[GUIDE] Installing qBittorrent on WD My Cloud for n00bs

This is a tutorial for installing qBittorrent on WD My Cloud. In order for this to work, you need to be on the old v03.04.01-230 firmware.

You can downgrade using Yo_Bubba’s tutorial from here

In my opinion, QBT is better than transmission because you have more download speed. For example, i am downloading with a speed between 7 to 10 MB/s, while in transmission i could not get more than 5 MB/s. 

Please note: WD does not support installing 3rd party apps on the WD My Cloud. If you do, you do so at your own risk.

Let’s get to work. 

1. Connect via SSH to your My Cloud and run the following command:

apt-get install qbittorrent-nox

2. Start QBT with this command:

qbittorrent-nox

3.After the install, get to the interface via your favorite browser, and type the following into the adress bar:

localhost:8080

You can use the following credentials: 

User: admin
Password: adminadmin

It is recommended to change this credentials as soon as possible.

That’s it. 

I will get back to you after i set it to start automatically and manage to tune it a bit. 

Enjoy

!!!WARNING!!!

Users installing 3rd party apps should read our “important note” located here:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/New-Release-WD-My-Cloud-Firmware-Release-4-00-00-607-7-9-14/td-p/761150

johnsheppardwd wrote:

This is a tutorial for installing qBittorrent on WD My Cloud. In order for this to work, you need to be on the old v03.04.01-230 firmware.

You can downgrade using Yo_Bubba’s tutorial from here

In my opinion, QBT is better than transmission because you have more download speed. For example, i am downloading with a speed between 7 to 10 MB/s, while in transmission i could not get more than 5 MB/s. 

Please note: WD does not support installing 3rd party apps on the WD My Cloud. If you do, you do so at your own risk.

Let’s get to work. 

1. Connect via SSH to your My Cloud and run the following command:

apt-get install qbittorrent-nox

2. Start QBT with this command:

qbittorrent-nox

3.After the install, get to the interface via your favorite browser, and type the following into the adress bar:

localhost:8080

You can use the following credentials: 

User: admin
Password: adminadmin

It is recommended to change this credentials as soon as possible.

That’s it. 

I will get back to you after i set it to start automatically and manage to tune it a bit. 

Enjoy

Hi,

Read a couple of posting that Qbittorrent_nox  is faster than Transmission.  I just got it installed, but package does not comes with any Debian rc start up.  The link below contain a tar gz file that will install my scripts containing all the necessary rc startup.

Link to download QBittorrent_nox init.d Daemon startup

Installation steps

1. Download qbittorrent-rc-install.tgz by clicking the above link and save your file into your WDMyCloud  Public folder

2. SSH into your WDMyCloud and enter the following BASH command at Linux shell

WDMyCloud:/# cd /                               *** change to root directory **

WDMyCloud:/# tar zxfv /nfs/Public/qbittorrent-rc-install.tgz    *** tar gunzip and install Debian rc for Qbittorrent-nox ***

WDMyCloud:/# service qbittorrent-nox-daemon restart        *** force restart of qbittorrent-nox daemon ***

WDMyCloud:/# service qbittorrent-nox-daemon status        *** Should display [ok] qbittorrent-nox is running. **
3. If #2 is shows qbittorrent-nox daemon is running,  You’re all set and http://wdmycloud:8080 and login with admin and password adminadmin to being your fast torrent download :wink:

Enjoy!

Hi,

Qbittorrent-nox is fast,  I’m downloading at 6.5MB.   This is sweet :wink:  

Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers!

Hi,

Just a word of caution,  the default Qbittorrent-nox store torrent download  /root/Download   located on the root file system and this is a NO NO.  Click Options, Download and change the location to /DataVolume/shares/Public/Shared Videos/HD Movies/new for example.

The UI feels more @home as it’s almost like uTorrent client except is web based on the WD.  ByeBye Transmission and hello QBittorrent :wink:

Cheers!

I have seen that the CPU is loaded at 100% with QBT. 

Maybe is there some tweaks do to so it will work better and not overheat the CPU ?

johnsheppardwd wrote:

I have seen that the CPU is loaded at 100% with QBT. 

Maybe is there some tweaks do to so it will work better and not overheat the CPU ?

