Handbrake + mkvmerge

Mike, I thing BDSup2Sub is responsible for the lack of borders in BD’s.   I see the same thing with mine; no borders.

You taught me your workflow, and I use the same.  :)

Hmmm, you may be right – BDSup2Sub does translate the subs into images, that’s for sure.

Actually, the only time I *really* care about subs is when they are forced – for the handful of films that need them they are definitely needed (and even then I wish the Live would respect the “forced” flag).  Other than that I could care less (but I have been spending the time to make them on the off chance that my hearing will deteriorate so that one day I’d have wished I did them.  I suppose I could just ignore that and if/when that happens go ahead and redo all my stuff but it doesn’t add more than a few minutes to each one so I guess I’ll keep doing it).

I keep them because my house is so noisy with kids running around that I just turn the volume down and turn subs on and read.

Plus, my youngest daughter is pre-school age, so seeing words in her shows is good for her reading, too.

Ah, yes, kids.  I remember them (dimly :>).

For me at *least* half the joy of a movie is the sound (which is why I have an AVR even in the bedroom).  So for as long as I *can* hear, I want to hear it gloriously.

(Subs would be great to teach reading skills, though – kids nowadays have SO many advantages over my childhood years, back before prohibition).

I have to admit, I do have two boys of my own, school-age, and once they start tearing around the house, the comprehension level for any audio/visual entertainment drops to a near-zero.  That’s one of the reasons I’ve wanted subtitles to all the stuff I’ve encoded.  The main reason, however, is purely selfish in nature–the series I’ve encoded is a famous family comedy, whose jokes I can use myself in my own family!  The subtitles not only solidify what is being said on screen, but also aid in the desemination of said jokes for the pure evil intent on using them on my familial offspring and siblings. 

In other words, there is nothing so sweet than throwing a couple of one-line zingers to brothers and sisters when they think they have the upper hand in an argument!  :smileyvery-happy:

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Mike, I thing BDSup2Sub is responsible for the lack of borders in BD’s.   I see the same thing with mine; no borders.

You taught me your workflow, and I use the same.  :)

Um, I just checked and I DO get borders with subs in BD.  So I’m not sure why you don’t.

mkelley wrote:

Nearly 98% of my rips are blu-rays and subs don’t seem to have any borders even played in VLC,

I have just checked a handful of my BDs. They have no borders/shadows (or a very tiny, largespace dotline) when played with the Live, but are clearly backed by a shadow when played with VLC. This is for MKV with embedded SUB/IDX.

What version of BDSup2Sub are you using, Mike?

Cocovanna

Um, I’m sure it’s an old version (I got it last year and never updated – can’t check as I’m on my laptop now).

I do see a border clearly, but I have a 9’ HD image to see it on .

That’s the problem with a projector … you can’t move close enough to the screen, because you are blocking the light :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Cocovanna :wink: