[GUIDE] Installing OwnCloud Server on My Book Live

Keep in mind that the MBL doesn’t have much of a CPU, so any impact is significant.

Also, there isn’t really any workaround for the sleep issue. When the MBL goes to “sleep”, it’s not really “sleep” in the traditional sense. All the processes that were running when it was awake continue running when its asleep; the MBL powers down the HDD and the OS essentially runs from RAM. As long as none of the active processes need to access the disk, they don’t need to be powered up. When an application (such as btsync, nas, or httpd) requests file access, the HDD is spun back up.

Depending on how btsync works, it may or may not allow the MBL to sleep for long periods. As long as it doesn’t need to constantly access the filesystem, there shouldn’t be a problem. But I doubt that’s the case. The btsync client was most likely inactive or inoperative while the MBL was asleep. Perhaps it deactivates if no other clients are active? Not a clue. But ‘secret’ access wouldn’t solve the problem. The disks still have to be spinning to read the data from them, no matter how covertly you try to access them. It’s just not how it works.

it would be nice to know some tricks and tweaks to make btsync a little lighter on CPU and bandwidth.

on btsync forums there are plenty of people complaining about this… I did myself a check, monitoring bandwidth and CPU usage on my btsync which was syncing two EMPTY folders: I could not believe the amount of bandwidth and CPU used just for the two devices (my PC and MBL) asking each other: “are you there?”

I believe it is to blame on the P2P nature of btsync, but I am not an expert on this… I asked the bt guys for an option for LAN only use (I use VPN anyways to access MBL from outside LAN), but I don’t believe it will ever happen…

Anyways, keep us posted (or post on the btsync official forum) if you can share some tweaks!

Mmm, try these setting on the MBL btsync

“lan_encrypt_data” = false,

“rate_limit_local_peers” : true,
“lan_use_tcp” : true,

And set the download upload limits too. All this  should reduce the cpu and bandwidth  usage a big deal on the nas cpu.

Also try this in the MBL btsync settings

“use_relay_server” : false,
“use_tracker” : false,
“use_dht” : false,
“search_lan” : true,

That should force  btsync to only listen to local connections   And of course use the lastest build.

EDIT:

Yes, i just cheked it out and the btsync process is using only %2 of the cpu at 1MB/s download limit on the MBL. Neat. 

thanks for the tips… perhaps we should start a dedicated thread to BTSync on MBL…

oh, if you installed Webmin on your MBL, you should also be able to set the priority of the task btsync and thus its weigh on MBL CPU… unfortunately last time Webmin caused me some troubles, so now I do not have it on MBL, but if MBL is not going to sleep with your tips, I guess I will have to reinstall Webmin…

nissan wrote:

Mmm, try these setting on the MBL btsync

“lan_encrypt_data” = false,

“rate_limit_local_peers” : true,
“lan_use_tcp” : true,

where do I find these settings on the MBL btsync? I can see them on the desktop app, but not on the webUI…

I posted an installation script, check it out if you are insterested

http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Book-Live/BitTorrent-Sync-installation-script/td-p/588057

nissan wrote:

I posted an installation script, check it out if you are insterested

http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Book-Live/BitTorrent-Sync-installation-script/td-p/588057

Great. Now it has it’s own post, stop hijacking mine.

Thanks

Edit: Cranky, long day. But the message is still valid - no hijacking. It’s rude.

sorry 'bout that… it is just that owncloud with btsync would make for a real replacement for dropbox or skydrive!

owncloud desktop sync app is very bad, and btsync could well replace it.

Have you tried barracuda drive? I just discovered it yesterday and  it looks much more  lightweight and faster than owncloud. The installation  was very easy since they provide a dedicated installer for the MBL. It is easy to uninstall too

Alright. I’m very sorry if I didn’t read through everything, because I’m honestly in over my head here. This is uncharted territory without a map! So, if a gentle soul would help a noob out, I would be oh so greatful.

Now…

I ran the “first series of commands” that was put up, and wound up with this:

(blah, blah, blah)

The following NEW packages will be installed:
  fontconfig-config libdb5.1 libfontconfig1 libgd2-xpm libicu48 libjpeg8
  liblzma5 libonig2 libqdbm14 libssl1.0.0 libtinfo5 libxpm4 php-pear
  php-xml-parser php5-gd php5-intl ttf-dejavu-core
The following packages will be upgraded:
  libapache2-mod-php5 libpcre3 libsqlite3-0 libxml2 php-apc php5 php5-cli
  php5-common php5-curl php5-sqlite psmisc zlib1g
12 upgraded, 17 newly installed, 0 to remove and 298 not upgraded.
Need to get 17.3MB of archives.
After this operation, 40.3MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y
Abort.
SuperMegaDrive:~#

My reaction would be:

. . .   O _____O

What am I missing? I just want ownCloud on MyBook Live™.

Thank you kind folk.

jgh001a wrote:

My reaction would be:

. . .   O _____O

That pretty much sums up my reaction.

