Hard drive usage in other device / pc

Hi

Having recently dropped my new cloud device and breaking the white panel, it no longer looks nice on my shelf…

If I remove the sata drive, can I simply attach it to my pc / other Nas drive (not wd cloud) to access the data without having to first back it all up?

Cheers

Nacho

Yes, data volume (3rd partition) formatted as ext4 (native linux format).
For windows - need ext2fs driver.
For another nas - maybe need repartition drive.

So maybe not then…

Does the My Cloud no longer work after being dropped? If the unit continues to function why remove the drive to pull the data off it?

If the My Cloud no longer functions after being dropped then you can remove the hard drive from the enclosure and attach it to a computer using either a external enclosure/docking station or if your (desktop) computer has a spare SATA port you can attach it to the computer using the spare SATA port.

Windows does not by default have the proper drivers to read the My Cloud hard drive. There are various third party programs you can install that will provide the drivers needed to access the My Cloud hard drive. Or you can simply download a Linux Live CD, like one from Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop), and create a boot disc or boot USB flash drive and boot the computer using that Linux Live CD. From there you can read/write to the My Cloud hard drive.

So maybe yes, then…

You may want to read this thread, where a MyCloud disk was connected to a Windows PC and able to be mounted as a disk:

If the impact was sufficient to smash the white housing of the MyCloud, I’d worry about just what damage has been done to the HDD, and how long it will keep running before it fails. High-g impacts are very bad news for hard disk drives…

If the MyCloud still works, I’d agree with Bennor: why change it? Get some glue or duct tape out and fix the housing…

[quote=“cpt_paranoia, post:5, topic:179464”]
If the impact was sufficient to smash the white housing of the MyCloud, I’d worry about just what damage has been done to the HDD, and how long it will keep running before it fails. High-g impacts are very bad news for hard disk drives…
[/quote] 100% agree. I would first locate a place to make a safe point even before attempting anything with the damaged unit. Next I would attempt to use the damaged unit as is for the sole purpose of making a safe point. If the unit powers on and you’re successful on making a safe point order another unit.
###I would NOT trust a hard drive that endured such a violent fall to break the plastic My Cloud enclosure

its not smashed or damaged beyond repair, it is actually a relatively small bit of case damage. the drive works just fine all the time. I personally don’t like chips or breaks etc on anything.

the drive is perfectly ok, just wanted to know if it could easily be put into another device. I have either my pc or I have a sinology diskstation. my query was whether I could simply mount it without having to back up the hard disk, format it and then copy it back :slight_smile :slight_smile:

thanks

nacho

@Fox_exe, you said its native linux format. My Cloud stopped connecting and the warranty was out, so I read up at tried this method. I took the drive out of the casing and put it on a docking station. I ran parallels on my imac and installed ubuntu 16.04lts. I connected the dock via usb with the WD red HD on the dock but nothing shows. The drive still was spinning when it was in the My Cloud casing so the HD is good. Is there something specific I need to do in ubuntu or should it automatically show up like everything else. Thanks for any info!

I have the same issue here.
I’m moving to a house that hasn’t got a good wifi connection nor a powerful internet signal. I’d like to use the WD Red SATA drives on a docking bay connected to my iMac.
Can I do this?

Not sure what your question is. Can one remove the internal hard drive from a My Cloud enclosure, attach it to a computer using a spare SATA port/cable or using a USB hard drive enclosure, and expect the drive to continue operating as an NAS/media server? Short answer, no. Can one remove the internal hard drive from a My Cloud enclosure, attach it to a computer using a spare SATA port/cable or using a USB hard drive enclosure, repartition/reformat the drive for use as a single partition hard drive? Yes. One would need to partition and format the drive in a format readable by the host computer.

1 Like

Yes indeed, that’s what I need, to be able to connect it on a bay and format it to use as a single partition drive :slight_smile: