[GUIDE] Transmission 2.82

Please note: WD does not support installing 3rd party apps on the WD My Cloud. If you do, you do so at your own risk, and doing so can cause the UI and other things to break on Firmware Version 4.0.   Bill_S

Here’s another simple to follow guide. Just copy and paste the lines in the code boxes and you will have Transmission running in no time

This type of modification is done at your own risk and will void the warranty of the drive

UPDATED 11-10-13 Added an optional but recommened option to the bottom of the guide to allow you to move your .torrent files from the OS volume to your DataVolume for easy access and so they don’t eat up space on the OS volume

Tools needed: PuTTY (Windows) Terminal (Mac)

SSH Enabled

Username: root

Password: welc0me

Backup your sources.list

cp /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.bak

Add the sid repo to sources.list

echo deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ sid main >> /etc/apt/sources.list

Update the sid packages list

apt-get update

Install Transmission - When asked to continue the installation type y and hit enter

apt-get install transmission-cli transmission-common transmission-daemon

Stop Transmission so you can edit the settings.json file

/etc/init.d/transmission-daemon stop

Set Transmission to run as ROOT (Optional)

sed -i 's/USER=debian-transmission/USER=root /g' /etc/init.d/transmission-daemon

Disable the dashboard login

sed -i 's/"rpc-authentication-required": true,/"rpc-authentication-required": false,/g' /etc/transmission-daemon/settings.json

Disable the RPC whitelist so you can access the Transmission GUI

sed -i 's/"rpc-whitelist-enabled": true,/"rpc-whitelist-enabled": false,/g' /etc/transmission-daemon/settings.json

Move back your original sources.list

mv -f /etc/apt/sources.list.bak /etc/apt/sources.list

Start Transmission

/etc/init.d/transmission-daemon start

Login to the Transmission GUI

your mycloud ip or network name :9091

Click the wrench icon on the bottom left

In the Download To box enter /DataVolume/shares/Public/Transmission or any share on your MyCloud

If you wish to make further modifications to the settings.json make sure you stop Transmission first

/etc/init.d/transmission-daemon stop

Then to edit settings to your liking using nano (Cursor around to make changes)

nano /etc/transmission-daemon/settings.json

To Save the changes

Hit Control and o

Hit enter

Hit control and x

Then to start Transmission again

/etc/init.d/transmission-daemon start

OPTIONAL but recommended

For those wishing to have access to the actual .torrent files easily from the DataVolume

Create a folder called torrents in your Public folder

SSH in and move any Torrents you currently have in  /var/lib/transmission-daemon/info/torrents to your computer

SSH in and issue

rmdir /var/lib/transmission-daemon/info/torrents

ln -s /DataVolume/shares/Public/torrents /var/lib/transmission-daemon/info/torrents

Your torrents will now be stored in /Public/torrents for ease of access and won’t take up space on the OS volume

15 Likes

Thanks for your work, easy to understand.

Will you make a guide to RSS downloading? That is a bit more complicated!

1 Like

I can surely give it a look. Is there a particular program you’re lookin at?

1 Like

GUIDE updated 11-10-13

Added an optional but recommened option to the bottom of the guide to allow you to move your .torrent files from the OS volume to your DataVolume for easy access and so they don’t eat up space on the OS volume

1 Like

Whatever can download from RSS feed with Transmission, for example FlexGet.

how about this?

http://harx.nl/download-torrents-via-rss-using-transmission/

@alirz1yeah, I was checking out flexget and while it looks easy to install, it relies heavily on the command line. I’m not sure if that is the best RSS solution for most folks in this forum. While there is an optional GUI, it is alpha/beta at best. What are your thoughts alirz1?

1 Like

Transmission does not load my file. Writes that “Error: Unable to save resume file: No space left on device”.

Initially was injected and 60 percent stopped. Replaced the path / DataVolume / shares / Public / Transmission

What to do?

paste the output of  “df -h”   here

I like idea of installing this on My Cloud… but should I forsee having issues applying firmware updates? Would I need to uninstall the installed/modified files that make up this package before a firmware upgrade? Just wandering, because some firmware  updates check that the existing firmware is kosher before continuing with the installation.

How to do it. Can you explain? Thank you!

Tamanaco wrote:

I like idea of installing this on My Cloud… but should I forsee having issues applying firmware updates? Would I need to uninstall the installed/modified files that make up this package before a firmware upgrade? Just wandering, because some firmware  updates check that the existing firmware is kosher before continuing with the installation.

Nope no worries with firmware updates (I have tested this)

I don’t believe it modified any system files when I installed it

A firmware updated will actually delete the Transmission install, forcing you to install it again

1 Like

Stanislav129 wrote:

How to do it. Can you explain? Thank you!

I’m not sure what you’re looking for? If you are looking for help using PuTTY or Terminal to login to the MyCloud, just login to the MyCloud using either program using the MyCloud’s network name or IP address and port 22 and then when prompted, use the supplied username and password. The rest is just copy/pasting what’s in the guide code boxes to your PuTTY or Terminal window.

Nope no worries with firmware updates (I have tested this)

I don’t believe it modified any system files when I installed it

A firmware updated will actually delete the Transmission install, forcing you to install it again

Thanks for clarifying… I think I’ll wait until after the next firmware update which I hope won’t be too long from now. 

nfodiz

what firmware are you running these days - im still running  02.11.09-053 : Core F/W after some problems earlier on that you helped with.

Also your thoughts on which is the better DLNA server?

I got to the third step “apt-get update” and this is what I recieved: 

E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room. Please increase the size of APT::Cache-Limit. C urrent value: 25165824. (man 5 apt.conf)
E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room. Please increase the size of APT::Cache-Limit. C urrent value: 25165824. (man 5 apt.conf)
E: Error occurred while processing cups-dbg (NewVersion1)
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.us.debian.org_debian_dists_sid_ main_binary-powerpc_Packages
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
MyBookLive:~#

I’m a total newbie to this. Brand new MBL with the newest firmware. Literally just took it out of the box. What am I doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated. I’m trying to get Transmission up and running and then installing Couchpotato so I can download torrents directly to the MBL. 

hello, got this error warning message

WDMyCloud:~# /etc/init.d/transmission-daemon start

[…] Starting bittorrent daemon: transmission-daemon[03:02:20.190] JSON parse failed in /var/lib/transmission-daemon/info/settings.json at **bleep** 1513: SPECIAL_EXPECTED – remaining text ".

“rpc-bind”

(warning).

help plz

how to install no-ip service in mycloud?

After firmware update, I reinstall Transmission. All torrent i’m leaching and seeding gone away. How to prevent that ?

after intall transmission, I try to play any video on my tv, and tv can’t play mkv.

with ps3 media server can play mkv, but not with media server on mycloud.

how do i play it?