[GUIDE] Transmission 2.82

when i restart my wd my cloud … torrents that im downloading disappear, the option trash original torrents is in “false” i can see the incomplete torrents in the folder that i assign but transmission doesnt keep downloading, is there any fix to this?

Thanks for posting this guide! I’m just waiting for my unit to arrive and looking forward to testing this out!

Couple quick questions: 

• Do the instructions in this guide still work? 

• My plan is to set up a Raspberry Pi with Raspbmc connected to my TV and use the My Cloud to download torrents which will then be played on my TV by the Pi. If I wanted to set up some kind of download automation (i.e. couch potato, flexget etc.) would it make the most sense to install this on the Pi and have it drop the .torrent files in a folder on the My Cloud that is being watched by Transmission, or should I run all of that directly off the My Cloud? Any guidance on this would be amazing!

Thanks!

Yes they still work, I’ve just installed this…

Anybody know how to get a password prompt? I saw the settings.json file has an entry for it (rpc-password) which contains a hash string, but entering a password here doesn’t seem to have any effect when opening transmission in the browser

EDIT: I didn’t see the authentication required parameter… It needs to be set to true to get a password on:

"rpc-authentication-required": true

The default username is “transmission”. The password needs to be put next to rpc-password between the " " symbols. It will be hashed automaticallly

Hi, nfodiz,

Thanks for your guide, I installed the Transmission successfully.

But why my Transmission version is 2.52? And how to upgrade it to 2.82?

Thanks.

RemoveWhenFinishSeeding, is it possible?

After doing this installation it seems that transmission filled up the OS Volume even though the directory for downloads was set to be on a public share? Any ideas how to ensure that files don’t end up on the OS volume? Also is there a way to tell the NAS to download something from a mobile phone? Thanks!

Grahamtaustin:what path have you filled in for your download location? Could it be that you have a “~” before your path?

it is set to “DataVolume/shares/Public/Transmission”

Awesome guide, much appreciated! Was able to successfully install with no issues at all. Looking at options for automating torrent downloads now.

Is there any reason something like this wouldn’t work on the My Cloud?

http://www.virtualfrontiers.co.uk/AutoDownload.html The instructions are written for doing an install on a Raspberry Pi, but could the same steps be applied to setting up flexget on the My Cloud? Any help would be awesome!

It doesn’t work for me, I put apt-get update and it stop

“reading package list . . . . . . 14%”

stop, and do again, and the same.

Following this guide, the owner of the files/folders will be root, and not a wdmycloud username, that can make a few funny things like unreadable folders because of the status of ownership.

Is there a way to make transmission run as my username?

1 Like

Yes I’m root, I use putty, username root password welc0me

I gottta same problem. transmission can run and downloaded 2 files successfuly, other time transmission will stop aotumaticly and show “Error: Unable to save resume file: No space left on device”. how can i do? THX!

here is df -h, it seems like rootfs is full:

WDMyCloud:~# df -h

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on

rootfs          1.9G  1.9G     0 100% /

/dev/root       1.9G  1.9G     0 100% /

tmpfs            23M  336K   23M   2% /run

tmpfs            40M  4.0K   40M   1% /run/lock

tmpfs            10M     0   10M   0% /dev

tmpfs           5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/shm

tmpfs           100M  132K  100M   1% /tmp

/dev/root       1.9G  1.9G     0 100% /var/log.hdd

ramlog-tmpfs     20M  3.9M   17M  20% /var/log

/dev/sda4       3.6T  679G  2.9T  19% /DataVolume

/dev/sda4       3.6T  679G  2.9T  19% /CacheVolume

/dev/sda4       3.6T  679G  2.9T  19% /shares

/dev/sda4       3.6T  679G  2.9T  19% /nfs/TimeMachineBackup

/dev/sda4       3.6T  679G  2.9T  19% /nfs/SmartWare

/dev/sda4       3.6T  679G  2.9T  19% /nfs/Public

/dev/sda4       3.6T  679G  2.9T  19% /nfs/Movie

Hi,

I have installed transmission succesfully on My Cloud, great tool it is…

Now I was looking for a guide to install FlexGet, this app however I do not understand the guides which are provided to me. For example: where can i find: First we will create a watch-directory for Transmission. If you use Ubuntu, there is a settings.json in your $HOME/.config/transmission at the end of the file there are two settings “watch-dir” and “watch-dir-enabled”

Is this in Putty? Which commands do I use? Maybe someone can create a guide like the installation of Transmission on My Cloud? 

Thanks in advance

Another person besides me has posted a complete install guide for transmission. Search…

It works fine…there were instructions on how to make the download folder readbale/writeable by a specfic user or by anyone…

anyone know how to fix this:

“Magnetized transfer - retrieving metadat”

thats all I get with magnet files and can’t seem to sort it. Normal torrent links work fine though

Hello, my rootfs seems to be full. How can I free up space in it?

WDMyCloud:~# df - h
df: -': No such file or directory df: h’: No such file or directory
df: no file systems processed
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs 1.9G 1.9G 0 100% /
/dev/root 1.9G 1.9G 0 100% /
tmpfs 23M 7.2M 16M 32% /run
tmpfs 40M 4.0K 40M 1% /run/lock
tmpfs 10M 0 10M 0% /dev
tmpfs 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/shm
tmpfs 100M 144K 100M 1% /tmp
/dev/root 1.9G 1.9G 0 100% /var/log.hdd
ramlog-tmpfs 20M 3.7M 17M 19% /var/log
/dev/sda4 2.7T 62G 2.6T 3% /DataVolume
/dev/sda4 2.7T 62G 2.6T 3% /CacheVolume
/dev/sda4 2.7T 62G 2.6T 3% /shares
/dev/sda4 2.7T 62G 2.6T 3% /nfs/TimeMachineBackup
/dev/sda4 2.7T 62G 2.6T 3% /nfs/SmartWare
/dev/sda4 2.7T 62G 2.6T 3% /nfs/Public

thanks alot its a great to for seeding 24 Hours, but when i update to new firmware the application is deleted automaticly, there is away to install it out of the partition that deleted in the firmware upgrade.

Hi Nfodiz

I had install transmission using your guide but i had to re install it after a firmware update which was v03.04.01-219

To set the torrent download folder to the DataVolume and not the OS Volume i had to use:

rmdir /var/lib/transmission-daemon/downloads

ln -s /DataVolume/shares/Public/Torrent /var/lib/transmission-daemon/downloads

As the one shown in your guide kept showing directory does not exist in Putty. Also do you know if there is a bug in Transmission 2.82 as when i remove the torrent it seem that it is still seeding the file as i cannot do anything while Transmission is running. I have to shut it down them i can use my broadband as while torrents are downloading or seeding it kills my connection due to low bandwith

Many Thanks

I got this error today as well.  The setup has been working fine for a month.  I tried downloading something and realized I may have downloaded to a different folder since I could not find the file in my share files.  My df -h below.  Did I download the file to root?  If so, how do I delete the avi file?  I am a noob to Linux.  

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs 1.9G 1.9G 0 100% /
/dev/root 1.9G 1.9G 0 100% /
tmpfs 23M 456K 23M 2% /run
tmpfs 40M 4.0K 40M 1% /run/lock
tmpfs 10M 0 10M 0% /dev
tmpfs 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/shm
tmpfs 100M 156K 100M 1% /tmp
/dev/root 1.9G 1.9G 0 100% /var/log.hdd
ramlog-tmpfs 20M 3.8M 17M 19% /var/log
/dev/sda4 1.8T 442G 1.4T 25% /DataVolume