Hard drive 800 port catching smoke/flame

Recently, I’ve noticed my Studio Edition Mybook 2TB Drive’s started smelling like burning metal every time i used it. I didn’t think too much of it because i thought it was just getting hot over long usage times (Video Editing).  This morning, i plugged in the 800 firewire and a small burst of fire came out of the other 800 firewire port. Definitely scared the tar out of me… Now my port is charred and I’m left wondering what’s going on.

I’m thinking it’s a power issue. I’m working off of an old G5 tower from 2006 (Tiger). Maybe there’s a wattage difference in the computer and the hard drive? I tried it on an older G4 tower and it did the same thing. My co-workers have no problem with them, and they’re working off of much newer computer’s.

Can anyone enlighten me? Anyone ever have the same kind of issue?

kenjiito wrote:

Recently, I’ve noticed my Studio Edition Mybook 2TB Drive’s started smelling like burning metal every time i used it. I didn’t think too much of it because i thought it was just getting hot over long usage times (Video Editing).  This morning, i plugged in the 800 firewire and a small burst of fire came out of the other 800 firewire port. Definitely scared the tar out of me… Now my port is charred and I’m left wondering what’s going on.

I’m thinking it’s a power issue. I’m working off of an old G5 tower from 2006 (Tiger). Maybe there’s a wattage difference in the computer and the hard drive? I tried it on an older G4 tower and it did the same thing. My co-workers have no problem with them, and they’re working off of much newer computer’s.

Can anyone enlighten me? Anyone ever have the same kind of issue?

I definitely think you have a power problem.  Does the drive even still work if you connect it to one of the newer computers?  cause that would be amazing.  just so you know, it may also be a problem with the studio drive itself. 

Yes it still works. I have to add that I didnt even have the power connected to the hard drive. I’m sure the “power surge” came from the older computers.

then I would stop connecting the drive, or any other device for that matter, to the older computers, until you find out exactly what the problem is and fix it.  you could end up burning out those devices.

Ok, Thank you. I guess i should start directing my question over to Apple?

Does anyone know of any good articles out there about proper set ups/safety about electricity at a computer area? Now I’m wondering if my edit bay’s electrical set up is proper/safe. Both old computer’s that did this are in the same room.

kenjiito wrote:

Does anyone know of any good articles out there about proper set ups/safety about electricity at a computer area?

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/ups_installation_and_configuration#

http://news.tigerdirect.com/2007/01/25/quick-tips-setting-up-your-uninterruptible-power-supply-ups-the-right-way/

1 Like