[GUIDE] Debrick MyBookLive v2.0

This guide works perfectly!!!

I’ve replace my damaged 2TB HDD by an new 1TB (WD10EZRX) and works like a new.

Thanks a lot.

thanks for the help!!!

not :angry:

I solved the problem i brought a Synology ds414j instead.:smiley:

At least they will my answer Questions!!!

1 Like

@NFOOIZ : Hi there mate, thanks for all your contribution and all your help. With the post below, I was hoping that you might be able to set me in the right direction too. I have a WD Mybook Live DUO that came with 2 * 2TB WD Green HDD’s which I would like to replace with 2 * 6TB WD RED Drives. 

As far as I know, my MBLD works fine, although I haven’t used it yet despite owning it for a while as when I purchased it I was under the impression that swapping out to bigger HDD’s would be a piece of cake. Anyway, my system is working fine and so if I replace 1 of the 2TB HDD’s with a 6TB HDD, rebuild the array and then swap out the other 2TB HDD with another 6TB HDD, how would I be able to expand the storage space to utilize the full 6TB capacity? 

Would it work if I took out one of the 6TB HDDs after the above procedure, and used gparted (GUI) to expand the capacity to full 6TB and then put the device back in the MBLD? Or would the process below, with some modifications, work in my case?

Looking forward to your support, thanking you in advance.

Regards.

@ Mav3rick

I actually had a ton of help putting that guide together collaborating with several other people in the community as I don’t own a MBL Duo. I’m not sure if what you’re wanting to do would work and I certainly don’t want to steer you in the wrong direction with bad advice that may lead to data loss. I would suggest contacting one of the folks in the MBL Duo Debrick thread that helped me put that guide together as you will surely get better advice.

Best of luck

nfodiz

1 Like

@nfodiz Mate, it was your guide that led to through. The steps I took were:

I updated the firmware to the latest version before I started, just a heads-up:

1. Replace 1 of the original 2TB drives with 1 * 6TB Drive

2. Let the MBLD Rebuild the Array.

3. Replace the other 2TB Drive with the other 6TB Drive

4. Let the MBLD Rebuild the Array.

5. Pull out 1 of the 6TB Drives and use the PC with gParted to delete /sda4 (or the biggest partition) and re-create the partition again.

Note: I had to follow step 5 because for some reason I could not extend the partition with gParted. Perhaps it was to do with incompatible size of the 6TB drive. Infact, I also had to reboot the PC a couple of times to gain write access to the partition as I was getting an error that the partition was in use and could not be deleted.

1. Replicate the step 5 with the other 6TB Drive.

2. Put back both the drives in MBLD and boot it up, it showed me the red light but the web interface was accessible after about 10 minutes.

3. Perform a factory restore (quick factory restore). Reboot.

And I was all done :slight_smile:

My MBL got knocked to the floor by accident and it trashed the harddrive. I was going to toss the whole thing but decided to try putting a hdd I had lying around unused. Thank goodness I found your posts.

Took me a while to figure out that I needed to connect the MBL to my router and not my computer after closing down the RescueCD.  I am not very versed in Linux but I learned computers on DOS 3.0, so typing in the terminal brought back old memories and I managed to get it all done correctly. 

Thanks so much for sharing your work!

I have been trying the de-bricking process described in this article and was not able to find any success until yesterday. So I thought to write a description incorporating my findings and procedures to have a successful de-bricking.

1. Target device is My Book Live Duo (Will also work with My Book Live)
  2. Will work with only WD HDD’s. (I was trying with Seagate all these time with no success)
  3. Will also work with single HDD in slot ‘A’ of My Book Live Duo.
  4. Tools required are Sysrescue CD probably the latest version, Virgin disk image, 8Gb NTFS formatted USB, 7zip.
    Please be aware that this method will delete all your data from the target HDD.
  5. Format the 8gb usb with NTFS format. (can use windows platform for that)
  6. Open the virgin disk image with 7zip and extract the mybook.img file available in its root to any location in your PC.
  7. Now copy back the mybook.img from your pc to the newly formatted 8gb usb. (make sure that the file you copy is in the root of the usb; which means there are no folders present)
  8. Restart you pc from the sysresue cd. Make sure that the HDD and 8gb usb is connected to PC before hand.
  9. From the sysrescue startup menu select “Directly start the graphical interface” option
  10. Once you are on the sysrescue desktop; launch gparted and observe what drives are assigned to your HDD and USB. (Mine was USB under sdb1 and HDD under sdc. Yours might be different and substitute accordingly in the commands that proceeds)
  11. Close gparted and launch Terminal.
  12. Now type these commands one by one and press enter after each line.

mkdir /mnt/usb
mount –t ntfs /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usb (replace sdb1 with the usb assigned letter of yours)
dd if=/mnt/usb/mybook.img of=/dev/sda bs=1M (replace sda with the HDD assigned letter of yours)

1. Wait after the last command is executed as it will take some time to copy all the image file to HDD.
  2. Look for any errors in terminal window. If everything goes fine the output will be something similar like 4420+0 records in
    4420+0 records out
  3. Logout the system rescue cd and shut down the computer
  4. Hookup the HDD to slot ‘A’ of MBLD and connect the network cable.
  5. Now check in your router what ip is assigned to your MBLD and connect to its web interface. The light will be still yellow or flashing yellow.
  6. Do a quick factory restore.
  7. Now you can use your MBLD.
1 Like

Hi, thanks for the great guide.

I am using the mybook3tb.img on an new empty unallocated drive with no partitions.

Everything goes fine, 4420+0 records in, 4420+0 records out but looking at the drive in GParted afterwords there isn’t any filesystem or partitions, it looks as it did prior to running scripts.

