Hardware Enhancement: Volume and Video Source buttons on remote control

I would really like to see in a future release of the WD TV Live devices, the remote control have volume and video source buttons.

This would decrease the amount of remote controls I need when viewing video and other content using the WD TV Live.

If the remote control that had these features were made as a seperate purchase, and be firmware upgradeable like the Logitech Harmony remotes are, I would definately pay extra for that.

Thanks,

Derek

Stonywall wrote: …If the remote control that had these features were made as a seperate purchase, and be firmware upgradeable like the Logitech Harmony remotes are, I would definately pay extra for that.

Why not just use your Harmony remote to take care of all of it for you? No need for WD to make a special remote when the Logitech ones can do practicaly everything for all you AV gear. 

Thanks for replying pearl.

Unfortunately I do not have a Harmony remote at this time.  I am being prevented from buying one as it is $250 in the stores near me.  That being said, i know there are less expensive models, but I’m a “go big or go home” sorta guy, so it wouldn’t sit well with me.  Experience is everything, y’know.

My request was more to have the next generation of units come with a remote that has those features, not for them to get into the Universal Remote product line.  That was my poor choice of words, and I appologise for the use of “Harmony” to describe the features I was hoping to see in a new release.

I do know the Harmony Touch line of remotes are very good and would love one, and if someone would be generous enough to send me one for free that would be great, but I’m a realist and my wife would unfortunately never let me buy one.  That’s why I love her, she helps me keep perspective, especially when I get near electronic goodies.  :smiley:

Some of what you are looking for is already there.

On mine I have HDMI CEC enabled. A compatible TV will respond with volume up when the 1 key is pressed, volume down when the 2 key is pressed, and mute when the mute key is pressed.

Also, with both the TV and the WD TV Live SMP off, pressing the power button turns both units on and switches the TV to the correct HDMI port.

I`d like see volume function on teh remote, too.

IMHO, it can be done easily via new firmware.

There are many buttons which can be assignet fo volume function. For exanmple, Next/Previous page can change volume durind playing video/audio.

Developers, why this idea came to my head??? Im just а user. Probably, Im more clever? What you can say?

Probably not.

Another thing which is missing since the first WDTV is short skips with the arrow-keys during playback. like 5 or 10 seconds forward or backward with the left/right-buttons. I’m sure the coders could add this easily within minutes.

schwurbel wrote:

Another thing which is missing since the first WDTV is short skips with the arrow-keys during playback. like 5 or 10 seconds forward or backward with the left/right-buttons. I’m sure the coders could add this easily within minutes.

Then what would they do with the current function opf the arrow buttons (Subtitle adjustment)?

Add it as another entry in the video options menu alongside “Audio Lip Sync”.