[GUIDE] How to unbrick a totally dead MBL

nfodiz, Chuck another happy customer to your list. My MBL WebGUI went South when I started to use Twonky !! Argh!! I have (2) MBL 2GB, but only one died !!! I followed your instructions to the letter and it actually came right back up, just like a new one. Before I re-instated the Shares, I renamed them first, then created them, and moved them back. Next, I updated the firmware, restored my rsynch scripts, rebuild crontab and voilà, just like nothing happened, not a single bit lost! Thanks a lot… Regards, Michel Coutu PS: I also updated the reset button script to enable ssh from one of your other posts.

Hi all, I’m hoping someone can help… after giving up on trying to get into the dashboard on my 2TB MBL, I decided to follow this guide and just rebuild from scratch (no need to recover any data, I’d already done that).

I followed the instructions in booting from the restore CD and had my rootfs & debrick files on a USB drive.  I typed in the instructed commands and the process started fine.

After 2 “Y” prompts, the Terminal screen showed that it (parted) had made the necessary partitions and gave me the following Warning message:

Warning: blocksize 65536 not usable on most systems

mke2fs 1.42.7 (21-Jan-2013)

/dev/sda4 is not a block special device

Proceed anyway? (y,n)

I clicked “y” as it appears to be instructed on the first page, but then I got this error:

mkfs.ext4: Device size reported as zero.  Invalid partition specified, partition table wasn’t reread after running fdisk, due to a modified partition being busy and in use.  You may need to reboot to re-read your partition table

I was given the option to continue, but the page filled with errors and as this prompt wasn’t shown on the first page, I guessed this wasn’t right!!

Incase something had just gone a bit wrong, I went into gparted and removed all partitions, re-booted and tried again, but got the same errors.

I’ve never used Linux before, so this is now waaaaay over my head!!  Can anyone help pls??  MANY THANKS in advance!

Do the debrick once again without deleting the partitions the debrick script creates… So…

1. Debrick with all the errors

2. Reboot and load the system rescue cd and debrick again

3. If you still get errors

3a) Maybe a bad hard drive

3b) Maybe using a usb 2 sata cable which can cause issues

Hope this helps

1 Like

nfodiz wrote:

Do the debrick once again without deleting the partitions the debrick script creates… So…

1. Debrick with all the errors
  1. Reboot and load the system rescue cd and debrick again
  1. If you still get errors

3a) Maybe a bad hard drive

3b) Maybe using a usb 2 sata cable which can cause issues

Hope this helps

Thanks NFODIZ, I wasn’t sure if I should run the process with partitions still in place, hence deleting them earlier.  When I get home later tonight I’ll give it a shot again… if that fails, I might try the V2 guide incase that’s any better.

The drive is on a SATA cable direct to the motherboard, so it’s not in a USB caddy… hopefully it’s just a software glitch somewhere along the line!

NFODIZ - you’re a star!  Leaving the partitions in place and re-running the script has done the job!  The drive is back up & running, the latest F/W has just installed and to be sure I don’t lose access again, I’ve installed the ResetEnableSSH script too :slight_smile:

Many thanks for your help!

Glad you were able to work it out :slight_smile:

I need to amend the guide with this change when I can get to a desktop

Hi,

can you please let me know where can I find the ResetEnableSSH script?

I am not able to find it in this forum.

Thanks

This one?

http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Book-Live/GUIDE-Reset-Button-script-that-enables-SSH/m-p/490580#M15534

I’ve sucessfully debricked my 3TB MBL, however the data partition will not mount now.

parted
GNU Parted 2.2
Using /dev/sda
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type ‘help’ to view a list of commands.
(parted) p
Model: ATA WDC WD30EZRS-11J (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 3001GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
3 15.7MB 528MB 513MB primary
1 528MB 2576MB 2048MB ext3 primary raid
2 2576MB 4624MB 2048MB ext3 primary raid
4 4624MB 3001GB 2996GB primary

fsck /dev/sda4
fsck from util-linux-ng 2.17.2
e2fsck 1.41.12 (17-May-2010)
fsck.ext2: Superblock invalid, trying backup blocks…
fsck.ext2: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sda4

The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
e2fsck -b 8193

I haven’t been able to back up my data, though if I end up needing to wipe it it doesn’t matter too much.

Any ideas where to go from here in remounting this partition?

Cheers!

It looks like the filesystem for your data partition got lost in the mix. The MBL is looking for an EXT4 filesystem 65536 blocksize. You could try testdisk or one of the programs at the beginning of the guide to see if you can recover your data somehow but I am a long way from a data recovery expert.

Run the script with the /destroy flag once you rescue your data and it will create the data partition properly for you but it will delete any data there in the process.

Help me I’ve spent a week of my life at this
When I run the script it sticks on checking for bad blocks its been their for 3 days is there a way to skip this

If it sticks on checking for bad blocks, your hard drive is most likely going bad and on it’s last legs. Nothing much you can do but buy another hard drive.

1 Like

Hi, I stupidly bricked my brand new wd book live 3tb by trying to install transmission. I have tried running the debrick scripts however it fails to copy the boot.scr file from /mnt/md0…

So when I go into /mnt/md0 all of the dirs are listed however when I try to cd into them to manually copy the file I get and input output error. 

What could be the issue her? I’ve tried it about 6 times with the same result, using an ubuntu live cd and installed mdadm.

