[GUIDE] Debrick a MyBookLive DUO

I just stumbled onto this thread.  I have a MBLD that died some time back.  I replaced it with a Snyology NAS.  I would like to try and get the MBLD back up and running.  I have some questions:

1. Before I invest in replacement drives I would like to follow the guides with some drives that I have laying around.  I have a 200gig and a 250gig.  Is there a size limit on the MBLD - i.e. can I use 2 small drives or do they need to be 1T and above?  Can I use 2 drives of different size.  If I can get the WDLD to boot I would redo the process with 2 3T drives.

2. I run Windows 7.  I understand the process of booting into Linux via the sysreccd boot disk.  In guide 2 it states:

Once the script finishes, shut down the System Rescue Cd

Remove disk B and drop both disk A and B back into the enclosure and power on the NAS

Once the MBLD has booted up go to the dashboard and do a quick factory restore

Do I reboot my system and run dashboard from Win 7?’

1. SSH - where do I run SSH from - Win7?  Linux?  I am not familiar with SSH.  Where do I get it?

I’m sure that I’ll have more questions as I go along but this will at least get me started.  Thanks to everyone who have contributed to this thread.  Hopefully I can get the WDLD running again.

There is no limitation on size (at least low drivers) to use on the MBLD.

The only ‘’ issue’’ is that the WD system will not recognize the total size of the small drives.

I have here 

1 x 160gb

1 x 500gb

The system see the total as 650gb but shows 1tb on disk section but work 100% ok.

The process is simple.

You should boot with linux!

run the process of debrick on linux!

repeat the priocess with 2 drives, it will not work wiht just one drive fixes!

the ssh are after run the hole process, you should conect the MBLD on sabe router that will give the IP via DHCP to the MBLD, find this IP and access it on ssh like: 

192.168.1.190/ssh

enable and fallow the process…

ANy question just ask.

1 Like

I note that the directions say to plug the drive in vis esata to sata or sata to sata.  I have a USB ro sata connector.  Will this also work?

I had a issue using the usb adapter + VM ware on my Mac.

I use VM ware to emulate linux and run the whole process.

Did not work. It only work when i boot a pc and using the USB to sata.

Try your self and post the results.

In my rescue mission I have used USB 3.0 to SATA Icy Box IB-110StU3-B docking station. Not very sophisticated device and worked like a charm.

All the best in your attempt!

OK - my first attempt seems to be a failure.  Light on MBLD stays yellow so it never completes the boot.  I amy trying to set up with a 200 gig and a 250 gig.  I,m attaching the drives using a usb to sata adapter.  GParted sees the MBLD and thumb drives fine.]

Problem I had following guide 2 was with the commands

mdadm- S /dev/md0

mdadm -S /dev/md2

mdadm -S /dev/md3

md0 seems to be created but I get error messages on md2 amd md3 and they are not created

When I run the script it runs the destroy fine but seems to have trouble writing to the disk.  It has trouble finding md0 md2 amd md3

My MBLD 8TB (RAID 1) just refused to boot up after a power reset. It stays on yellow light even after 20 minutes.

I followed the step from 1 to 4, I found that gparted report the GPT is damaged for both HDD A and B.

Once you get to the desktop, open gparted and check to see where your MyBookLive shows under. In my case it shows up under /dev/sda
The drive should contain several EXT3 partitions and a rather large EXT4 partition

But if I use Ext2FSD on Windows 7, I can mount the data partition and backup all my data. 

My question is:

If I follow GUIDE 2, will it recreate the partitions and GPT ?

I’m still struggling with this.

When I type mdadm -S /dev/md0 I get the response ‘stopped /dev/md0’  Is this a correct response?

whenb I type mdadm -S /dev/md2 or mdadm -S /dev/dm3 the response I get is ‘error opening - no such file or directory’

when I type ./debrick.sh rootfs.img /dev/sda destroy I get a response ‘debrick.sh - no such file or directory’.  I know the file is on the USB drive.

any help would be appreciated.  

Thanks

You need to use a extra flash drive to save the  debrick guide and the rootfsss.img \

like: (can or cannot be like this)

SDA- the drive you will debrick

SDB- the flash drive you use to boot the systemrescue cd

SDC- the flash with debrick and rootfs

Check with Gparted the correct direction of you drives.

Mount the drive that contain the files you save…

Its normal the mdadm give an error with the two las options, the first should says stoped all the times…

Before I use both of the orginal 4TB drives, can I use other drives to test it out ? or can MBLD boot using drives other than WD green ?

I recall there is a boot script in rootfs that check for drive type. Can the rootfs.img be patched to run with other drives ?

I’m booting off of a CD - not a USB

sndflea wrote:

I’m booting off of a CD - not a USB

use “ls -l /dev/sd*” to find out what devices available.

I use 500gb hitashi and 160gb seagateso, yes you can use any drive.

OK then, if you are using cd you should use an usb flash to carrier the debrick and rootfs.

Mount the usb flash disk, find if is sda or sdb with gparted and run the command.

Can you run My Book DUO with just 1 HDD ?

I’ve followed Guide 2 and have a USB stick with the software loaded in the PC.  GParted shows the USB drive and the MLD drive I’m trying to rebuild.  The cd /mnt/usb runs without an error.  I get the reeor messages when I run the mdadm for md2 and md3.  Then when I run the last line  (“./ debrick.sh rootfs.img /dev/sda destroy” ) I get the error message that it can’t find debrick.sh.  I replace the sda with whatever GPartwd shows

sndflea wrote:

I’ve followed Guide 2 and have a USB stick with the software loaded in the PC.  GParted shows the USB drive and the MLD drive I’m trying to rebuild.  The cd /mnt/usb runs without an error.  I get the reeor messages when I run the mdadm for md2 and md3.  Then when I run the last line  (“./ debrick.sh rootfs.img /dev/sda destroy” ) I get the error message that it can’t find debrick.sh.  I replace the sda with whatever GPartwd shows

There is no space between “./” and “debrick.sh”

I dont thing so, never try to run with just 1 HDD. You can use 1tb and 80gb just to have 2 HDD´s.

You can as long as it is drive “A”. Drive “A” contains the firmware (OS). You can upgrade the drives to larger ones, but have to do it in stages. You replace drive “B” and have it mirror drive “A” and then you can swap drive “b” in drive “a” slot and then upgrade the empty drive “b” slot with a larger drive. WD doesn’t clearly explain that the firmware resides on drive “a” and to upgrade you have basically copy it over.

SGH71 wrote:

You can as long as it is drive “A”. Drive “A” contains the firmware (OS). You can upgrade the drives to larger ones, but have to do it in stages. You replace drive “B” and have it mirror drive “A” and then you can swap drive “b” in drive “a” slot and then upgrade the empty drive “b” slot with a larger drive. WD doesn’t clearly explain that the firmware resides on drive “a” and to upgrade you have basically copy it over.

Does the firmware check for the drive type ? e.g. WD green ? 

I know MyBook world edition II does.