[GUIDE] Debrick a MyBookLive DUO

Hi nfodiz,
first of all I would like to thank you for this great step by step guide! It’s simply enough even for me that I haven’t it at all with linux world!. I had an empty box so I bought 2 new WD 1TB disks. I followed GUIDE 2 since my disks was new. When I finished with both I droped them into box and the led light turned on Blue and after few seconds solid light green. I tried to access Dashbord with no luck also tried to discover the ip with also no result. After that I followed Guide 2 from the begining with the first disk and I noticed that even at the end of the script the message was " all done! device should be debricked!" there were errors before. Here is the whole output for the script:

root@sysresccd /mnt/usb % ./debrick.sh rootfs.img /dev/sda destroy

********************** DISK **********************

script will use the following disk:

Model: ATA WDC WD10EFRX-68F (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 1000GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags

is this REALLY the disk you want? [y] y

********************** IMAGE **********************

********************** IMPLEMENTATION **********************

everything is now prepared!
device: /dev/sda
image_img: rootfs.img
destroy: true

this is the point of no return, continue? [y] y

dd: error writing ‘/dev/sda1’: No space left on device
10+0 records in
9+0 records out
10366976 bytes (10 MB) copied, 0.00654839 s, 1.6 GB/s
dd: error writing ‘/dev/sda2’: No space left on device
1+0 records in
0+0 records out
0 bytes (0 B) copied, 0.000728724 s, 0.0 kB/s
dd: error writing ‘/dev/sda3’: No space left on device
1+0 records in
0+0 records out
0 bytes (0 B) copied, 0.000561035 s, 0.0 kB/s
dd: error writing ‘/dev/sda4’: No space left on device
1+0 records in
0+0 records out
0 bytes (0 B) copied, 0.000424635 s, 0.0 kB/s
Testing with pattern 0x00: done
Reading and comparing: done
GNU Parted 3.2
Using /dev/sda
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type ‘help’ to view a list of commands.
(parted) mklabel gpt
(parted) mkpart primary 528M 2576M
(parted) mkpart primary 2576M 4624M
(parted) mkpart primary 16M 528M
(parted) mkpart primary 4624M -1M
(parted) set 1 raid on
(parted) set 2 raid on
(parted) set 3 raid on
(parted) set 4 raid on
(parted) quit
Information: You may need to update /etc/fstab.

Warning: blocksize 65536 not usable on most systems.
mke2fs 1.42.13 (17-May-2015)
mkfs.ext4: Device size reported to be zero. Invalid partition specified, or
partition table wasn’t reread after running fdisk, due to
a modified partition being busy and in use. You may need to reboot
to re-read your partition table.

destroying was done, would you like to continue with installation? [y] y

mdadm: /dev/sda1 is not a block device
mdadm: Cannot find /dev/md0: No such file or directory
mke2fs 1.42.13 (17-May-2015)
The file /dev/md0 does not exist and no size was specified.
mdadm: error opening /dev/md0: No such file or directory

synchronize raid… mdadm: Cannot find /dev/md0: No such file or directory
done

copying image to disk…
dd: writing to ‘/dev/md0’: No space left on device
1+0 records in
0+0 records out
0 bytes (0 B) copied, 0.00124604 s, 0.0 kB/s
mount: /dev/md0 is not a block device (maybe try `-o loop’?)
cp: cannot stat ‘/mnt/md0/usr/local/share/bootmd0.scr’: No such file or directory
./debrick.sh: line 361: /mnt/md0/etc/nas/service_startup/ssh: No such file or directory
umount: /mnt/md0: not mounted
mdadm: /dev/md0 does not appear to be an md device
BLKGETSIZE: Inappropriate ioctl for device
BLKGETSIZE: Inappropriate ioctl for device

all done! device should be debricked!

Sorry but I have already said I am totally out of linux world.
Thanks in advance for helping.

Where is everyone finding their data to back up? There’s no way to browse for me to see the original file structure. If I use DiskInternals raid recovery it can find a bunch of files and put random names on them with no folder structure.

