[GUIDE] How to unbrick a totally dead MBL

Reboot the cd again and don’t type any commands, Just fire up gparted and tell me where each device shows up and I will post coded lines you can copy and paste into terminal with a right click

ok like this:

mkdir space /mnt/usb

mount space -tvfat space /dev/sdb1 space /mnt/usb

cd space /mnt/usb

mdadm space -S space /dev/md0

./debrick.sh space rootrs.img space /edv/sda

Correct?

OK will do

Ok, GParted shows the two devices as:

2.73TiB hard drive = sda and is composed of 

Partion unallocated 15.00 MiB

Partition /dev/sda3 unknown primary size 489.00 Mib with triangle exclamation point

Partition /dev/sda1 ext3 size 1.91 GiB used 585.69 MiB unused 1.34 GiB raid

Partition /dev/sda2 ext3 size 1.91 GiB used 585.69 MiB unused 1.34 GiB raid

Partition /dev/sda4 unkown primary 2.72 TiB used - unused -

Thumb drive = sdb

Partition Unallocated size 145.23 used - unused -

Partition /dev/sdb1 fat32 USB20FD size 29.73 used 1.92 GiB unused 27.81 GiB boot, lba

Ok here you go, copy and paste these into the terminal window one at a time (Control-c should copy and a right click and paste should paste the command into terminal)

mkdir /mnt/usb

mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usb

cd /mnt/usb

mdadm -S /dev/md0

./debrick.sh rootfs.img /dev/sda

Ok, here is what happened:

root@sysresccd /root % mkdir /mnt/usb

root@sysresccd /root % mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usb

root@sysresccd /root % cd /mnt/usb

root@sysresccd /mnt/usb % mdadm -S /dev/md0

mdadm: stopped /dev/md0

root@sysresccd /mnt/usb % ./debrick.sh rootfs.img /dev/sda

********************** DISK           **********************

script will use the following disk: 

Model: ATA WDC WD30EZRS-11J (scsi)

Disk /dev/sda: 3001GB

Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B

Partition Table: gpt

Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name     Flags

3      15.7MB  528MB   513MB                primary

1      528MB   2576MB  2048MB  ext3         primary  raid

2      2576MB  4624MB  2048MB  ext3         primary  raid

4      4624MB  3001GB  2996GB               primary

is this REALLY the disk you want? [y] y

********************** IMAGE          **********************

********************** IMPLEMENTATION **********************

everything is now prepared!

device:       /dev/sda

image_img:    rootfs.img

destroy:      false

this is the point of no return, continue? [y] y

mdadm: /dev/sda1 appears to contain an ext2fs file system

size=1999808K  mtime=Thu Jan  1 00:00:01 1970

mdadm: size set to 1999808K

mdadm: creation continuing despite oddities due to --run

mdadm: array /dev/md0 started.

mke2fs 1.42.7 (21-Jan-2013)

Filesystem label=

OS type: Linux

Block size=4096 (log=2)

Fragment size=4096 (log=2)

Stride=0 blocks, Stripe width=0 blocks

125184 inodes, 499952 blocks

24997 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super user

First data block=0

Maximum filesystem blocks=515899392

16 block groups

32768 blocks per group, 32768 fragments per group

7824 inodes per group

Superblock backups stored on blocks: 

32768, 98304, 163840, 229376, 294912

Checking for bad blocks (read-only test):   0.00% done, 0:00 elapsed. (0/0/0 errdone                                                 

Allocating group tables: done                            

Writing inode tables: done                            

Creating journal (8192 blocks): done

Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done 

mdadm: added /dev/sda2

synchronize raid… done

copying image to disk… 

3999616+0 records in

3999616+0 records out

2047803392 bytes (2.0 GB) copied, 132.537 s, 15.5 MB/s

mdadm: stopped /dev/md0

all done! device should be debricked!

root@sysresccd /mnt/usb % 

Looks good :slight_smile:

Screw the board back on to the hard drive with 2 screws and plug in the ethernet cord and then the power and see if it boots up before you put it all together again. Lemme know how it goes

The only thing that catches my eye is your data partition

4      4624MB  3001GB  2996GB               primary

It should be listed as an EXT4 partition like this

4      4624MB  3001GB  2996GB  ext4         primary

You may want to make sure you can access your data after you recreate your shares and put the drive back together.

1 Like

Well unfortunately it still won’t boot.  I get the solid blue led and then a solid green led for quite some time instead of the normal flashing green led.    Then it goes to solid red.  I don’t know what else to do.

can you get to the dashboard? The red LED usually means the drive not being able to mount sda4 (the data partition)

Nope.  No dashboard access at all.  I’m going to try disk internals partition recovery on that partition and see what happens.

Well, it is probably going to take a while on this large of a partition.  It’s up to (66) folders and (3,000) files and I can’t even see the progress bar green part yet.    I’ll get back on it after the partition recovery completes.  Nfodiz you are one generous fellow and I thank you for all of this help.

Barry

That was my next suggestion. Step 2 of my guide has a couple of programs that can pull the data off a MBL hard drive. DiskInternals Linux Reader is the easiest to use. In the case of a damaged partition R-Linux may work if DiskInternals doesn’t. I think testdisk is on the system rescue cd as well. There are also some commands you can try from the system rescue cd terminal window to repair the partition.

fsck /dev/sda4

The process should go through 5 passes and you will be prompted to fix things with a simple y or n
Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information

This should fix your filesystem on the datavolume.

I ran the reader first but it didn’t seem to be able to see or recover any files.  Now I’m running the partition recovery wizard and it’s counting up the files and folders.  Your post about which partition was showing up wrong guided me to which one to run the recovery on so thanks for that.  Hopefully it will repair the ext4 partition and I’ll be good to go.  There is 9 months worth of CAD work on this drive and it would kill me if I lose it.  Thanks again Nfodiz.  I’ll keep you posted on this.  Up to (68) folders and over (7,000) files now.  You see what I mean about lots of work. :slight_smile:

Barry

The hard drive may be on its last legs which caused the original corruption to the drive as well so keep that in mind

should I cancel this disk internals partition recovery routine, reboot under the systemrescuecd and run that command?

Wow yeah I see what you mean. Keep me posted and I pray for the best

bnwitt wrote:

should I cancel this disk internals partition recovery routine, reboot under the systemrescuecd and run that command?

I’m not sure what effect that would have on the drive now that it’s in the middle of a recovery and I don’t want to walk you into a trap and you end up losing all your data.

Well it’s only 9 months old and I think a power outage in the middle of a read/write function Saturday night might have corrupted the partition.  However, I guarantee there will be a double back up on these files this time.  I now have a 3TB HDD in the computer and a second My Book Live 3TB.  So echo echo everywhere.

That’s exactly what got the partition. I was gonna ask you if you had a power outage. It is most def fixable then.