[GUIDE] TRANSMISSION 2.84 on mybooklive (02.43.10-048)

You need to download latest MyBook live firmware and install it again. Restoring to default settings will not do a trick.
Set up a Remote and Mobile access.

Reboot, verify if it works.

Install transmission. You are again no longer able to add new remote or mobile access, but previously set should work.

1 Like

Lets see the error message from this line.

Follow this steps:

1. You need to connect as root on your mybooklive
  2. Type and press enter:
    mkdir /shares/Public/tmpCompile
  3. Type and press enter:
    cd /shares/Public/tmpCompile
  4. Type and press enter:
    wget https://github.com/downloads/libevent/libevent/libevent-2.0.18-stable.tar.gz

This should show the error about step 11/22. Post it here

Hi proglin,
Thank you for your answer, this is the error message i have :

MyBookLive:~# mkdir /shares/Public/tmpCompile
mkdir: cannot create directory `/shares/Public/tmpCompileā€™: File exists
MyBookLive:~# cd /shares/Public/tmpCompile
MyBookLive:/shares/Public/tmpCompile# wget https://github.com/downloads/libev ent/libevent/libevent-2.0.18-stable.tar.gz
ā€“2019-01-14 10:03:29-- https://github.com/downloads/libevent/libevent/libev ent-2.0.18-stable.tar.gz
Resolving github.comā€¦ 140.82.118.4, 140.82.118.3
Connecting to github.com|140.82.118.4|:443ā€¦ connected.
OpenSSL: error:1407742E:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:tlsv1 alert proto col version
Unable to establish SSL connection.

I hope to get this problem solved! :tired_face:

Same error.
Does anyone solve this ?

Thanks for your response. The problem is related with SSL connection. MyBookLive system is too old to allow new certificates system for SSL. Iā€™m going to see if there is an alternative. If there is one you will need to test for me because I donā€™t have mybooklive anymore :slight_smile:

Ok. I think there is a solution. You guys need to test and tell me if it works or where it fails (As I said: I donā€™t have this device anymore).

There a few more steps now:

• create a folder inside your PUBLIC share:

tmpDL

• Inside the tmpDL folder put this 2 files downloaded from:

https://github.com/transmission/transmission-releases/raw/master/transmission-2.84.tar.xz
https://github.com/downloads/libevent/libevent/libevent-2.0.18-stable.tar.gz

• So inside your PUBLIC/tmpDL folder you should see:

transmission-2.84.tar.xz
libevent-2.0.18-stable.tar.gz

Now you follow the instructions from 1st post

Hi Proglin!!

Thank you for your reply but always the same problem at the same step. I link the error message below.

MyBookLive:~# vi setup.sh
MyBookLive:~# chmod 777 ./setup.sh
MyBookLive:~# ./setup.sh
./setup.sh: line 1: Install transmission bittorrent client on mybooklive - 2019 - Pastebin.com No such file or directory
Welcome! Compile and Install Transmission 2.84
Created by Proglin v2015-09-10
Last Update: v2017-06-14
ALWAYS back up your data before proceeding.
This script was only tested with MyBookLive firmware 02.43.10-048
Your firmware version is: 02.43.10-048 Thu Apr 13 05:44:51 PDT 2017

NOTE from Author: I have not MyBookLive since 2016. Changes after 2016 are based
on user forum comments.

We are going to change some configs to install Tranmission
This process takes around 30 minutes. Are you sure? (Y/N)y

1/22 Configuring repositoriesā€¦ (part 1/3) OK!
2/22 Installing packagesā€¦ (part 1/7) OK!
3/22 Installing packagesā€¦ (part 2/7) OK!
4/22 Installing packagesā€¦ (part 3/7) OK!
5/22 Installing packagesā€¦ (part 4/7) OK!
6/22 Installing packagesā€¦ (part 5/7) OK!
7/22 Configuring repositoriesā€¦ (part 2/3) OK!
8/22 Installing packagesā€¦ (part 6/7) OK!
9/22 Configuring repositoriesā€¦ (part 3/3) OK!
10/22 Installing packagesā€¦ (part 7/7) OK!
11/22 Downloading sources of LIBEVENTā€¦The command failed, exiting.
MyBookLive:~#

However, I respect the step 4 as you said! :tired_face:
And also of course i created folders an put files into it!