Also, my drive kept getting stuck in the rebuild process. It was stuck at 46% for a while. After a couple days and retrying it finally got to 76% and not sure if it got any further.

Now it has a solid green light, but the unit is not accessible on the network.

I will attempt to run debrick again.

Hello George,

have you pluged the hdd on a free SATA on your PC or did you use a USB to SATA converter?

Very recently I tried to get an empty box with two 3TB WD up n running and got stuck at the same state as you did.
# ./debrick rootfs.img destroy
partitions got created but somehow the script could not go further because it could not initialize the created partitions.
(I was using an USB 3.0 to SATA-adaptor and RecoveryCD on VirtualBox)
But after unpluging and pluging in again, the script ran trough.
# ./debrick rootfs.img

Hello,
I have a MBLD 6tb and it stopped working after a lightning storm. the drive goes from blue to yellow to red. The MLBD dashboard says that it failed to mount drive a. I was going to follow the guide 1 unbrick method but when i took drive a out of the enclosure and connected it to my pc the bios read the 3tb drive as WDC WD30EZRX-00DC0B0 (2097152MB) but windows 7 doesnt see the drive at all not even in disk manager. I used the system rescue disc and while booting up its giving a lot of (failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=5) and softreset failed (device not ready) errors. when its finally finished loading i type gparted and it says “unable to open /dev/sr0 read-write (read-only file system). /dev/sr0 has been opened read-only. /dev/sr0: unrecognised disk label” in the terminal and no devices detected in the gparted gui window
sorry for the long post i wanted to be as detailed as possible any help would be appreciated I really need this Data back

I recently came across an empty MBLD. I have a spare drive that I was hoping to pop into the NAS and start using it. If it works no problem I was going to purchase two new larger identical drives to put in it. I’ve been following Guide 2 so far to setup the new drive. I can get to the dashboard in my browser now.

The dashboard says:

Data volume failed to mount
The data volume on the drive is not accessible. Please contact customer service.

I’ve enabled SSH and tried to follow that section of Guide 2. This is where I’ve hit a wall. I try to run this command:

MyBookLiveDuo:~# mkswap /dev/md2
/dev/md2: No such file or directory

At this point Guide 2 says:

If this command complains that /dev/md2 is missing you will need to create the array manually through SSH

I run the command it says to run:

MyBookLiveDuo:~# mdadm --create -e 0 --verbose /dev/md2 --level=raid1 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sda3 /dev/sdb3 reboot
mdadm: You have listed more devices (3) than are in the array(2)!

I’m guessing I’m getting that error because I only have one drive inside the MBLD? Is there any way to set it up with just one drive? Any help would be appreciated. I’d love to make sure the NAS works perfectly before I go and purchase new drives for it.

Thanks!

I dug up another WD drive to put inside to test out if it has to have two drives in order for the SSH commands to work. Completed the System Rescue CD steps on the second drive. Plugged it into the MBLD, did a quick factory reset, Status: Good! I didn’t have to do those SSH commands. Going to put it through its paces but it appears to be working now!

Hi

i had a WD mybook Live Duo with a blinking green LED and it obtained an IP address but i could no longer access the web GUI or SSH so i followed the guide to debrick it (method 1)

all went well but the data in the shares was corrupt so i did a factory reset and it is now working fine again, the data was backed up using safepoints in the past (it only contains redundant data anyway) and i will restore the data from the safepoints

thanks so much for providing these steps as WD support were pretty useless (basically claiming i was doing something stupid which caused me to not being able to access the webgui)

thanks again

Hello,

After reboot I’ve got a white light and lost access to MBLD via samba, web and putty.
I use it as one 8Tb disk, not mirror.
I tried to debrick it with Guide 1 and it said “device should be debricked!”
But nothing has changed, white light and no access.
And there was such thing - no file system shown for a large partition (picture), I’m doubt it’s normal.

Could you please suggest something?

PS.
I’ve just found in this topic that no file system in my case is OK.
Then what could I try to do to keep my data and make MBLD to work?

Hello mcmpr,

Did you make debrick or something else for Disk B before it?

I can’t repeat it.