Maybe you are out of space on the partition? What is the output if you run

df -h

?

nissan wrote:

Have you tried barracuda drive? I just discovered it yesterday and  it looks much more  lightweight and faster than owncloud. The installation  was very easy since they provide a dedicated installer for the MBL. It is easy to uninstall too

I’m going to try it now. And they have an MBL-specific version.

EDIT: Looking over the installer, I’m not entirely sure it’s the best solution. If you have a stock MBL, it will not cause any issues. If you have made any customizations, the installer will almost certainly break things.

Thank you, the guide is fantastic. I’ve followed the guide and installed owncloud successfully. I did get the php-gd error but I reinstalled it (using addchild314’s command) and everything works perfectly.

I am very new to this whole My Book Live arena.  I am having trouble with the laptop picking it up in the wifi?? 

Sounds like you def. know what s going on and may be able to help me if interested???

my email is fgismondi @  comcast . net  

no spaces would be easier to direct email ? i may not be able to find my way back on here again to respond…lol.,…

Not that bad but struggling a bit.

fgiz54 

fantastic guide

but i can’t update to OwnCloud 6

EDIT:

i just delete the owncloud directory and unpack the ownCloud6.zip in the /var/www after this i change the permissions

from root to www-data 

Sorry for my english.

It’s showing me a 404 message when I try to acces setup-owncloud via browser… anyone knows how to fix this?

Cheers

Not Found

The requested URL /setup-owncloud.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I just did this and it works great! However, I am on the fence between using this on my MBL or synching with Synology Cloud Station. If I go with the latter…

What would be the steps to completely remove the installation or at least disable it completely so its not using any resources anymore on the MBL?

Thank you!

addchild314 wrote:

wdlive76 wrote:

I love this install guide for owncloud. But it has created a small problem for me.  I am trying to run both owncloud and a https webserver at the same time. There seems to be some sort of problem that both cannot run at the same time.

i have:

https://mybooklive/owncloud  for owncloud

https://mybooklive/   for teh webserver

with the webserver installed, i get a 404 error from the browser when i try to access owncloud. 

Is it something with using the same port?  Any ideas are appreciated.

It really depends on how you have the webserver set up. Owncloud and the WD NAS UI both run on the same webserver, already bound to the http(/https?) ports. If you wanted to run another, you would have to assign it different ports.

How do I assign a different port for the other webserver?  I have set up a different port forward rule on my router; forwarding port 449 to the MBL for my other webserver since owncloud is coming in on 443.  But this is not suffiecent. I know that apache is listening on port 443. How do i make apache listen on port 449 also?

EDIT: The solution to this is to make a file in etc/apache2/sites-available/ which has the port info in it.  Take the exisiting webserver file in that folder, copy it, paste it in the same folder with a different name. Then  change the ports listed in it.  Then make a symlink with the new file from /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/

I recently installed owncloud on another MBL using this guide. Owncloud is now version 6 which is a bit different than version 5.  On the owncloud website there is the option to dowload the tar.bz2 file for version 5.  However, the Owncloud install guide on this forum does not give the user the option of which version to install,; it simply installs the latest version.  How can i install version 5 instead of version 6? 

superbikes604 wrote:

What would be the steps to completely remove the installation or at least disable it completely so its not using any resources anymore on the MBL?

By default, ownCloud uses Ajax-style update triggering. In other words, it only uses resources when pages are being loaded or the sync client is connected. Otherwise, it is completely inactive. Alternative setups, using cron or webcron, work differently, but this is not the default behavior of ownCloud. So if you simply stop using it, it will not use any resources (aside from the tiny amount of space the installation takes up).

If you want to remove it, simply delete the owncloud directory that you installed ownCloud to. If you used a custom data directory, you will need to remove that as well. Remember to back up any important files that you have stored on ownCloud.

wdlive76 wrote:> How do I assign a different port for the other webserver?  I have set up a different port forward rule on my router; forwarding port 449 to the MBL for my other webserver since owncloud is coming in on 443.  But this is not suffiecent. I know that apache is listening on port 443. How do i make apache listen on port 449 also?

Simple answer: there is no simple answer. You really need an Apache expert. But you should be able to modify the configuration files to change the port it listens on.

wdlive76 wrote:> I recently installed owncloud on another MBL using this guide. Owncloud is now version 6 which is a bit different than version 5.  On the owncloud website there is the option to dowload the tar.bz2 file for version 5.  However, the Owncloud install guide on this forum does not give the user the option of which version to install,; it simply installs the latest version.  How can i install version 5 instead of version 6?

From the ownCloud install page, look for the text “Looking for an older version? Download ownCloud Server 5.0.14a” underneath the “Install Owncloud Server” text. Click " ownCloud Server 5.0.14a to get the tar.bz2

Alternatively, download with wget

wget http://download.owncloud.org/community/owncloud-5.0.14a.tar.bz2

dggomes wrote:> It’s showing me a 404 message when I try to acces setup-owncloud via browser… anyone knows how to fix this?

Make sure you put the file in the right place.

Noko193 wrote:> fantastic guide

but i can’t update to OwnCloud 6

EDIT:

i just delete the owncloud directory and unpack the ownCloud6.zip in the /var/www after this i change the permissions

from root to www-data 

Sorry for my english.

Thanks for the update!