[GUIDE] Debrick a completely dead MyCloud

If Linux can access the 3tb drive then one can create the necessary partition structure on it. The Fox_exe directions I previously posted include the steps to create the partitions. When using Linux make sure to be in root user mode when issuing the various unbrick commands.

in linux it finds the disk but for example gparted when it tells it to create partition table it gets an I / O error message. Following Foxā€™s steps it wonā€™t let me create the partitions because the unit doesnā€™t have a format of any kind, only gparted recognizes it but it wonā€™t let me write anything in it. I think it has failed in the process I did earlier to pass the virgin 3tb image that must be corrupt.

What is the specific error message you are receiving?

Have you tried initializing the disk to GPT or MBR?

I only tried it in Gpt, not in mbr. tomorrow I will try it in mbr but I think it will not let me. in Msdos I tried and also failed.

There are any number of tools, if using Windows, that one can use to try and force format a drive or to find out what is wrong with a drive.

For example on Windows there are tools like the MiniTool Partition Wizard (free) that may offer more options than the built in Windows disk manager:
https://www.minitool.com/partition-manager/partition-wizard-home.html

Thank you bennor.

For first gen MyCloud (Single-drive) need GPT. MBR (msdos) not supported by bootloader.
Partitionā€™s numbers is important too. Size not matter.
Use parted (console) or Gparted (graphical) and Ubuntu or Debian live-cd/usb.

The reaon I suggested using MBR was due to an earlier post where the person indicated they were getting I/O errors using Linux Gparted.

The idea was to just format and partition the drive using any method possible at that point since they were having trouble with the drive.

If I remember right, when they unbrick (using your directions) the Linux Parted program will destroy the MBR partition anyway and set it to GPT. At least I think it did that on several of the drives Iā€™ve put into a first gen over the last couple of years.

So you recommend me to try to create a single partition in Mbr, format it in ntfs and then start all the steps? I think I understood that in mbr you could only partition units up to 2 tb and for more capacity the Gpt was created. is that so?

As previously asked; can you post the exact error message you are receiving when using Linux? Previously up thread you indicated you were getting an I/O error when trying to access the drive using Linux. If you are still getting that error please post the exact working of the error message.

If you are having trouble formatting the drive with Linux, try Windows and if that fails try one of the third party programs, like the one linked to above, for formatting a drive. The whole point is to get the drive into a usable state by the computer. From there one should be able to execute the unbrick directions (that include proper drive setup and partitioning) on the drive.

If one is using Fox_exeā€™s directions and starting from step one of the first gen directions (using the Linux command line interface), it really doesnā€™t matter HOW the drive is formatted or partitioned. During the unbrick steps one is removing the existing partitions anyway, and the directions specifically state to create a new drive table using GPT before creating the partitions (and their size) needed for the My Cloud. The specific portion of the directions are posted as follows, as an example:

1. Use fdisk -l (or parted -l) for see what name have you WD's HDD.
* For me - its /dev/sdb. Replace it to your hdd name!
2. Run parted utility:
parted /dev/sdb

3. Type "print" for see what partitions exist on disk
4. Remove all: Type "remove 1" (where 1 - number of partition)
5. Crete new table:
mklabel gpt
mkpart primary 528M 2576M
mkpart primary 2576M 4624M
mkpart primary 16M 528M
mkpart primary 4828M 100%
mkpart primary 4624M 4724M
mkpart primary 4724M 4824M
mkpart primary 4824M 4826M
mkpart primary 4826M 4828M
set 1 raid on
set 2 raid on

6. Ok, type "quit"

Friend Bennor, thanks to your advice I resuscitated my hard drive with Mini tool partition wizar. With this application I was able to create a GPT partition and a single partition. I have followed all the steps in the FOX-EXE tutorial for unbrick my cloud. I have managed to make all the partitions, format the SDB4 in EXt4 and create the RAID 1 and 2. The problem is that I am stuck in the step of passing the firmware file to the / mnt folder within sdb4. I have that file downloaded to my USB stick and I donā€™t know how to go to that folder or use it from the USB stick. The step is as follows:

1. Download one of arhiveā€™s to / mnt folder:
    v3.04.01-230: https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Gen1/Backups/original_v03.04.01-230.tar.gz
    v4.01.02-417: https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Gen1/Backups/original_v04.01.02-417.tar.gz

2. Extract by console:
    tar xvfz original_v3.04.01-230.tar.gz

These are the Fox-exe instructions that I am following. Can you help me continue with that step? Giving that instruction does not start any type of download. I am using System RescueCD linux with Root access. Sorry for my ignorance but I do not know anything about Linux and I am starting for the first time.
regards

You can try to use the Linux copy command to copy ONE of the downloaded files from the USB drive to the /mnt folder. This assumes one is in the location on the USB drive where the file(s) have been downloaded. The command line command would be something like the following:

cp original_v03.04.01-230.tar.gz /mnt
OR
cp original_v04.01.02-417.tar.gz /mnt

Then one would navigate (cd /mnt) to the MNT directory and execute the unpacking command on the file as the directions indicate.

tar xvfz original_v03.04.01-230.tar.gz
OR
tar xvfz original_v04.01.02-417.tar.gz 

Once the files are extracted from the .tar.gz file one can proceed to the next step in the directions.

