[GUIDE] Debrick a MyBookLive DUO

Hello to nfodiz

Thank you, I recovered my MyBook Live Duo 6TB with your method

One problem I occured that after recovering, seems my Laptop BIOS isnt UEFI & my Rescue DISK I succeeded to make 746GB available,

So after SSH login I see my HDD status is this:

=============================

MyBookLiveDuo:~# parted
GNU Parted 2.2
Using /dev/sda
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type ‘help’ to view a list of commands.
(parted) p
Model: ATA WDC WD30EZRX-00M (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 3001GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt

Number  Start   End     Size    File system     Name     Flags
 3      15.7MB  528MB   513MB   linux-swap(v1)  primary  raid
 1      528MB   2576MB  2048MB  ext3            primary  raid
 2      2576MB  4624MB  2048MB  ext3            primary  raid
 4      4624MB  802GB   797GB   ext4            primary  raid

I need to extend ext4 from 4624MB to 3001GB (As shown in parted :Disk /dev/sda: 3001GB)

I think by a linux command I can fix this issue

Please help me , how can I recover all 6TB?

Thank you.

Hello, I tried to use the systemrescue cd on a imac. Unfortunately it is not loading the kernel files. Is it in general possible to make a debrick on a apple or do I have to switch to a windows or linux system? Ps I tried to use vmware but it isnt showing me a partition for the wd live duo drive hd A

Thanks in advance

Hi,

I have two 6TB Duo’s.  Both Spanning.  One is bricked with yellow light, the other is fine.  I don’t care about the data on the bricked one but do care about the working one.  

I there anyway to recover the bricked one by using the working drives from the other temporarily.

I’m comfortable working with Linux but my drive enclosure and PC with eSATA connections is currently in storage for a couple of weeks.  Just using a Macbook (albeit one with Win8 running in Parallels)

Also have an Ubuntu VM but everything I read suggests I need SATA to SATA when recovering from external drive enclosure.

Thanks in advance 

Hi,

I used Guide 1 on MLB duo. It stopped the solid yellow light but its trying to initialize as its in blue always. From what I hear the hard drive is trying to start but failed and goes back to the start again. Could the hard drive be damaged? Just there was no errors detected when I checked them in Gparted and it was an error free install…Any advice?

Thanks

I have a MBLD 4TB in spanning mode.  I am going for Guide #1, but I have a question.  Do I need to do this procedure only in Disk A or I have to repeat it or Disk B.  When I completed the procedure only on Disk A I was able to boot the NAS only with Disk A connected.  When I have both disks connected it won’t boot.  

My other question is, I got the NAS to boot with Disk A connected, the only drive with data because I have aproximately 1.6TB so far, but I got a message that says “The data volume on the drive is not accessible.”  Should I do any additional procedure via SSH or any other method?  I haven’t perform the firmware upgrade requested in the dashboard.

Ok, I’ve been reading a lot in different thread of this forum and I saw that in a My Book Live Duo the Guide to un-brick the device should be worked in Disk A only (spanning mode).  That’s been done succesfully (thanks NFODIZ).  I read that when the unit is powered it should start to rebuild everything but in my case the unit won’t boot and a solid yellow led stays on.  I disconnected disk B and the unit booted successfully with the following message:

Event title: Data volume failed to mount

Event description:The data volume on the drive is not accessible. Please contact customer service.

So, the data partition (ext4 partition) does not mount.  What happens with this?  I can’t see my data, I can’t upgrade the firmware, I can’t boot with both drives connected.  I am getting pretty anxious with this situation and even though I’ve read different ways to approach the unit’s problems I think I’m hitting a wall here because I don’t want to take the wrong approach and damage the data partition which I know the data is still there, I just need to mount it. 

Any recommendation in how I should proceed will be greatly appreciated because I know the drive is working, the partition is there (not labeled as ext4), but is there, and most important the data is there.  Any additional information needed to give me some advice just let me know and I’ll post it.

Thanks folks!!

mcmpr wrote:

Ok, I’ve been reading a lot in different thread of this forum and I saw that in a My Book Live Duo the Guide to un-brick the device should be worked in Disk A only (spanning mode).  That’s been done succesfully (thanks NFODIZ).  I read that when the unit is powered it should start to rebuild everything but in my case the unit won’t boot and a solid yellow led stays on.  I disconnected disk B and the unit booted successfully with the following message:

Event title: Data volume failed to mount

Event description:The data volume on the drive is not accessible. Please contact customer service.

So, the data partition (ext4 partition) does not mount.  What happens with this?  I can’t see my data, I can’t upgrade the firmware, I can’t boot with both drives connected.  I am getting pretty anxious with this situation and even though I’ve read different ways to approach the unit’s problems I think I’m hitting a wall here because I don’t want to take the wrong approach and damage the data partition which I know the data is still there, I just need to mount it. 

Any recommendation in how I should proceed will be greatly appreciated because I know the drive is working, the partition is there (not labeled as ext4), but is there, and most important the data is there.  Any additional information needed to give me some advice just let me know and I’ll post it.

Thanks folks!!

The WD My Book Live Duo is up and running again like before.  After I got it up and running I logged in via ssh and confirmed the shares names and re-created all of them.  I am able to access the data.  I upgrade the firmware and imported the backup configuration.  Working like a charm.  Thanks to @John012 who replied in another thread.

Hi nfodiz,

I am following method 1 in de-bricking my MBLD.

I am up to entering the commands in terminal, however I get to:

root@sysresccd /mnt/usb % mdadm -s /dev/md0

and I recieve a response of:

mdadm: -s does not set the mode, and so cannot be the first option.