I made debrick for Disk A and booted with it. The light became red.
Then I inserted Disk B.
MBLD saw it, for both disks it said Good, but light still red and mode unknown.
I have waited for some time, then rebooted.

And - nothing. No boot, no access, light is white/yellow/green.

Did you make Factory reset at some point?

I can’t even past the step.1

mkdir /mnt/usb
mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usb
cd /mnt/usb
mdadm -S /dev/md0
mdadm -S /dev/md2
mdadm -S /dev/md3
./debrick.sh rootfs.img /dev/sda

error comes out like this:
mdadm: cannot open /dev/md2: No such file or directory
mdadm: cannot open /dev/md3: No such file or directory

any idea anyone?

Thank you verry much… I tought my NAS was dead after i installed a linux update by SSH… After using your guide my system is available again in my network… Thanks…

[SOLVED] Fantastic Thanks Guys. Worked a treat. Great instruction. Its a pity WD dont formalize the instructions and create a restoration/debrick kit.

To anyone who has the same problem.
If the volume of your data is more than size of one disc, you have to debrick Disk B as well

Hello everyone

Thank you for this guide. I have just started to follow the steps of the Guide 1, however I have found some unexpected troubles:

• I have cloned one of the disks included in MBLD, however the other one is not recognized by the SATA docking. What should I do? Is there a way to make it recognizable so that I can clone it? The disk is also silent whenever I try to run it.
  • When I progress with the rest of the steps, should I use the original disks of the cloned ones?

I know these seem very basic questions, but I hope anyone can help me… thanks in advance!

Guide 1 works fine for me.
Thank you all.

for mdadm: super0.90 cannot open /dev/sdb3reboot: No such file or directory
and
mdadm: You have listed more devices (9) than are in the array(8)!
remove > reboot
-create -e 0 --verbose /dev/md2 --level=raid1 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sda3 /dev/sdb3
Also my MBLD was raid 0 so rebild to 1 after restart or use other command. --level

Hi,
Many Thanks for your guides! Its very helpful for me. I’ve just recovered my MBLD 4Tb after firmware update failure. Great work! Thanks!

I have RAID0 and using GUIDE 1. Like described, I can’t recovery data from disks using DISKINTERNALS tools. But debricking really working.

P.S. Sorry for my english

Thanks for this wonderful guide :slight_smile:

I currently own a MyBookLive Duo 6TB (2x3TB Green Drives). Using this guide, can I remove the green drives and drop 2x8TB’s Red Drives? I want to span for a total of 16TB. Thanks in advance :smile:

Hello everyone. After getting an used Mybook live duo last week, i wanted to format it and use it for my downloads. First of all i updated it to the latest firmware, and when it was done i wanted to use both disks for larger capacity and so i converted them to the spanning mode, which went ok. but after a reboot the capacity shown was only of one drive, so i pressed the convert button again and rebooted. And after that the light was yellow and i couldn’t access the drive anymore so i followed the guide #2 and done it successfully and now i can access the dashboard and ssh but the light is still red upon boot,and it shows the error “Data volume failed to mount”, and also cannot update the firmware because it says “31102 - Device does not have enough space for upgrade” and could not find anything helpful or someone with my predicament.
So is there anything more to be checked or done? or just to salvage the disks and use them and throw away the mybook? (the disks are in good shape reported by the software)
thank you in advance!

Hi all, I have an MBLD which I think was bricked due to multiple power failures and was showing a solid yellow/white light and the network port was not accessible.
I have followed the procedure outlined above and found one of the disks had errors so failed the debrick process using the destroy option.
I bought a new WD 2TB disk and as this was formatted with FAT I had to run the process a couple of times so both disks have now passed the process.
When I reinstall them in the MBLD I eventually now get the red indicator. Upon reading the posts I am supposed to SSH into the unit.
As the original data has been destroyed does anyone know what IP address the unit will default to?
It won’t be the original setting as that has now been destroyed.
Thanks

UPDATE: sorted the problem now. was connected directly to the PC and using DHCP software. Connected to the router and it was then assigned an address. It is rebuilding now…