[GUIDE] Transmission 2.82

Apologies if this reply seems like it should be elsewhere moved from here under instruction from WD http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Book-Live/Root-directory-is-full-No-SSH-No-UI-access/td-p/738728

I cannot access the UI or SSH

I can access the Feature Pack Manager login screen but can’t actually log in.

I can access the transmission web page but have stopped and remove all torrents hoping this would help.

My mybooklive is accessible by windows explorer and SMB, Public folder only.

I cannot access my other shares but I believe they are still there.

I believe the root directory is full. I think this because Transmission couldn’t save resume file (and I suspect this is because of transmission)

Does anyone have any ideas on how to access my other shares.

I would like to retrieve the files before I send the device back for RMA (which is approved)

History

My mybooklive was playing up. The enitre hard rive was full at one stage. I have since deleted a lot of files and it is down to

Transmission not working properly and when I tried to log into the UI it asked for owner password.

When I entered the incorrect pasword would get red text “Incorrect Password” when I entered the correct password I would get no text.

So I rest the mybook with the reset button on the back. Problem continued still had SSH.

I did a factory restore with the -noreformat option through SSH.

Now SSH is not enabled and I only get a blank screen when I try the UI and all the variations I can think of.

HELP

Thanks Rod

I think at this point, you might just want to take out the drive, plug it into a linux computer (ubuntu live disk) and delete, mount and delete some stuff from the full paritions to see if that fixes the issue.

Thanks alirz1 was hoping to find some other way.

finally the solution i made if u have permission denied error when u try to run a new exe or delete a dir u just download

1. make a txt file and put this 2 commands:

cd /DataVolume/ 

chmod 777 -R shares

2. name it like commands.txt and place it on safe locatiion like on c:/ 

3.make a putty shortcut on desktop

4.right click properties 

5 on destinanation line add this after putty.exe:

(putty.exe) -ssh root@ipaddressofurcloud -pw passworduloginonssh -m pathofcommand.txt

here is a copy of mine: C:\Users\spiti\Downloads\putty.exe -ssh root@192.168.1.47 -pw welc0me -m C:\commands.txt

6.click aplly and thats it

so when u dl something new you must only run the shortcut.

dont worry if when u run the shortcut open putty for seconds and close after writing using username “root” it is ok and working

i know its not perfect put is acceptable 

works both for transmission and pyload permission problems

pm me if anyone have problems on this

thnx

Actually if you search for transmission guide/steps i had posted in another post and also another user posted similar steps in the begining of this thread, there should be no need to run putty to give proper permissions every single time you download something. That would **bleep**…

To sum it up, this should take care of everything for good:

ssh to the mycloud and then do the following

/etc/init.d/transmission-daemon stop

chmod -R 777 /shares/data/Downloads                 (point to your download directory)

chmod g+s /shares/data/Downloads                       (point to your download directory)

chown -R user1:share /etc/transmission-daemon/settings.json               (user1 is the username that you use to log into the mycloud dashboard)

chown -R user1:share /var/lib/transmission-daemon/

usermod -a -G root user1        (add user1 to the root group. Some people might not like this, but im not a security manianc) 

/etc/init.d/transmission-daemon start

My transmission has been working ok.

I changed plans with my provider from a data cap plan to an unlimited plan than may from time to time have P2P throttling then i seemed to notice some slow down.

Now it has stalled altogether. I have restarted the MBL and my Modem. I have also reinstalled uTorrent on my laptop and it downloads fine. Im stuck as what to do.

df-h results posted below - looklike ramlog is 100%? perhaps this is it and i need to clean it out. Ill ask here on what and how to do that as im not 100% on what that directory does.

MyBookLive:~# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/md1 1.9G 674M 1.2G 37% /
tmpfs 50M 0 50M 0% /lib/init/rw
udev 10M 6.6M 3.5M 66% /dev
tmpfs 50M 0 50M 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 50M 3.9M 47M 8% /tmp
ramlog-tmpfs 20M 20M 0 100% /var/log
/dev/sda4 2.8T 1.9T 927G 67% /DataVolume

Thanks

That is simply where various logs are stored. However the system should be rotating logs.

ssh to your drive and go into the directory and take a look to see if theres any big log file or something.

