[GUIDE] How to unbrick a totally dead MBL

Thank you so much!!!

I’ve spent days trying to manual update after the last disasterous update.

I’m back and running and I haven’t lost any data.

Steve :smileyvery-happy:

No problem Steve and thanks for reporting back that you were successful :slight_smile:

I try to debrick my MBL but I get this screen, I dont know if I do it right

**********************DISK**********************
script will use the following disk:
Model: ATA WDC WD20EARX-00P (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 2000GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags:
Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
3 15.7MB 528MB 513MB primary
1 528MB 2576MB 2048MB ext3 primary raid
2 2576MB 4624MB 2048MB ext3 primary raid
4 4624MB 2000GB 1996GB ext4 primary
is this REALLY the disk you want? [y] y
**********************IMAGE**********************

**********************IMPLEMENTATION**********************
everything is now prepared!
device: /dev/sda
image_img: rootfs.img
destroy: false
this is the point of no return, continue? [y] y

mdadm: /dev/sda1 appears to contain an ext2fs file system
size=1999808K mtime=Wed Sep 26 15:09:29 2012
mdadm: size set to 1999808K
mdadm: creation continuing despite oddities due to --run
mdadm: array /dev/md0 started.
mke2fs 1.42.5 (29-Jul-2012)
Filesystem label=
OS type: Linux
Block size=4096 (log=2)
Fragment size=4096 (log=2)
Stride=0 blocks, Stripe width=0 blocks
125184 inodes, 499952 blocks
24997 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super user
First data block=0
Maximum filesystem blocks=515899392
16 block groups
32768 blocks per group, 32768 fragments per group
7824 inodes per group
Superblock backups stored on blocks: 
32768, 98304, 163840, 229376, 294912
Checking for bad blocks (read-only test): 0.00% done, 0:00 elapsed. (0/0/0 errdone 
Allocating group tables: done 
Writing inode tables: done 
Creating journal (8192 blocks): done
Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done
mdadm: added /dev/sda2
synchronize raid... done
copying image to disk... 
dd: writing to `/dev/md0': Input/output error
1041+0 records in
1040+0 records out
532480 bytes (532 kB) copied, 16.0753 s, 33.1 kB/s
cp: cannot stat `/mnt/md0/usr/local/share/bootmd0.scr': No such file or directory
./debrick.sh: line 359: /mnt/md0/etc/nas/service_startup/ssh: No such file or directory
mdadm: stopped /dev/md0
all done! device should be debricked!

the section in italic and underline is that I dont understand

help me please

The point it is erroring out at is the point where it copies the image from the usb drive to the hard drive and it looks like its not finding the image.

Do you have rootfs.img and the script in the root of the thumbdrive?
Is your rootfs.img around 2 gigabytes?

Guide updated with the link to firmware 02.32.05-046 for those who want to debrick their drives to the LATEST firmware

Thank you very much for this ‘nfodiz’. 

I followed your guide step by step and it worked perfectly. I tried first to debrick without the ‘destroy’ command to leave my data intact. This restored my MBL to a fully working condition however i thought of clarifying that i wasn’t able to access that data through the ‘view my files’ button since i could only ‘see’ the newly created ‘public share’. To access my previous data i enabled from the settings the ftp interface and then logged into my drive through 'FileZilla Client '. In any case i had backed up my data already with the help of ‘Disk Internals - Linux Reader for Windows’ as u explained in your post. Everything works wonderfully now…

Thanks again :slight_smile:

@vilanov-a Glad it worked out for you :slight_smile:

I updated the guide with instructions that should give access to your shares back if you use the debricking script WITHOUT the destroy flag set.

Guide updated again with proper instructions to get access to your shares back after debricking a drive WITHOUT the destroy flag set.

Just a quick question:

After unbricking my MBL with this truly fantastic script, I am no longer able to update the MBL firmware (all updates get stuck at 10% or earlier)

Is this always like that?

…on the other hand not being able to update the firmware actually solves the main problem :wink:

@mumpitz No that is not normal behavior as I have never run into that issue. The good news is that I also have a nice guide that allows you to use your reset button on the MyBookLive to upgrade or downgrade to any firmware you want. It also makes for a nice safety net in case something bad were to ever happen to the MyBookLive OS. And the best part is, you don’t have to take the drive out of the case :slight_smile:

Check it out at http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/GUIDE-Restore-Downgrade-firmware-via-the-reset-button/td-p/481588

1 Like

Great! I’ll try that

Thank you for your steps and instructions.

