[GUIDE] Debrick a completely dead MyCloud

Ah, one is never too old to learn. Thanks for that, djh816. :slight_smile:
What do you say, shouldnt it be possible to convert my image using a call similar to?

xz -dc wd-my-cloud-6tb.img.xz | dd conv=sparse | xz -zc > new-image.img.xz

That should only take time ( a lot ), but not much disk space. What’s your opinion?
If you think that will work, I can do that an re-upload a new image.

Yeah should work great as you mention. I may convert to .img.7z for sake of consistency but I worry about mirroring an image I can’t test :stuck_out_tongue: Anyways thanks for the source image. If nothing else they can follow instructions in your post :slight_smile:

Alright, the operation is running. I hope I can post a new image sometime next week.

EDIT: I’m sorry, djh816. The conversion didnt go as expected. I still get an image thats 6TB big (uncompressed).
I also tried xz -dc wd-my-cloud-6tb.img.xz | dd conv=sparse | cp --sparse=always /dev/stdin sparse.img but to no avail.

Granted, I didnt bother to zero-fill the filesystem of the (brand-new) hdd before taking the image. But I dont think thats the reason (brand-new hdd). Otherwise, xz wouldnt be able to compress so well.
Another reason I might think of, is that I choose a rather big block-size (32M or 64M, I cant remember) when I created the original image.

Hi guys,
I have a problem at point #9: Unfortunately, I can’t copy the image file from the usb stick because Linux doesn’t see any file on the stick.
I copied the image via OS X Finder on an exfat formatted stick and can see it there as well. The file is definitely on the stick but Linux just can’t see (and copy) it. I also tried to copy it with another NTFS stick, but Linux doesn’t see the file there, too. If I try to get an overview from all files on the stick with “ls -a”, I can’t see any files as well. Surprisingly, I can see folders perfectly but no files :frowning:
Does anyone have a solution for this problem?
Thanks a lot!

Are you mounting the usb from command line under linux? Does that succeed? You could also try formatting the stick with Disk Utility on mac and using mbr partition scheme.

Hi,

I tried to follow this instruction with the 2TB Image and a 4TB HDD, but unfortunately I had to skip #14 and 15 because I didn’t received an error. After typing in unit s + p, I only got an overview about 2 existing sectors (not 4 as it’s written here). Furthermore, the start sector of the last partition (which was 2 in my case) was 77056s.

I continued with step 16 (but didn’t got a warning again) and finished the instruction, but currently I only get a permanent white LED and can’t connect with the software.
Do you have an idea what I’m doing wrong or another solution?

Thanks and best regards!

Hi Djh816,

Your method worked for me to debrick 2 TB version. Thanks a ton.

Hi, I need some help.

I bricked my 6tb wd mycloud, blinking red light.
I already tried different solutions, and I found the restore the img file the simpler (even because the other ones lead to dead links on necessary files).

Anyway I downloaded the 6tb image file from this thread (thank you), I used the gparted disk to have a working linux and completely cleaned the hd (5.16tb of unallocated space). I then restored the img file obtaining the partitioned hd. Put it back with the piece of board and still red blinking light.
I have also cleaned and recreated the ext4 partition, same result. I used the 2tb,3tb image file, both with enlarging or not the partition with the same result. I begin to think that for some reason my nas is different, maybe it needs a different firmware. I’m not an expert but I can run linux normally so I don’t know. The hd is perfectly working. I f***ed up the nas playing with ssh. My last resource will be to buy a synology enclosure in order to use the big hd.

Thank you in advance for the replies and excuse me for my bad english.

There are two generations of MyCloud, and yes, they have different hardware and firmware, and they are not compatible.

Gen1 runs v3/v4 firmware. Serial numbers end in -00
Gen2 runs v2 firmware. Serial numbers end in -10. It was introduced about 21 months ago.

You need the right image and unbricking instructions.

Thank you, I’ll check it out when I’ll be home. For what I can presume, I’ve the last one (nothing works…) so I can only wait that someone shares the relative image file because there isn’t a repository. My bad.

Edit:

I found this working-life saving guide:

http://anionix.ddns.net/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Gen2

Thanks Russia/Soviet Union !

WD MyCloud is back !

@Tormie did the @Fox_exe method worked for you? I don’t know why I get stocked in the “uploading firmware” process. Gets stocked at 0%. Changes nothing after 4 attempts.

Does anybody have an image that works for the 2TB MyCloud Gen2?

I used the method in the link of my last post, on the russian site. It worked perfectly.

It didn’t work for me. I keep getting the same result. The “closest” I get to have the Cloud back is what is shown in this image.

I’m very open to ideas haha. And if you happen to have a virgin image of the device we both own would be much appreciated.

Thank you so much @Tormie

— Edit

You could see more details in this post: Clean OS (Debian), OpenMediaVault and other "firmwares"

Hallo, thanks a lot, but I could do it with a new HD, also if the old one is broken?

gianki

I think it’s not the serial number but the part number the one that ends up in -00 or -10.

Great tutorial. You saved my day as well. Thanks!

anyone tried this 2 tB img build to recover Mirrot gen2 ?

Hi Djh816, Thanks for the great instructions! I’m not as Linux savvy as most here, I’m using a boot CD of Gparted live on a HP desktop and the 3TB image is on a ExFat flash drive. I’m stuck on step 7, I get either not allowed, no such directory or only root can do that. any more details you can provide? my WD drive is device SDA/SDA1/SDA4 ? and my USB is SDB/SDB1. Please help. Thanks

Hm, you could try making the dir in /tmp instead. Basically to mount the usb device under linux you will first need to make a directory somewhere writable, and then use the mount command to mount the USB device there. Thanks for the feedback :slight_smile: Awesome that people can still get some use from this old tutorial