[GUIDE] Installing OwnCloud Server on My Book Live

It’s showing me a 404 message when I try to acces setup-owncloud via browser… anyone knows how to fix this?

Cheers

Not Found

The requested URL /setup-owncloud.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I just did this and it works great! However, I am on the fence between using this on my MBL or synching with Synology Cloud Station. If I go with the latter…

What would be the steps to completely remove the installation or at least disable it completely so its not using any resources anymore on the MBL?

Thank you!

addchild314 wrote:

wdlive76 wrote:

I love this install guide for owncloud. But it has created a small problem for me.  I am trying to run both owncloud and a https webserver at the same time. There seems to be some sort of problem that both cannot run at the same time.

i have:

https://mybooklive/owncloud  for owncloud

https://mybooklive/   for teh webserver

with the webserver installed, i get a 404 error from the browser when i try to access owncloud. 

Is it something with using the same port?  Any ideas are appreciated.

It really depends on how you have the webserver set up. Owncloud and the WD NAS UI both run on the same webserver, already bound to the http(/https?) ports. If you wanted to run another, you would have to assign it different ports.

How do I assign a different port for the other webserver?  I have set up a different port forward rule on my router; forwarding port 449 to the MBL for my other webserver since owncloud is coming in on 443.  But this is not suffiecent. I know that apache is listening on port 443. How do i make apache listen on port 449 also?

EDIT: The solution to this is to make a file in etc/apache2/sites-available/ which has the port info in it.  Take the exisiting webserver file in that folder, copy it, paste it in the same folder with a different name. Then  change the ports listed in it.  Then make a symlink with the new file from /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/

I recently installed owncloud on another MBL using this guide. Owncloud is now version 6 which is a bit different than version 5.  On the owncloud website there is the option to dowload the tar.bz2 file for version 5.  However, the Owncloud install guide on this forum does not give the user the option of which version to install,; it simply installs the latest version.  How can i install version 5 instead of version 6? 

superbikes604 wrote:

What would be the steps to completely remove the installation or at least disable it completely so its not using any resources anymore on the MBL?

By default, ownCloud uses Ajax-style update triggering. In other words, it only uses resources when pages are being loaded or the sync client is connected. Otherwise, it is completely inactive. Alternative setups, using cron or webcron, work differently, but this is not the default behavior of ownCloud. So if you simply stop using it, it will not use any resources (aside from the tiny amount of space the installation takes up).

If you want to remove it, simply delete the owncloud directory that you installed ownCloud to. If you used a custom data directory, you will need to remove that as well. Remember to back up any important files that you have stored on ownCloud.

wdlive76 wrote:> How do I assign a different port for the other webserver?  I have set up a different port forward rule on my router; forwarding port 449 to the MBL for my other webserver since owncloud is coming in on 443.  But this is not suffiecent. I know that apache is listening on port 443. How do i make apache listen on port 449 also?

Simple answer: there is no simple answer. You really need an Apache expert. But you should be able to modify the configuration files to change the port it listens on.

wdlive76 wrote:> I recently installed owncloud on another MBL using this guide. Owncloud is now version 6 which is a bit different than version 5.  On the owncloud website there is the option to dowload the tar.bz2 file for version 5.  However, the Owncloud install guide on this forum does not give the user the option of which version to install,; it simply installs the latest version.  How can i install version 5 instead of version 6?

From the ownCloud install page, look for the text “Looking for an older version? Download ownCloud Server 5.0.14a” underneath the “Install Owncloud Server” text. Click " ownCloud Server 5.0.14a to get the tar.bz2

Alternatively, download with wget

wget http://download.owncloud.org/community/owncloud-5.0.14a.tar.bz2

dggomes wrote:> It’s showing me a 404 message when I try to acces setup-owncloud via browser… anyone knows how to fix this?

Make sure you put the file in the right place.

Noko193 wrote:> fantastic guide

but i can’t update to OwnCloud 6

EDIT:

i just delete the owncloud directory and unpack the ownCloud6.zip in the /var/www after this i change the permissions

from root to www-data 

Sorry for my english.

Thanks for the update!

addchild314 wrote:

wdlive76 wrote:> I recently installed owncloud on another MBL using this guide. Owncloud is now version 6 which is a bit different than version 5.  On the owncloud website there is the option to dowload the tar.bz2 file for version 5.  However, the Owncloud install guide on this forum does not give the user the option of which version to install,; it simply installs the latest version.  How can i install version 5 instead of version 6?

From the ownCloud install page, look for the text “Looking for an older version? Download ownCloud Server 5.0.14a” underneath the “Install Owncloud Server” text. Click " ownCloud Server 5.0.14a to get the tar.bz2

Alternatively, download with wget

wget download.owncloud.com

I see now that the install script in the tutorial actually just located the latest version, downloads it into /var/www/ and then unzips it into /var/www/owncloud> https://download.owncloud.com/download/community/setup-owncloud.php

So if you don’t want to use the install script, then just download the version you want and unzip it into /var/www/owncloud/

Hi,

How are you?