It worked for me!

A couple things though-

I was able to copy over most of my vital documents.  Then went through the process.  No problems there.

I choose to preserve the shares and when I loaded it back onto the network and went to the Dashboard, a lot of the settings were already there.  My user names, the accounts they were tied to through WD2go, and the shares were all listed as already created.  However, they were not linked properly by the OS and were not actually being shared.

I deleted the user accounts.  I then attempted to restore one of the shares by deleting it on the dashboard and re-creating it with the same name.  That deleted all of the files in the share, but then shared the folder.  (I had already backed up that data.)

I then renamed one of the shares “Photos” to “Photos2” and made it public rather than private.  That made it appear on the network drive.  I then was able to name it back to “Photos” and my drive mappings occured like they had previously.

I am unable to make it back to a private share though, it keeps encountering an error.  But I haven’t attempted to troubleshoot it because I am just waiting for the replacement warrenty drive to copy it all over.

The drive also did a self check and is registering itself as “Bad” with a SMARTware failure.  It also will not update the firmware from the version I put on with the debricking script.

So it worked to get my data back, but I am waiting on the new drive to just copy my files over onto and send this one back.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I will update the guide with your trick to rename the shares and then rename them back in the dashboard to get them linked properly again. I have never had the script actually keep my shares listed in the dashboard so this is a first for me.

Thanks again for sharing this info :slight_smile:

I’ve had been trying this method for a couple of days, with no success. I have a 2 TB MBL, where the HD simply died, would not spin up at all. I applied for an RMA but they wanted me to send it in from Australia to Thialand for some reason, and because of the cost of postage I decided not to bother and bought a WD20EARX instead.

Booting the sysresccd on my laptop, I only had a USB to SATA connector, but even though everything seemed to go as planned, the MBL would never boot up afterwards, the light stayed yellow forever.

Yesterday I brought home an eSATA to SATA cable I found in an old m’board box, hooked everything up again, and gparted did not even see the partitions on the WD drive, which were visible when it was connected via USB.

Anyway, 5 minutes later I’m up and running. Even upgraded to the latest firmware and still have ssh access. I may even put it back in its enclosure, for now its just the HD with the interface held on with 2 screws!

Great to have my Twonky media server back, I’ve been busy transferring files from the MBL Duo which is useless as a media server, even via network share.

So, if you are trying to do this via USB/SATA and having issues, go direct to SATA/SATA, that may help.

I’ve even hacked around since this and now have the TwonkyMedia server copied over and running on my MBL Duo, page 7 of:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live-Duo/WD-My-Book-Live-Duo-4TB-DLNA-issues/td-p/365559

1 Like

Thanks for posting your story Paul :slight_smile: I will update the guide to reflect that information.

Glad your back up and running

Hello!

Sorry for my bad english, but it’s not my native language.

I have the same problem as at new 28006.

I have rootfs.img and the script in the root of the thumbdrive.

On the thumbdrive only this 2 files.

More anything isn’t present.

Please, help me!!! What can I do ?

Volgar wrote:

Hello!

Sorry for my bad english, but it’s not my native language.

I have the same problem as at new 28006.

I have rootfs.img and the script in the root of the thumbdrive.

On the thumbdrive only this 2 files.

More anything isn’t present.

Please, help me!!! What can I do ?

How do you have the hard drive hooked up to your computer? If your using a USB to SATA cable, that could be your problem.

How do you have the hard drive hooked up to your computer? If your using a USB to SATA cable, that could be your problem.

SATA to SATA. it is connected directly to the motherboard

Have you backed up the data on the drive with Diskinternals Linux reader yet? If you have, try running the script with the destroy flag (bottom part of the guide) maybe your partitions are corrupted?

nfodiz wrote:

Have you backed up the data on the drive with Diskinternals Linux reader yet? If you have, try running the script with the destroy flag (bottom part of the guide) maybe your partitions are corrupted?

I already did it twice or three times.