Hard Hrive won't stop blinking/spinning

Guys, I’m beginning to notice that when I turn off the HUB to just “standby” that one of the two External HD’s will continue to spin rapidly and the light continues to blink like there is data transfer taking place. I have no movies playing and there is no network activity going on to cause the HD to “spin-up”. I cannot eject the HD while it is spinning and blinking this way. When I do a hard shutdown of the HUB by holding down power button for 5sec, then the HD completely shuts off like it should. Please Help!

The hub is designed to work like that…

(the same happens with my old wdtv gen 1)

We can’t do nothing, the only solution is to shut down the hub completely.

OG_CpTHOOK wrote:
Guys, I’m beginning to notice that when I turn off the HUB to just “standby” that one of the two External HD’s will continue to spin rapidly and the light continues to blink like there is data transfer taking place. I have no movies playing and there is no network activity going on to cause the HD to “spin-up”. I cannot eject the HD while it is spinning and blinking this way. When I do a hard shutdown of the HUB by holding down power button for 5sec, then the HD completely shuts off like it should. Please Help!> * * *

What do you mean you can’t eject it?   It gives you an error when you try to eject it?

Thanks for the response…! If this is the case, then why is only one of my HD doing this and not both?

if one of the hard drive is blinking… perhaps it is syncing??

Yes… When I try to eject the HD the curser arrow just spins endlessly and gets hung up. I then have to unplug the HUB to reset

I thought it may have been syncing also so I went to the SetUp>>Operation, both options are OFF

**UPDATE** With regard to my external HD ELEMENTS 2TB… It seemed like the HUB would continue to be read/writing to the drive even when no media file had been selected and even when I put the HUB on stand-by. The drive would continue to spin super fast and the read/write light would continue to blink fast… And what’s worse, when I would try and eject the drive from the HUB the cursers arrow would spin endlessly and the HUB would get hung up… I would have to unplug the HUB to reset. I dunno if the was the actual fix, but I accessed the HUB from my PC a switched off the Twonky media server. I ran back upstairs to look at my drive and sure enough the drive finally stopped spinning and blinking. I’m still puzzled by this because I only noticed this problem after I updated to latest firmware this past Monday… Prior to that I never noticed an issue with my drives and I never adjusted any Twonky settings.

How often do you have Twonky configured to update?

I’m guessing you have it set to “-1” which means scan CONSTANTLY.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

How often do you have Twonky configured to update?

I’m guessing you have it set to “-1” which means scan CONSTANTLY.

Well…  I dont have Twonky configured at all, I dont use it.  I just accessed the HUB from my browser, clicked MEDIA and then disabled Twonky(unchecked box) then clicked SUBMIT.  I use Tversity as my primary MS…

Ahh…  Ok…  It appears that the default for that value is -1  (That’s how mine was set, at least, and *I* didn’t do it… :wink: )