[GUIDE] Debrick MyBookLive v2.0

Hello,

Im trying to resize the partition from 1TB to 2TB by using parted` in ssh console, with HDD connected to MBL box.

Can anyone help me with this task? I`m not so skilled with Unix! :slight_smile:

Thank you!

@nutello Your commands are coming up in about 15 minutes if all goes well

@nutello here you go, just tested and worked 100%

If you run into issues with CacheVolume, nfs, shares and DataVolume not unmounting then debrick again but this time don’t do the quick factory restore. After the debrick, turn on SSH in the dashboard and use putty to issue the following commands.

Part 1 (Do not type the lines in BOLD in PuTTY as they are just a couple of prompts you will run into)

/etc/init.d/cron stop
/etc/init.d/monitorio stop
/etc/init.d/twonky stop
/etc/init.d/itunes stop
/etc/init.d/orion stop
umount /CacheVolume
umount /nfs
umount /shares
umount /DataVolume

parted
unit s
p

Error: The backup GPT table is corrupt, but the primary appears OK, so that will
be used.
OK/Cancel?
OK

Warning: Not all of the space available to /dev/sda appears to be used, you canfix the GPT to use all of the space (an extra 3907008000 blocks) or continuewith the current setting?Fix/Ignore?
Fix

rm 4
Warning: WARNING: the kernel failed to re-read the partition table on /dev/sda
(Device or resource busy). As a result, it may not reflect all of your changes
until after reboot.

mkpart primary 9031680s -1
Is this still acceptable to you?
Yes
quit
sync
reboot

Device will now reboot

Part 2 (Do not type the lines in BOLD in PuTTY as they are just a couple of prompts you will run into)

/etc/init.d/cron stop
/etc/init.d/monitorio stop
/etc/init.d/twonky stop
/etc/init.d/itunes stop
/etc/init.d/orion stop
umount /CacheVolume
umount /nfs
umount /shares
umount /DataVolume

e2fsck -f /dev/sda4
Select yes to all fix prompts (There will be a ton of them)

resize2fs -p /dev/sda4This command takes a long timesync
reboot

When the MBL reboots you should have 2TB showing in the dashboard

3 Likes

Solved with your last procedure!

Perfect! :slight_smile:

Thank you!

You’re welcome :slight_smile: I’m glad we could finally get you fixed

Hi, Just wondering if you are able to put an entirely different hard drive into one of these?

My situation is, I bought 3 of these (all 2TB) about a year ago purely for the hard drives as they were cheaper at the time then buying just the hard drive. I kept the parts though incase I ever found a use for them. Just yesterday I found out just how useful they can be.

Now I wish to get one of these up and running with sabnzb to replace the pc that I have currently set up just for sab. So since the original hard drives from these are currently in use in my raid5 setup and I don’t wish to rebuild my raid at this point in time. I have a spare 2TB seagate drive and a spare 3TB WD Green drive to work with currently.

I have already tried to use your 3TB virgin disk image, everything looks perfect, all the partitions are right on the drive, but the LED just flashes blue. I Thought it probably didn’t work besause the original drives were only 2TB and maybe the firmware doesn’t support 3TB. 

I was about to try using my seagate 2TB drive with your 1-2TB guide to see if it would work but I thought I’d ask if anyone has tried this first before I just disappoint myself again.

If anyone has any tips for me on this, it would be greatly appretiated. If i could get it to use the 3TB drive that would be ideal.

Thanks in advance, Michael.

Did you try to get to the dashboard on the drive that is flashing blue? The LED is tri-color and some of the colors are known to burn out. I have used my other guide to debrick to a Seagate Hard Drive, I haven’t tried with these images though but I would think the 1TB image followed by a partition resize would work :slight_smile:

Keep me posted

With the 3TB drive I have tried getting to the dashboard with mybooklive\ with no result and using the actual WD discovery with no results. Is there another way that I should be trying?

Will give it a go with the seagate 2TB in a moment :slight_smile:

Just tried it with my 2TB with the exact same result. swapped the board to one of my other ones and still the same result with the flashing blue light. what are the chances of the leds burning out in 2 separate boards that have never been powered up before? I will try again folloing your original guide, see if I have any luck there. 

In a web browser you would just type http://mybooklive

You may wanna check your router and see if the router is issuing the MBL an IP address.

I have one of these boxes dedicated to SabNZB amongst other things and it works great

lilmick89 wrote:

Just tried it with my 2TB with the exact same result. swapped the board to one of my other ones and still the same result with the flashing blue light. what are the chances of the leds burning out in 2 separate boards that have never been powered up before? I will try again folloing your original guide, see if I have any luck there. 

Yeah I would guess you are running into some other issue. Are you using a USB to SATA cable by chance? They are very hit and miss it seems. I’m trying to think of what else might be causing the issue.

A blinking blue LED isn’t even listed in the user manual. Not sure what’s going on but I hope the other guide works for you. If using a USB to SATA cable, try using a direct SATA connection if possible.

Good luck

Something else you could try is using Windows to delete all the partitions on the drive so all you have is unallocated space. I usually then open a DOS prompt and use diskpart just to make sure the disk it wiped clean

diskpart

list disk

select disk * (Make absolutely sure you type the correct disk number from the list or you risk killing your Windows disk) In my case it was “select disk 1”

clean

exit

exit

That will wipe out the first and last few megs of the disk which will wipe the partition table etc…

I’m using a direct sata connection. I’ve been wiping the drives with GParted first to have a completely unallocated drive, would this not be the same as a format in windows? the only next best thing would be a complete format, but that will take all night to perform. I will try again a few more times just to make sure. The LAN leds were not turning on at all on the mybook either, tried a couple different lan cables and different router. Have even assigned their MAC addresses static IP addresses in the router too just to make sure they get an IP. I’ll get it eventually LOL. Thank you for all your help. I would not have gotten this far without it :smiley: Very much appreciated.

Just had an epiphany. All my drive are set up as GPT… should they be MBR?

The MBL uses GPT… The LAN lights not blinking in the back is concerning. On my MBL the LAN lights turn on as soon as I plug the unit in. They also continue to blink when the MBL is in a total shutdown state. Something strange is going on for sure on your end.

I went threw your first guide last night and while comparing the script output with the one you have posted my spat out something different. If I run threw it again and copy the script output up here, could I get you to have a quick look threw it? I know nothing of Linux so it is all just gibberish to me. As I said in a previous post, these MBL boards have never been powered up before yesterday as I bought them purely for the hard drives, so it has to be something I am doing wrong with the debrick.

I posted the terminal output using the first guide in that thread. This is the terminal output using this method. this to me looks good but it still does nothing but flash blue.

root@sysresccd /root % mkdir /mnt/usb

root@sysresccd /root % mount -t ntfs /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usb

root@sysresccd /root % dd if=/mnt/usb/mybook3tb.img of=/dev/sda bs=1M

4420+0 records in

4420+0 records out

4634705920 bytes (4.6 GB) copied, 132.029 s, 35.1 MB/s

root@sysresccd /root % 

root@sysresccd /root % 

Yep that output looks perfect. I’m still looking over your output in the other guide. Trying to figure out what that not a block special device error is all about

OH YEAH! I’m so excited, dancing around the room tike a crazed lunatic. It was my power pack all along. Both the 3TB WD and the 2TB Seagate drives are working perfectly with the images from this guide v2.0.

Thank you so much for all your help and may this be added to the info somewhere… blinking blue light = blown power pack :wink:

again thank you for everything nfodiz