I have followed the instructions to a T and would love to know if I am doing something wrong? I don’t want to proceed in case I screw it completely, anyone have any suggestions?

phirrip18 wrote:

Hi nfodiz,

I am following method 1 in de-bricking my MBLD.

I am up to entering the commands in terminal, however I get to:

and I recieve a response of:

mdadm: -s does not set the mode, and so cannot be the first option.

I have followed the instructions to a T and would love to know if I am doing something wrong? I don’t want to proceed in case I screw it completely, anyone have any suggestions?

I havd similar problems as you with mdadm.  So i used a different debrick script which did not use the mdadm command

http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/forum/t-607715

mdadm -S /dev/md0 - should be capital “S”

I ran the script using destroy option.  It was crazy long time to copy the image to the first drive.  I did a dd backup of sda1 and sda2 plus mbr and freespace.  It still took less time to run the destruct part of the script then declining to continue.  I restored from the backups.  Took hours less time and I had to generate the backups.  So I restored the second drive from images of the first disk which was restored using the debricker.sh script and rootfs.img.  I had to add the swap data and had to do a quick restore as the ext4 partition failed to mount.  Quick restore and reboot and I was golden.

Thanks for this thread.

Worked like a charm! THANK YOU!

No data loss on my raid 1 system.  I was able to back up all my data using diskinternals before I started the process.  I debricked using guide 1 to save my data.  The raid is rebuilding now.

However…

The Mybooklive duo is a key piece of hardware in my data management workflow - I have 3 of them-  and my confidence is shaken.  But, I guess in the end, I didn’t loose any data.

Besides mirrored drives-  what are my choices?  backing up my mirrors?

I hope it isn’t too late for a post here. Here goes: I am testing this now and I ran into some problems. I used guide 1, and the part where I’m using gparted to find the bricked drive, I find it to be sdc. The thing that stands out to me is where you mention it should be several partitions here; for me, it didn’t show any partitions, it was all grayed out and said no partitions. It showed 870 something gb, only part of the 3tb.

I continued with the process anyways. I put the drive back in the mbl duo when it finished, it’s still stopping at blinking yellow light. I always thought from the beginning it was possible the enclosure itself was bad, rather than my hard drives though. And it seems more than coincidence for me that it stopped booting properly shortly after the last firmware update I allowed it to run. It didn’t shut off mid-way, it’s connected to a battery backup, so I’m at a loss how it could mess something up if it was uninterrupted.

Anyways, assuming it is possible for the enclosure itself to be bad, am I right in guessing that that’s why the guide 1 process would have no effect on my mbl? Or is it more likely my drive is bad? Keep in mind I’m debricking drive B, the one the unit started sending me messages (emails) saying it was going bad. Some of the first things I tried when it first started messing up was switching the locations of drives A and B… it kept telling me B was bad, when it was actually A in that slot now… and I tried taking A out completely and turning it on with just B in the slot A… it still froze after just a few minutes of being powered on and booting completely. It eventually got worse to where it won’t boot, it won’t get past the blinking yellow light.

No way to make it work…

I dont have 2 disks available, just one with 500gb…

maybe this is my problem?

I have storage tab but dont have acces to my data…

On storage i have fail on both disks… and the nas recognize 1tb??? (wft)

my syslog are here:

http://www.4shared.com/zip/4uK4S6qJba/systemLog_WUZ232001568_1400005.html

Hi

I am new. 

I really dont realize the meaning for debrick MBLD. Could anyone explain it?

And, after debrick MBLD does it get faster?

What are the advantages?

Thank you

Did you have any linux knowledge?

Will be hard to explain pass by pass…

GUIDE 1 don’t fix MBLD  in the spanning mode!!!

I don’t still solve it ,I consider  all partitions(spanning mode)  aren’t  finded  unless  I  plugg both disk A and B in PC to use gparted,maybe It’s correct using only disk A in RAID 1 array.I consider MBLD has 4 mirror boot partitions about 1945M that twos in disk A and twos in disk B.If MBLD start up,it firstly according to files on the second 1945M partition in disk  B,when it’s failure,then according to other partitions in disk A.My MBLD of spanning mode was fixed by following GUIDE 1,it could start up only plugg disk A,it didn’t start up plugg both disk A and B!!!My MBLD just wasn’t  visited the home page other file system were good in past.So I reseted it by reset button  on the MBLD backboard.I finded  the file \Linux Ext Volume\var\www\index.html  was damaged on the second 1945M  partition disk B when I plugged disk A and disk B in PC,other the same files on other three 1945M  partitions were correct.Maybe that’s the reason the home page wasn’t visited. So I guess MBLD work on using files on the second 1945M partition disk B,if we don’t click the power down button by the manage pages,instead,power supply is shutting down suddenly, maybe someone file was damaged that often happens in Linux.  I attempt to fix the spanning partition disk A crossing disk B by parted tool.That’s failure. I want to know how to fix spanning partition,how to mount the spanning partition when system start up.I appreciate that!

Why WD dosn’t design a physical power button for MBLD?

When I unbricked my device I could get it to boot with just Disk A inserted.  This is a Linux box so I waited until the unit booted up and the inserted Disk B.  The unit detected the other disk and then it worked fine.  After that you should be able to reboot the unit with both disks.  Even though the data is still there you need to create the partition names in the GUI and the data will appear after that.

1 Like

Hi hanks for this guide, but i have debricked the 2 drives an put them back in the NAS, and the LED is White/Yello, the next step shuld be connecting via SSh (Putty) bu on what IP adress ? i havent could fint the default Ip adress

Pleas help

/Spril

What you do so far?

On my case i have the MBL conected with my router. The DHCP on my router give an IP for the MBL, so

i can access it…