Hi,

Unlike Transmission which is written in Java,  Qbittorrent is written is C++ and compiled into a single binary file.  It don’t have a .conf  files like transmission does.  The only interaction is via argv at command line.  

I’ve not had a chance to max out the torrent session, I was running at max about 3 download and CPU load seems normal at about 12-20% CPU utilization.   Like you have mentioned,  I like download speed as compared to Transmission.  Get my torrent quicker.

Cheers!

Indeed qBittorrent works better than Transmission. A couple of things to add:

Install Jakster’s script to run qBittorrent on startup:

wget -O /etc/init.d/qbittorrent-nox-daemon http://launchpadlibrarian.net/38905385/qbittorrent

Set Jackster’s script to automatically run qBittorrent on startup:

chmod 755 /etc/init.d/qbittorrent-nox-daemon
update-rc.d qbittorrent-nox-daemon defaults

Access and configure qBittorrent from within web UI. You need to change two things there:

• “Save files to location” (inside Downloads tab), set it up to /DataVolume/shares/Public and then whatever folder you want to download your files to. For example /DataVolume/shares/Public/Downloads
  • Disable “Pre-allocate disk space for all files” since it’ll probably cause qBittorrent to return error for large torrents.

will give this a try. How would I go about uninstalling transmission so I don;t have too much **bleep** on my device?

Wormvortex wrote:

will give this a try. How would I go about uninstalling transmission so I don;t have too much **bleep** on my device?

Hi,

The command is

apt-get --purge remove transmission-cli transmission-common transmission-daemon
1 Like

how do you cahnge the default port? 8080is my sabznb>

you just posted an image of a triangle?

I ge this when trying to run it:

******** Information ********

To control qBittorrent, access the Web UI at http://localhost:8080

The Web UI administrator user name is: admin

The Web UI administrator password is still the default one: adminadmin

This is a security risk, please consider changing your password from program preferences.

19/07/2014 10:02:35 - Web User Interface Error - Unable to bind Web UI to port 8080

19/07/2014 10:02:35 - UPnP/NAT-PMP: Port mapping successful, message: successfully mapped port using UPnP. external port: 6881

19/07/2014 10:02:35 - UPnP/NAT-PMP: Port mapping successful, message: successfully mapped port using UPnP. external port: 8080

19/07/2014 10:02:35 - UPnP/NAT-PMP: Port mapping successful, message: successfully mapped port using UPnP. external port: 6881

though 6881 does not work.

in case anyone else needs to know I’ve found the command. X=port you want to use

qbittorrent-nox --webui-port=x

Wormvortex wrote:

in case anyone else needs to know I’ve found the command. X=port you want to use

Hi, 

Not sure why at times the WD forum display uploaded image as a triangle ??   The image show a screen catpure of

the QBittorrent web UI screen.

Tools —>  Options ----> Web UI  and you can change the port to whatever.

Alternatively, you could issue the --webui-port from command line.  However, if you use the rc.* startup shell scripts to load, then you will have to modify the rc code.  Try the UI change and let us know if it works, as 8080 works fine for me.

Cheers!

Yo_Bubba wrote:

Wormvortex wrote:

Hi, 

Not sure why at times the WD forum display uploaded image as a triangle ??   The image show a screen catpure of

the QBittorrent web UI screen.

Tools —>  Options ----> Web UI  and you can change the port to whatever.

Alternatively, you could issue the --webui-port from command line.  However, if you use the rc.* startup shell scripts to load, then you will have to modify the rc code.  Try the UI change and let us know if it works, as 8080 works fine for me.

Cheers!

All images must be approved by moderators, so you might see a slight delay before they are approved. 

right thats all working. The only issue I now have is if I close my terminal session that I start qbittorant with it stops running on my nas??? How do I stop this?

Wormvortex wrote:

right thats all working. The only issue I now have is if I close my terminal session that I start qbittorant with it stops running on my nas??? How do I stop this?

I have never used bittorrent so don’t know how it works, but saw your last question and it sounds like you need to use the ‘&’ at the end of your command to allow your command to work in the background. A quick google search on how to run jobs (commands) in unix/linux in the background will yield more examples.

Nope. Didn’t work :frowning:

Wormvortex wrote:

Nope. Didn’t work :frowning:

Can you please post the commnd here that you tried - the exact command?