Please can someone help?

thanks

Hi All,

I replied in this thread as it was the one I was reading last and was interested in using the Reset to Downgrade/Upgrade my firmware…my live was never actually ‘bricked or dead’ - just not quite communicating with my network.

I lost internet access but still had access to my dashboard.  I used the ResetButtonAction.sh in hopes that it would solve my problem.  After a few minutes I saw the light was green on my live.  _But _now I can no longer access my dashboard as the IP, which I had previous had to set as static in order to map the book to my network, has changed to 169.254.8.93.  Of course, not even close to my network and I don’t see it appear in my router.  Windows sees it fine and I can see the Public folder as that is the only place with any files anyway.  When I used WD Discovery and attempted to Configure I get a ‘403 Forbidden Access on the server error’.

What steps should I take now?  I am assuming I can still use WinSCP and Putty.  OK - I just tried and I CAN still access that way, so I have hope.

Please tell me NFODIZ what you think I should do next.  I tried the reset script twice:  first using 021109-053 and last night using 023205-046.

I even spent the past 40 hours reading about the file structure of linux (informative) and what various commands mean so I could try to help myself understand some of what I was seeing inside the drive itself.  Way back when I used to use DOS and was even a LAN Tech for a while, but I am really stumped.

I enjoy learning but I am really ready to take a break and just have this working again like it should.

Any and all guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

So, after almost 50 hours of non-stop working on this I finally crashed just after 9AM this morning.  Got up around 5pm and started at this beast again.

After surprusingly no response from this forum I reverted to the ‘Google is your friend’ credo.  Of course, most queries led me right back here to this forum.  Using the information from the very detailed guides from NFODIZ, along with the many responses to people that actually did get help here… I opened up WinSCP and Putty at the same time.  Then I started to read what what in each of the scripts ending in ‘.sh’ and googled about how to execute commands from within linux.

Since I was ready to ‘fix’ my drive with a hammer I figured, ‘what have I got to lose?’ (except maybe having spent $100 bucks on a drive.) 

While I was in Putty I started to issue commands that were found in the ‘SetNetworkStatic.sh’ script.  Lo and behold, the MyBookLive appeared in my router’s interface once again.  Then WD Discovery once again let me back into the Dashboard.

Still no internet access (I was wondering why the date showed April 2012).  I changed the default to the Canadian pool.ntp.org site for the eventuality that I will at some point have internet access again.  I’m hoping to get this to sync with my network.

I rant a short test and it reported that everything was fine other than I was also warned to remove some files to make space on the drive as it’s almost full. 

At this point the software shows: MyBookLive 02.11.09-053 : Core F/W

I’m in the process of deleting items I backedup from my network folders for some music applications.  I haven’t used any of the actual WD software, however Twonky is enabled, although I do not use it.  I prefer to use XBMC for everything.  Since I use that for watching just about everything I find I no longer need to use any kind of torrents or nzb files, I simply stream just about anything I feel like watching, including live streams.  (that programme is great!)

So, if anyone is willing to give me any suggestions as to how I may get actual internet established back to this nas, it would be great!  I cannot believe how SLOW this thing is in transferring data over ethernet - amazing in that respect.  I always thought it would be fast than USB2, but not in this case.

I’m not really afraid to try just about anything with this anymore as I seem to have survived all the frustration this drive has caused me to endure. 

In the end, it didn’t win…and I didn’t have to resort to pulling out a hammer.  :stuck_out_tongue:

Ramses514, I must say that I am stumped as well. You should have a clean OS at this point so I would start looking at your router etc to try to track the issue down.

Thanks for all this help NFODIZ

Rarely anyone helps anymore… Specially here…

After a power outage, my MBL bricked…

Been trying to fix it with your guide and the first time it didn’t appear to have any errors, but when boot it up, it would take a while on the yellow light and then get stuck on the green light… Does nothing… Not detected on the network.

I did this through a USB to Sata converter… I ordered an e-Sata to try it out to see if it works… Are there any insights on the stuck green light?

I am able to see it using diskinternals and I can back up. but there is so much data that I don’t know where to move it to so I haven’t tried the destroy or your v2 of the guide.

If you have any quick tips, let me know

Thanks

It’s quite possible the drives filesystem was messed up during the power outage. I have seen this happen to many folks and honestly the safest way to go about fixing it would be to back up all of the data to another hard drive and then format the MyBookLive hard drive to wipe it clean and then run the script with the destroy flag as that will create the proper partitions with the proper filesystems again. I know it’s not an ideal solution but I try to steer people away from trying to fix the filesystems manually because I had a guy loose all of his data going that route once. You may get lucky and the E-SATA to SATA solution will work as well because I have seen the USB to SATA cables cause issues as well.

Good luck and let me know how you make out

Hey,

thanks for the script. It seemed to work very well, no problems during the process. (script said debrick complete)

When plugging the NAS back to current and ethernet, the LED shortly blinks blue but then goes to a steady red.

I tried the MBL setup tool to find the device in the network without success.

Any ideas anyone? Thanks!

Edit: I noticed that I don’t hear anything when plugging in the current. I imagine the drive should start up and turn? Am I lacking power? I am using the orginal power adapter.

@ nfodiz

I have a bricked MBL, it doesn’t start anymore after the latest frimware upgrade started from the dashboard.

I don’t see the light coming up but I can feel the drive is spinning.

I recovered all my data meanwhile, now the question is if I also can use the script with the latest firmware (or the one b4)? 

thanks,