On a side note, Iā€™ve generally used a Linux Boot Disc/Flash Drive to boot my PC to Linux and perform the unbrick process using the Linux Terminal (window. Donā€™t know if System RescueCD linux has all the proper modules that one uses during the unbrick process. Ubuntu is one popular Linux Disto with a boot disc/flash drive option.

hi bennor. I managed to copy the firmware file to the / mnt folder. now I am copying with dd each one of the unzipped files in the different partitions. I have a question, I am using the firmw v03.04.01-230. Is it normal that at that point of copying, it takes more than 2 hours for the first file? The process has not finished yet and I find it very strange that it is taking so long.

Tell me if it is normal that in the first process of this block:
dd if = kernel.img of = / dev / sdb5
The 3TB hard drive has been blinking for more than 2 hours and the Linux screen waiting to finish so that I can continue with the next one. I hope your help, thanks

No that is most likely not normal. But then again I donā€™t know what your setup is. Typically (assuming USB 2.0 speeds) the DD of the kernel.img and config.img file should take a few seconds to maybe one or two minutes (if I remember right) at most. For me it was the rootfs.img file that took some time (up to ten minutes or more if I remember right) to be written to the hard drive. This was using a Toshiba Satellite laptop booting from a Ubuntu USB flash drive on USB 2.0, with the My Cloud hard drive connected to a USB 3.0 to SATA dock connected to the laptopā€™s USB 3.0 port.

If you havenā€™t done so already, you may want to find, download, install, and run a program for your computer that will read a hard driveā€™s SMART information to see if there are any problems with the drive.

I think I must have some hard drive problem. I have it connected with a sata to usb 3.0 adapter. It gives me several problems with gparted that takes a long time to display the information and in windows despite using the ext2fds driver I cannot see the content of the partitions. I have also had problems with the instruction:
mdadm --create / dev / md0 --level = 1 --metadata = 0.9 --raid-devices = 2 / dev / sdb1 / dev / sdb2
It gave me the answer that the partitions sdb1 and sdb2 were occupied.
I think one day Iā€™ll get it but this matter is getting too complicated. thanks for your support.

Friend Bennor. I have managed to do all the fox-exe unlocking steps for my cloud 3tb gen 1. I have tried in this case with a 600 Gb disk that according to I read in the forum, it is possible to install. In this case I was able to do all the steps correctly using firmware v03.04.01 but the final result was a flashing yellow light for more than 1 hour until I turned off the equipment. I came back from 0 creating all the partitions step by step and following the instructions until the end but in this case using firmware v04. The result has been the same, yellow light flashing for more than 30 minutes and turn off the equipment. I tried to hold down the reset button for 40 seconds but got the same result. that could be happening? I am very disappointed with this problem. greeting.

As a troubleshooting step try using the original_v04.01.02-417.tar.gz file rather than the v03.x file. If you get a red LED after performing all the steps and powering on the My Cloud, try accessing the My Cloud Dashboard > Settings > Utilities and select the System Only restore button.

Not sure where you are having issues with the directions. Iā€™ve used them numerous times over the years to put different drives in a first gen single bay My Cloud. Currently have a 320GB drive in the enclosure. Used the original_v04.01.02-417.tar.gz file during the unbrick process.

I used this guide to upgrade my WD My Cloud from 3 TB WD RED HDD to 6 TB Seagate IronWolf Pro

So I did next:

1. Downloaded 3 TB image (it is nice working image by the way)
  2. Created Gparted Live USB
  3. Wrote recorvery img to my new HDD using this guide (It took about 3 hours)
  4. Extended EXT4 partition up to 6 TB using same Gparted Live USB (thorugh graphical interface that calls resize2fs command)

hello again Bennor. finally buy a second hand unit of 1st. gen, 4Tb capacity. I would like to take the opportunity to make an image copy of your main partitions except partition 4 and clone that image on my failed drive. later it would create partition 4 with the rest of the spare capacity. Would it be possible to be successful? With which windows program could I make a correct image of the partitions? thanks for the help again.

There are any number of free and paid programs that will clone one drive to another. Clonezilla is one such free program.

Normally what one does, if the new hard drive is larger than the old, is after cloning, use a disk management program to expand the sda4 partition (the data partition). For example, one can use the Linux program Gparted to expand a Linux partition.