(from picture below)
RTL8110SCL
A3M60Q1
G421B TAIWAN

1 Like

Thank you everyone for your replies,

I ordered the part that I need from ebay as suggested.  The difference in some of the numbers is the mfg. date code.  I was hoping to find a part in the states to expedite the repair.  It will be about a month before I will able to begin the repair.  I will post when the repair is complete.

Thanks again for your replies. 

Just wondering if a compatible wireless usb dongle would be another option ?

will this still rely on the onboard realtek chip for network access … or will the network access rely on the chip inside the usb wireless dongle ?

could maybe be an alternative i suppose (but i’m not sure)

1 Like

Untitled.jpg

How about a USB RJ45 dongle?

1 Like

most probably will run into the issue of required drivers (in the firmware)

there are no USB RJ45 dongles in the Compatability list … so the chances of it working are slim to none. (There are however, plenty of Wireless Dongles though)

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5688/~/list-of-compatible-devices-for-the-wd-tv-live-hub-media-center,-wd-tv-live

1 Like

Yes, I thought of going that route first rather than attempting the repair.  Two reasons for not trying it. (YET)   First is speed.  USB instead of Ethernet huge difference in transfer of data speed.  Second was all the nightmares I have read of folks trying to get the hardware and software revision combinations just right to make it work.  I will be forced to go that route if the repair goes sideways. Without a schematic, it appears that it should only be two IC’s keeping the Ethernet from working.  I’m hoping that it is the controller that is the problem.  Thanks again for all the replies.    

Just a thought I had…(can be dangerous)

IF the repair goes sideways and IF you no longer have use for the unit, think about sending it to KAD…he could use one for devolopement! :slight_smile:

The WDLXTV firmware is based around a Telnet hack … so without a “Network Connection” it may prove it bit difficult.

“Network Connection” is required for executing the scripts and uploading the payload

Almost all the info KAD79 requires … is by telneting in and issuing cmd’s and logging and outputing the data.

I was assisting KAD79 with mine for about a week … until it got to the *risky* stage, and unfortunately i had to bail out

(i was not prepared to risk *bricking* my WDTV Live Hub)

But, fear not, there is one user i know of … that will be helping KAD79 in the next few weeks to test.

I do, sincerely wish them the best of luck.

P.S. Spent 2 weeks with KAD79 on WDLXTV for the WDTV Media Player (Personal Edition) … that one went better with virtually no risk … since the SMP and the PE use the same Kernal (the Live Hub is different)

But there was a lot of uploading and telnet … and lots and black screens, lock-ups, non-boots before it got to a Stable Release Version.

Joey is right, 100%

and anybody who uses the firmware for Gen4, should thank him, I don’t own the device and could not have created a firmware without somebody willing to test, and provide info

as for any WDLXTV or code I’ve done, it does require a network connection

but there is another way, since you’ll be opening up the device

notice on the left hand side of the board there are 4 pins, this is for a serial cable

you can use a USB to Serial adaptor, just make sure it’s low voltage (normal desktop serial voltage would fry the whole board)

as for skills needs to use the serial connection, I’ve got one connected on my spare SMP, I use it only for reading kernel output

but somebody with more skills could use it to flash a new kernel, new firmware, etc …

just don’t ask me how, I’ve seen quite a few post of folks doing this to recover bricked older devices (live or live plus)

basically, they run Yamon (an external boot loader) to initiate boot over the serial cable, and usually create a TFTP connection to the chip, but having little to no experience with the serial connection, I don’t know what cmd’s are needed, etc …

so yes, it is dangerous, but there is a way to access the chip, also note that once any new firmware is booted, all the normal requirements apply, so if firmware is non-official, as in not signed by WD, then you will permanently loose most the the internet applications

also if you do get the ethernet working again, while I haven’t looked at the driver situation, if it’s the same as prior devices, you’ll find compiling and loading additional drivers will not be very useful, as they will only available for use from cmd line

using the gui to connect to a network is locked down to supported drivers listed within dmaosd