I have couple questions…  :smiley:

Does it work with MyCLoud?

After doing this. Does it keeps the WD and Tonwky UI’s?

Regards,

FearL0rd wrote:

Does it work with MyCLoud?

After doing this. Does it keeps the WD and Tonwky UI’s?

Most likely it works with mycloud. You can try it and report back to us.

Yes, it keeps the WD and Twonky UIs. No problems there at all.

Thank you!!!

Can I still upgrade the WD firmware?

Can I return everything back to original standard wd?

If you upgrade or reinstall WD firmware, all of these hacks and modifications will be wiped out. I speak of this from experience. So if you want to keep your hacks and mods, make sure that auto-updates is deselected in the Dashboard.

I checked the files internally and they are in a different locations, different names… The guide does not fit for MyCloud… :frowning:

First of all, respect! Many thanks, excellent guide!

It works on my MBL 1T with owncloud 6 & squeeze. 

One question: current php version is 5.3.3-7. Owncloud says that php should be upgraded to 5.3.8 at least:

“Your PHP version is outdated. We strongly recommend to update to 5.3.8 or newer because older versions are known to be broken. It is possible that this installation is not working correctly.”

However this is the current php version for debian squeeze. 

running apt-get update && apt-get upgrade gives a gpg error

Shall I leave it with current verion?

Finally, shall I stop upgrading MBL fiirmware?

Cheers

turn off

bobF14 wrote:

Finally, shall I stop upgrading MBL fiirmware?

Turn off auto-update for the firmware on your MBL. Whenever a firmware update happens, ALL of your modifications will be erased.

Hello again

I encounter problems with files syncronized at MBL. I choose a folder with 211MB inside (484 files total) and about half of them are syncronized. This happens to many other cases, all of them through the linux client (owncloud desktop client v.1.5.0 at ubuntu 12.04 kernel 3.5.0-45). Has anyone of you seen this again?

One cause could be that I have been using dropbox at first time, then I read about potential problems using more than one clowd software and I stopped it, so, since problem goes on, there should be something else.

An other possibility could be that php version is not updated to latest (see my previous post).

Thank you

FearL0rd wrote:

I checked the files internally and they are in a different locations, different names… The guide does not fit for MyCloud… :frowning:

Did you find a solution to install it on a MyCloud device? I kinda bricked my box trying. Does the unbrickabylity-script even work for MyCloud, too? - Sry 4 OT! - maybe continuing here http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/OwnCloud/m-p/679761#M7490

So I got to the point of installing owncloud via its web gui but when it finished installing and I press the continue button it asks for a password? The SSH nor the WD password would work any help, or do i need to start again?

I have installed with version 6.0 - all OK.

I have two questions.

I get the following warning about PHP

Your PHP version is outdated. We strongly recommend to update to 5.3.8 or newer because older versions are known to be broken. It is possible that this installation is not working correctly.

is this normal?

Secondly I try to update to 6.0.2 using the web admin update function as per the owncloud guide.

however I get the following error

Unable to move /var/www/owncloud/3rdparty/Archive to /var/www/owncloud/data/updater_backup/tmp/3rdparty/Archive

and the update fails

Any suggestions?

fsman wrote:

Your PHP version is outdated. We strongly recommend to update to 5.3.8 or newer because older versions are known to be broken. It is possible that this installation is not working correctly.

is this normal?

Essentially, yes. The packages the WD software uses are a bit old, and ownCloud has to use the WD software. It could be upgraded, but that could potentially break the MBL functionality. Not worth the risk.

fsman wrote:

Secondly I try to update to 6.0.2 using the web admin update function as per the owncloud guide.

however I get the following error

Unable to move /var/www/owncloud/3rdparty/Archive to /var/www/owncloud/data/updater_backup/tmp/3rdparty/Archive

and the update fails

Any suggestions?

Check the permissions for /var/www/owncloud before trying the update. Apache needs write permissions. You can try

chmod ugo+w /var/www/owncloud

before the update. This may make your installation vulnerable to security issues. Restore the permissions after the upgrade:

chmod ugo-w /var/www/owncloud

Let me know if that helps!

Hello. This is a great guide. I’ve installed owncloud in mybooklive 2TB but when i connect to owncloud MBL turns very very slow. I’ve checked processor usage with top and I see that apache2 is using over 95% of processor.

PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
17734 www-data 4 -16 106m 37m 21m R 97.7 15.2 0:21.65 apache2

Is it a normal behavior or maybe my installation is wrong?

When I gp to the setup in the webbrowser I can only open the first page. Nothing happens when I press the “Next”-button. I have followed the instruction plus installe the keys. I do not get any error message when I run the installation process as described. 

Is the new version of Owncloud not comaptible?