[GUIDE] Debrick a completely dead MyCloud

your wd device will be /dev/sdc1 or sdd something like that. type sudo fdisk -l to list drives. also your USB is /media/somethiing really long. Just type mount -t /mnt /media/* then cd /mnt ; cd /shares ;cd Public now you should be in /dev/sda4 aka the storage of the device…

Hi guys,

I’m going to attempt this process with a 3TB drive. I noted in the thread there were several instances of the 3TB image not working. Does anyone know if this is still the case? I can see that the link is still live, so I’d like to confirm that the 3 TB image will work before proceeding.

Cheers,
Lee

You dont need to use the image, just follow instructions for adding new hdd.

Hello, can I use this unbrick tutorial for My Cloud Gen 1 (BCTL)?

I tried already by after performing all steps from tutorial my device not boot correctly. Solid red ligth is displayed all the time. I tried also Debrick with Fox_exe’s [guide], but also unsuccessfully - GitHub - xyliu/wd_mycloud

Where can I find logs which can help me to find the error cause?

On a first gen (P/N "-00) My Cloud if you perform all the steps correctly and get a solid red front LED after booting up the device. Try to access the My Cloud Dashboard. If you can access the Dashboard, then try performing a “System Only” restore via the Dashboard > Settings > Utilities > System Factory Restore section.

I also followed @Fox_exe’s method, but I did not format the HDD as I use MyCloud as for backups (that I actually need).

However, after a reboot the drive also gets stuck when I try to upload the original firmware file. I don’t even get 0 percent.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to how to recover the firmware without having to format the drive?

Use a different browser, Internet Explorer worked when Chrome wouldnt…You can use the latest firmware. Just flash /dev/md0 you should be ok…

1 Like

@brannonb I tried several Browsers (Safari, Opera, Chrome on MacOS and also Internet Explorer/Edge from within a VM) but I couldn’t succeed.

Can you link me to or explain as to how I can flash /dev/md0? I’m kind of clueless here

https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/

There you go

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. However, like I said, I followed foxes method, in the meantime I even repartitioned the drive… and still: I can’t upload the Original firmware via the webgui. I tried several browsers and firmware versions (bins and zips)…

I read a lot of people experiencing the same issue (0 Percent, not uploading, etc.), I wonder if they all eventually gave up and threw the mycloud out or if there’s another way to push the firmware onto the device?

Few suggestions, disable any browser addon’s or extensions. Could be one or more of them is interfering with the upload process. Disable any security software on the computer as a troubleshooting step.

Try using another computer or Lnux PC or Linux OS if possible.

1 Like

Just to make sure it’s not some software on my Macbook blocking stuff, I fired up a Live-Version of Ubuntu, set it up, same issue… :confused:

There’s gotta be a different way of doing this…!

This is where I’m stuck. BTW: I just renamed the file to “Firmware.bin” just to make sure it’s not a bug with underscores etc. That being said, it’s not working with the original file name either

UPDATE I erased the HDD before repartioning it, like Fox_exe proposed. This command did the trick:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M count=10000

Ok this is how I just resolve the same issue, I put a blank disk in bay 1, powered it down, got a pin held the reset button in while plugging the device in, wait 40 secs, let go, now goto the dashboard and flash your firmware.

Hi. I have my 3tb cloud dead. I have read a lot in these forums. I always have the same question. Do I have to completely format the hard drive or do I leave the partitions as they are now? I already have the value files backed up to another disk. Would it be better to format all partitions one by one and leave them with the default capacity or delete all partitions and leave the disk blank with a single 3tb partition? I await your help. Thank you.

It comes down to which method you use to unbrick a single bay/single drive My Cloud. And which generation of My Cloud you are unbricking. It also depends on if you are putting a new hard drive into the single bay enclosure.

For example if one follows user Fox_Exe’s method for unbricking, there are steps to create the partitions and then format a few of them.

One could try to just write (DD in Linux) the various img files to their respective partitions assuming one is using an already correctly partitioned and formatted existing single bay My Cloud drive and see if the device will boot. But in many cases it’s best to follow the directions, which may include deleting the existing partitions and recreating them, then writing the various files to them as indicated by the directions.

