Handbrake Advice

Good Day All,

I have finally decided to take the plunge and try to backup the multitude of DVD’s I have. I have used DVD Shrink in the past with good success but only for making backup DVD’s. I now want to save these movies as .mkv files on my WD external drive for playing on the WD TV LIve player. I have been to the Handbrake.build site (as suggested in previous posts) and noticed some interesting things. One was a statement that the builds were not stable. Does that mean that the latest build (14 nov) may not work? Should I choose a slightly older build? I understand that the GUI is the one I want. There was also a ?build called Fedora. What is this one?

I want to test Handbrake with my unencrypted movies to get the feel for it before I try using the trial period of AnyDVD. If all works out OK, I will buy AnyDVD and live happily ever after :smiley:

Any advice on this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bry

AnyDVD (HD) with Handbrake is all I ever use for all my DVDs and blu-ray needs.

Use any of the nightly builds with confidence – while they always give a warning they are stable and will work for you (if not, get the next build that *will* be stable :>).  Once you find one that works for you, don’t worry about updating unless there is something in a new one you need.

And for all your DVDs and blu-rays I recommend only using the High Profile preset (but change the output type to MKV and pass through any DTS or AC3 tracks you want).  That’s really the only thing you need do – don’t worry about any other settings or changes.

Thanks Mike,

Good advice and I will follow it. I’m out of town for the next week but I will grt busy when I return on Friday. Any idea what Fedors is (besides a hat)? Just curious.

Bry

Its an operating system based on Linux

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fedora_(operating_system)

Fedora is a Linux-based operating system.

I did bash together a quick run-through of Handbrake over in this thread for someone else:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-HD/Help-with-retaining-chapters/m-p/79781#M2439

Obviously, if you don’t want chapters, subtitles, etc. those bits wouldn’t apply.

BGWhite wrote:

I have finally decided to take the plunge and try to backup the multitude of DVD’s I have. I have used DVD Shrink in the past with good success but only for making backup DVD’s. I now want to save these movies as .mkv files on my WD external drive for playing on the WD TV LIve player.

No need for Handbrake then, just use MakeMKV.

Tech Flaws,

Thanks for the tip. Had some fun today with the latest beta of MakeMKV. I found this to be a most useful tool. After about 5 min of fooling around, I had it running. First, I converted some old unprotected discs and they turned out perfect. Then I tried some “store bought” DVDs and they converted perfectly as well. Just took a little longer, that’s all. I left out all the junk, just converted the main video and the 5.1 DD audio files. Very simple to use, the WD Live loves it and free to boot as well :smiley: Now the work starts 'cause I have about 200 DVDs to put on the portable HD.

Again, thanks.

Bry