I’m assuming you know your way with ssh and basic linux?

Thanks

Went into var/log directory and Had a look around and found a 4 & 3 MB file, so deleted them.

df -h still shows ramlog-tmpfs at 100% used.

heres a screenshot of the problem.

Trackers fail to connect also, is there a way to update the trackers list?

It is all connected to peers but just not recieving anything? or allowing it to be sent.

Hopefully this image is allowed, apologies if it is not.

go into the /var/log  directory, run the command below and paste the output here.

du -hs * |sort -h

Thanks, 

MyBookLive:~# cd …
MyBookLive:/# cd var
MyBookLive:/var# cd log
MyBookLive:/var/log# du -hs * |sort -h
sort: invalid option – ‘h’
Try `sort --help’ for more information.
MyBookLive:/var/log# du -hs *
1.0M apache2
128K apt
512K daemon.log
704K daemon.log.1
64K dmesg
64K dmesg.0
64K dmesg.1.gz
64K dmesg.2.gz
64K kern.log
0 lpr.log
0 mail.err
0 mail.info
0 mail.log
0 mail.warn
64K mediacrawler.log
64K mediacrawler.log.1
64K messages
64K miocrawler.log
0 news
64K openvpn.out
64K purge.log
64K ramlog
64K rest_api.log
576K rest_api.log.1
320K samba
64K sshd.log
0 sysstat
64K user.log
64K user.log.1
0 vsftpd.log
64K vsftpd.log.1.gz
64K wdalerts.log
0 wdnas.log

had a power cut overnight

ramlog-tmpfs has now changed

dMyBookLive:~# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/md1 1.9G 684M 1.2G 38% /
tmpfs 50M 0 50M 0% /lib/init/rw
udev 10M 6.7M 3.4M 67% /dev
tmpfs 50M 0 50M 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 50M 3.7M 47M 8% /tmp
ramlog-tmpfs 20M 4.4M 16M 22% /var/log
/dev/sda4 2.8T 1.9T 920G 67% /DataVolume

Failing after latest (July 2004 the 9th, v04.00.00-607) update:

MyCloud:~# service transmission-daemon start[....] Starting bittorrent daemon: transmission-daemon/etc/init.d/transmission-daemon: line 25: 20796 Killed                  start-stop-daemon --start --chuid $USER $START_STOP_OPTIONS --exec $DAEMON -- $OPTIONS failed!

MiniDLNA fails with a similar error. Ideas?

Having exactly the same problem…  Glad to know I didn’t bork this alone!

Still hunting for answers, myself…  Hope someone here helps us, but if I find anything, I’ll post here.

JoaquinAR wrote:

Failing after latest (July 2004 the 9th, v04.00.00-607) update:

MiniDLNA fails with a similar error. Ideas?

Did you reinstall transmission after the update?

joskevermeulen wrote:

Did you reinstall transmission after the update?

Hi.

Of course. :slight_smile: (I know, it was a question it had to be done). You can’t end up with that specific error if you don’t reinstall it, you’d end up with other error).

Did it work for you?

Seeing the problem somewhere in the startup script, and how the My Cloud handles it…

or not.  seems like the compiled version does not operate under my cloud 4.0…  (sigh)  THIS is a problem…

Reflashing 4.0 to try and fix from scratch.

Another option - manual flash the old 3,04.01-230 firmware…  Found a copy for download  here. Dont forget to disable the auto-update, or you’ll just break it again.

Ouglee wrote:

Reflashing 4.0 to try and fix from scratch.

Another option - manual flash the old 3,04.01-230 firmware…  Found a copy for download  here. Dont forget to disable the auto-update, or you’ll just break it again.

Can you access the Dashboard? I can’t… :frowning:

I’ve had no problems accessing the WD My Cloud dash…  I havent tried to retro-fit to v3, however; still working with v4.

Since the package is really a ‘.deb’ file, you may be able to ssh install it (???) Murky waters, there… try doing a reboot for your dash, first.