Any help/info much appreciated, thanks, J

I would love to know this as well. The originally linked 7z files appear not to download completely - files are only 524 KB large and do not open. Any pointers? Thanks a lot. Kind regards, Magnus

Problem solved, just had to register with MEGAsync, then complete download worked - THANKS!

I was able to follow the instructions as explained in Guide 1. But when I connect my MBL to Ethernet port and power adapter, it still shows red light and dashboard is not accessible.

Would the same procedure apply for a 4TB, 5TB and 6TB drive?

Thank you so much nfodiz for this great guide!
Even for a Windows user easy to follow.

I just want to share my successful HDD exchange from my MBL 3TB drive to a 4TB drive (WD Green : WD40EZRX). I also could successfully update the MBL’s FW to apnc-024310-048-20150507. Great stuff!

The only difference to your guide was the gparted partition resize process, which in my case required to accept a GPT fix (suggested from gparted) and a resizing of the 1TB partition to 4TB. That has done the trick.

I will now try to do the same with a 6TB drive and will let you know, when I was successful.

EDIT: …it worked! I could successfully change the original 1TB drive to a 6TB! drive, yes!
FYI:
The drive I have used is a: HDD WD Blue WD60EZRZ 6TB SATAIII 5400
FW was updated to: MyBookLive 02.43.10-048 : Core F/W

Many Thanks Again

i’m trying to unbrick a mbl with a new 1tb hdd, the old one has passed :stuck_out_tongue:

my problem is that after i restored the image to hdd in gparted i get only unallocated space. created a gpt part table, restored again, the same result. (tried with different unpackers, same result)

so i went to the long way, debrick.sh, different versions of rootfs.img, script creates patitions, but doesn’t get to create md0 succesfully so i went manually: md0 created ok, same commands as the script but manually entered, added second partition, formated md0 ext 3 4k, restored rootfs.img into it, mounted ok, copied boot.scr, enabled ssh, put led to blink for test, unmounted, stopped md0; formated data part in ext4 64k with warnings, done that; got the swap program from the script, executed as in script, everithing ok, hdd in pcb and that’s it: it dosesn’t work :slight_smile: no led blink only from 2 sec of blue light goes to a yellow light i think

if anyone can help, i would apreciate…

PS: connected again, mounted md0, looked in /var/logs, not even 1 log; lan leds blinks, no ip requested even after few hours.

Hey everyone, I restored mine doing a completely different procedure.

I have 2 MBL 2TB devices, une of them crashed a few days ago. I tried using this procedure but was unsuccesful due to the fact that I dont have desktop computers at home, only laptops. And since the process requires a SATA connection, it just wouldnt work for me. So if you have a similar situation and the only port you can use is USB using a Sata to USB adapter, then here is a solution.

This works for restoring a WD MyBookLive 2TB Network drive only, I dont know if it will work for other capacities and I dont think it will work for other models.

These Steps work on Windows and certainly on Linux, I did it with an old Aspire One laptop with Windows 7 installed on it.

You’ll need:
1.- Your MBL Hard Drive already disassembled, like shown on the video
2.- Your SATA to USB adapter
3.- A Usb flash Drive (mine was 16GB, but I think a 4GB will suffice)
4.- Universal USB Installer
5.- Clonezilla Live CD (I used the Stable version)
6.- 7zip
7.- WD MyBookLive 2TB Disk Clone Image

Once you have everything I listed, here is what I did:

1.- Make your USB Flash Drive bootable with Clonezilla using the program Universal USB Installer.
To do this, just open the Universal USB Installer. Select The CloneZilla ISO file you downloaded, then From the pull down list select Clonezilla, then select the FlashDrive Unit. Select to Format the FlashDrive And then create.

2.- Extract the MyBookLive Image in the 7zip file to your local hard drive in the root folder using 7zip and then turn off your computer

3.- Connect your MBL Drive to your Sata to USB adapter and connect it to the computer
4.- Connect you bootable USB Flash Drive to other USB port, turn on your computer and make sure to boot from the Flash Drive
5.- If you are not too savy with Linux commands, your best bet is to start clonezilla with the “graphic” interface.
6.- Follow the prompts. When it asks you about which disk to use for storing the images created, select your computers local hard drive
7.- You’ll get a prompt that asks you if you wish to clone your drive or if you wish to restore. Select Restore and then select the file that you extracted from the 7zip and then point it to the 2TB disk
8.- Follow the prompts and then let it work for about 15 minutes and you are done!
9.- Reassemble the disk, connect it to the network and turn it on.
10.- You have a brand new WD MyBookLive 2TB ready to work

I hope this helps

1 Like

@Ranmasword Your instruction in number 6 and number 7 is not that clear. Thank you.

Both steps can be a little confusing because of the way they use the language.
The idea is that step 6 is about where is clonezilla going to find the disk image you plan to use. However on the promt it asks which disk to use for storing the images created, it means which disk contains the image you are planning to use, or in case you create an image of an attached disk, where should it be stored.
Step 7 asks if you wish to clone the drive you attached or if you wish to restore it. Since you are planning to restore the disk, not create a faulty clone, you select “restore”.

I did this a while ago, and I’m not sure if there has been any newer versions to the one I used. It may be simpler to use clonezilla now. Play with it, just don’t mess your computers internal hard drive.

I hope this helps you.

1 Like

@Ranmasword Thanks! I get it now but I got some error the drive(mybooklive) or the img is corrupted. What should I do?

redownload the WD img file?1

Yes, try again. It is the file my system created and I used it twice. It should work.

hi, I have the same issue…
Did you finally find a solution ?