Generally the single bay/single drive My Cloud hard drives are partitioned in a specific way (values) and have a number of different partitions, one of which is the user partition. Most times if one follows the direction they will erase any existing partitions on the drive.

Thanks for answering. yes, my cloud is single bay and Gen 1. my purpose was to format each of the partitions and then follow the steps of installing a blank 3tb drive image. How is the dd function you mean? you know the link of those instructions ?? Thank you.

DD is generally a Linux command. Because the My Cloud hard drive operating system is a form of Linux, various unbrick directions, including the one in the very first post of this thread, use Linux to create the partitions, format the data partition, and copy the IMG files to the relevent partitions. Generally not all partitions need to be formatted, usually its just the data partition on the first gen that needs to formatted.

If one doesn’t want to use the unbrick methods detailed in this current thread, one can use various other methods.

The following directions are from user Fox_exe and many have used them to restore the My Cloud OS to a existing or new hard drive. Because there are two different single bay My Cloud versions the unbrick method is different for each. You cannot restore a first gen v3.x/v4.x My Cloud to use the newer second gen v2.x firmware. Check the P/N number on the bottom of the single bay/single drive My Cloud enclosure. P/N that ends with “-10” is a second gen v2.x firmware single bay My Cloud. A P/N that ends with “-00” is a first gen v3.x/v4.x firmware single bay My Cloud.

The main Fox_exe repositories for multiple My Cloud models can be found here:
https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/

First gen directions:
English: https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Gen1/Replace%20HDD%20-%20English.txt
Russian: https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Gen1/Replace%20HDD.txt
The img files needed for the first gen Fox directions can be found in the WDMyCloud-Gen1/Backups folder in the main Fox_exe respoitory link above.

Second gen directions:
English: https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Gen2/_Unbricking_en.txt
Russian: https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Gen2/_Unbricking_ru.txt
Various files used in the second gen Fox_exe unbrick directions can be found in the WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Gen2 repository.

As I told you yesterday, my cloud is 3tb gen1. I have followed the steps in this tutorial: [GUIDE] How To Unbrick your 2TB/3TB/4TB My Cloud and I had a serious problem. As I mentioned, I kept the original partitions on my disk although I could not access the cloud due to a power cut. use the 3tb disk copy that corresponds to mine. I downloaded that blank disk copy from the link there. I followed all the steps but once the whole process was finished I went to Gparted to see how everything had turned out and my surprise is that all the partitions had disappeared and I had a blank disk without a partition table and now it lets me create the partition table again . Would the disk be corrupt or would it have been damaged when doing the process?

Reboot the computer you are using to view the contents (using Gparted) of the My Cloud drive. If after reboot Gparted is still showing an empty drive then it would appear you did something wrong during the unbricking process using the directions you linked to.

If I understand that process in that thread it would appear its trying to write the img file; partitions, formats, and file data to the corresponding partitions of the My Cloud hard drive. As such if there is a problem with the process it could result in the process aborting or completing but with disc errors.

Reading through that : [GUIDE] How To Unbrick your 2TB/3TB/4TB My Cloud thread it would appear a great many had problems of one sort or another when trying to unbrick their My Cloud using the files linked to in that thread and the directions used in that thread.

Personally I’ve had issues in the past using the various methods to unbrick mentioned in this subforum. Most all have fail for me due to one cause or another. I’ve had good luck with the Fox_Exe directions posted above to unbrick a number of drives for my first gen v4.x single bay My Cloud. However its easy to make an error, usually I end up running the unbrick process two or three times before it works properly. But as with any unbrick direction one has to be careful on ensuring they are working with the right hard drive (/dev/sdx) and writing the files to that hard drive. Its why I usually remove all other hard drive other than the My Cloud hard drive from my system and use a Linux Boot Disc/Boot USB Flash Drive to boot and perform the unbrick process.

Dear Friend. the 3tb drive image may be corrupted because the result was a disaster. You spent quite a while doing the process of copying the image to disk with the correct instructions but it didn’t work. now I have a 3tb disk of footprint because there is no way to re-create a partition table on it, neither on linux nor on windows. I only have the option to buy a new second hand equipment and pray that it does not break down again with a blackout. thanks for your wise advice but i can’t retry the process with this hard drive anymore.