H.264 HD out of sync

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Wow, good find, Rich!  

I thought so but it looks like it was completely ignored. Perhaps its not what the poster wants to hear!

richUK wrote:

thought so but it looks like it was completely ignored. Perhaps its not what the poster wants to hear!

It’s an answer, but not a solution. I read those posts before you brought them up here. Sure you can fix the speed up, but at the sacrifice of playback smoothness. How does one Re-encode the Revision3 material from the MediaFly player in WDTV Live Plus?

All I want to HEAR, is ONE solution. Either Rev3 or WD needs to move off the ball. Or give me the mkvmerge settings that will fix it.

All I want to hear is “we acknowledge the problem and have a fix coming out in the next firmware revision and when.”

I’ll try the ffmpeg convertor and see if it corrects the issue with my files. (Is that the answer you are trying to say I’m ignoring?)

krowland wrote:

richUK wrote:

thought so but it looks like it was completely ignored. Perhaps its not what the poster wants to hear!

It’s an answer, but not a solution. I read those posts before you brought them up here. Sure you can fix the speed up, but at the sacrifice of playback smoothness. How does one Re-encode the Revision3 material from the MediaFly player in WDTV Live Plus?

All I want to HEAR, is ONE solution. Either Rev3 or WD needs to move off the ball. Or give me the mkvmerge settings that will fix it.

All I want to hear is “we acknowledge the problem and have a fix coming out in the next firmware revision and when.”

I’ll try the ffmpeg convertor and see if it corrects the issue with my files. (Is that the answer you are trying to say I’m ignoring?)

I was saying that you completely ignored my post where I posted a link which dealt with your problem in detail. 

We are simply users like you who only helping people with problems. If you have indeed read all these posts before then why haven’t you at least tried the solution put forward.

You will also note that the new beta firmware for the WDTV Live did not completely cure the problem and the output is not smooth.

richUK wrote:

I was saying that you completely ignored my post where I posted a link which dealt with your problem in detail. 

We are simply users like you who only helping people with problems. If you have indeed read all these posts before then why haven’t you at least tried the solution put forward.

You will also note that the new beta firmware for the WDTV Live did not completely cure the problem and the output is not smooth.

Which cure, the one where the guy yells at Revision 3 to fix their encoder or the one where I have to seek out and install some commandline tool for linux called ffmpeg and reprocess Revision3 files?

I’m not near my unit, so when I get home, I’ll try to find a ffmpeg that will run on Mac and try to download the revision 3 files and try the posters suggestion. I however didn’t have any confidence in his solution as he posted it as a possible solution. I never saw and followup post as to whether it actually fixed anything for anybody.

Sorry to be bothering you all. If it fixes it, I’ll post my results. If not… you won’t hear from me again, as I’ll probably return the unit, and go with the PopCorn.

I just don’t think you’re going to get a lot of people agreeing that WDTV should fix Rev3’s problem.

Even though they technically COULD, I don’t think they SHOULD.

They have enough issues where they are NOT compliant with standards to worry about; they don’t need to spend their time worrying about OTHER sources not being compliant and fixing THAT.

Revision 3: We’re not going to worry about just one player!

Elgato: We’re not going to just worry about any one player!

WDTV: We’re not going to worry about just one encoder platform or network!

Users: Frustrated

krowland wrote:

Revision 3: We’re not going to worry about just one player!

Elgato: We’re not going to just worry about any one player!

WDTV: We’re not going to worry about just one encoder platform or network!

Users: Frustrated

Do you agree or not that there appears to be something wrong with revision3 encoding as was suggested by the poster in the revision3 forum? If indeed the new beta firmware for the Live does play the file at least the correct speed then there is every reason to believe that the new firmware for the WDTV live plus will also include this update.

As to watching the revison3 videos on mediafly why not pick a different encoded file, there appears to be about 4 or 5 different encodings for each episode. I am now watching yesterdays episode of tekzilla without any problems with video speed.

richUK wrote:

Do you agree or not that there appears to be something wrong with revision3 encoding as was suggested by the poster in the revision3 forum? If indeed the new beta firmware for the Live does play the file at least the correct speed then there is every reason to believe that the new firmware for the WDTV live plus will also include this update.

As to watching the revison3 videos on mediafly why not pick a different encoded file, there appears to be about 4 or 5 different encodings for each episode. I am now watching yesterdays episode of tekzilla without any problems with video speed.

You’re running Beta copy of firmware that is not available to me.

I performed the ffmpeg conversion process as detailed in the post your provided, it did not work. Doesn’t even pass the first frame.

So if WDTV is the only player to not be able to play Revision 3 HD files, it’s Revision 3’s problem. Nice pass.

richUK wrote:

_ _Do you agree or not that there appears to be something wrong with revision3 encoding as was suggested by the poster in the revision3 forum?

No, they are using standard tool sets that are available. Other players work fine.

richUK wrote:
If indeed the new beta firmware for the Live does play the file at least the correct speed then there is every reason to believe that the new firmware for the WDTV live plus will also include this update.

That must mean there was a bug fixed. 

richUK wrote:

Still does help me with hundred of existing files already encoded. I used Rev3 as a publically available example. There are others who have this same issue, I’ve been to the Elgato forums also.

So without any further help from the “estemed contributors”, I’m RE-ENCODING my files.

At least we spent some time and effort helping. You carry on.

Okay, 30 fps is a very odd frame rate. 

for film, it’s 23.976.  for NTSC, it’s 29.97.  that alone can cause sync problems.  you shouldn’t change framerates for videos unless you really know what you’re doing.  what was the original source of these videos?

regardless, you can use a program like handbrake.  make sure you set the correct framerate when using handbrake. the “auto” option is terrible.  the videos that I encoded with “auto” turned out terrible in terms of sync.  I set 23.976 for film.  29.97 for video.  now if you’re not sure on what settings, first check out the original information for the video.  use mediainfo. 

after you install mediainfo, you right click on your video file and it’ll tell you everything about that video file (the video and audio settings, the included audio tracks, the subtitles, etc).  that will give you information on how to convert the file with minimal changes.

for handbrake, i think the “high profile” under regular with the mkv container is the easiest very good option.  you want universal playback so avoid apple specific settings.  you have to decide:  do you want it for apple products or do you want it for everything.  there’s no point in using the mp4 container. mkv can do what mp4 does and does it much better in addition to providing much more flexibility in what the container can contain.

here are the main tools i use (of course, it depends on the situation):

-  popcorn audio converter.  for adding ac3 tracks to mkv’s with dts or aac or vorbis or whatever.

-  handbrake.

-  megui.

handbrake and megui for encoding mkv videos.

-  tsmuxer and gui.  to demux m2ts files so that I can prepare proper mkv files

-  timeadjuster.  to synchronize internet subtitles with videos i have that do not have subtitles

-  subrip

-  suprip

subrip and suprip are to convert dvd and bluray and hd-dvd subtitles to srt files.  srt files look much better on the screen.

-  mkvmerge

to assemble video and audio and subtitle tracks into an mkv file

-  mkvextract

to pull things out of an mkv

-  hd-dvd/bluray stream extractor.

to get my hd-dvds and bluray ready for conversion to mkv files

i find that handbrake is a major reason for lazy encoding by a lot of people.  because the program is so popular and because they tried to simplify the interface and by putting these “auto” options everywhere, they create sloppy files.  people want to click on 1 button and out comes a perfect video file.  PC’s are great at handling sloppy files.  but devices like the WD TV require proper encoding with proper settings.  you’ll notice video files created by hard core video/audiophiles are always rock solid on any platform.