Hi,

I tested yesterday and it works perfectly.
Your error indicates that you are still on the old ā€œsetupā€ file.
Try to delete and rewrite it as indicating by modifying step 4

1 Like

Your log have to show

• Last Update v2019-01-30

This is the lastest script. You are running the old one as @zougor noticed

Hi @Proglin thank you for your answer, and sorry for the delay but i had some internet issues.

Now i have an other problem at 7/22 look at this message :

Welcome! Compile and Install Transmission 2.84
Created by Proglin v2015-09-10
Last Update: v2019-01-30
ALWAYS back up your data before proceeding.
This script was only tested with MyBookLive firmware 02.43.10-048
Your firmware version is: 02.43.10-048 Thu Apr 13 05:44:51 PDT 2017

NOTE from Author: I have not MyBookLive since 2016. Changes after 2016 are based
on user forum comments.

We are going to change some configs to install Tranmission
This process takes around 30 minutes. Are you sure? (Y/N)y

1/22 Configuring repositoriesā€¦ (part 1/3) OK!
2/22 Installing packagesā€¦ (part 1/7) OK!
3/22 Installing packagesā€¦ (part 2/7) OK!
4/22 Installing packagesā€¦ (part 3/7) OK!
5/22 Installing packagesā€¦ (part 4/7) OK!
6/22 Installing packagesā€¦ (part 5/7) OK!
7/22 Configuring repositoriesā€¦ (part 2/3)The command failed, exiting.

:weary:

I have resolved this issue:

Found out that wheezy was deleted and moved to archive.debian.org.
You can try now using this for setup.sh:

https://pastebin.com/VtqkAdtN

Awesome!!! Itā€™s working again!!! :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Thx!

1 Like

Hi, Milos, when the script warns about ā€œALWAYS back up your data before proceeding.ā€ it making reference to torrent data or entire MBL data?

Thanks in advance for your support

GG.

Iā€™ve just fixed the original script from @Proglin to work again, but I think he was referring to the entire MBL data. If something breaks you could lose network access to the mybooklive, but you can always disassemble it and recover the data by attaching the hard drive directly to a computer :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the fix! I just update the original script and the tutorial :grinning:

1 Like

Nice to read that your problem is fixed

It is just a precaution if anything goes wrong because you are going to access your mybooklive using the ā€œrootā€. But as @milosgacanovic wrote if you somehow make some missteps you can disassemble it

Hi, I just wanted to install the torrent client today, but I have run into some errors.
First, I have downloaded the latest versions of those two files from here:
https://github.com/transmission/transmission-releases/raw/master/transmission-3.00.tar.xz
and
https://github.com/libevent/libevent/releases/download/release-2.1.12-stable/libevent-2.1.12-stable.tar.gz
I have also made changes in setup.sh according to these files.

BUT!

Therefore I run into errors, I have downloaded the original versions of these files, and than just run the setup.sh, but I still got errors.
I think the problem is, that I just can run the setup.sh in bash for some reason. I can run anything on my NAS just like that, but this cause the problem, because I am in bash. But my knowledge is weak to fix this issue. So please help me to modify the setup.sh to able to run in bash, OR fix the issue with the NAS, and than I could run the original setup.sh or enything else normally.

Here is what I did so far:

This shell script just works in a ā€œdefaultā€ firmware. So, if you tried to install and it fails you need to restore firmware to default one.

As I said here, I cant test the script anymore. I donā€™t know if they release a new firmware compatible with recent transmissions SSL requirements. Take a look here2

So, if you want to install version 2.84 you might try this script but, after rollback to a ā€œdefaultā€ firmware state try to run: ./setup.sh instead of bash ./setup.sh

good luck :slight_smile:

Thanks for the link.
I had to swap my hard drive to another one in the MBL, and I reinstalled the system with this method: [GUIDE] How to unbrick a totally dead MBL.
I am not able to update the firmware at all, always get an error message. So I stucked with a firmware which is a stock firmware, version 02.41.05-034 what was in the image file, but itā€™s pretty weird, I am not able to run any script on it with ./, I have to use bash ./ and get these errors during running your script, it has problems with the if - fi command for instace etc.