[GUIDE] Connect Android device via USB as mass storage

If you try to connect an Android device (phone, tablet…) in mass storage mode directly to the USB port of My Cloud (say if you want to copy your photos directly from the phone there or wish to move some multimedia files) you will find it won’t be recognized. This is because by default the My Cloud does not provide support for MTP file handling.

To make it possible you must install mtpfs and mtp-tools packages from Debian SID (unstable) repository.

This will likely work as well with iOS (Apple) and Windows Mobile devices But I have not tested it with those.

These instructions were applied and proved functional with WD firmware v03.04.01-230 on a WD My Cloud 3TB and Debian repositories as of 16/07/2014. Functionality  was tested with a HTC Desire running Android 4.4.

WARNING

Western Digital warns about this sort of procedure possibly voiding the warranty. So think twice if you really want to try this.

In any case be extremely careful while modifying system files. If you change stuff you should not you may render your device unusable altogether.

Do not touch/edit/change anything unnecessary just out of curiosity or for the sake of it!

If you feel uncomfortable with Linux or by using the command line likely it's better you leave as it is. You can always perform the same task by connecting the mobile device to your computer. This is only needed to connect the device directly to the USB port of your My Cloud.

STEP 0 - The below presupposes (prerequisites to be filled, all must match):

1. You have SSH enabled in My Cloud.
  2. You have an SSH client installed in your PC (Windows users will find  Putty handy).
  3. You know the local IP address of My Cloud so you can connect to it via SSH.
  4. Your My Cloud has access to the Internet.
  5. Your My Cloud is running a firmware version prior to release 4.00.00-607.

STEP 1 - Backup your sources.list:

cp /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.bak

STEP 2 - Add Debian SID (unstable) repository to source list:

echo deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ sid main >> /etc/apt/sources.list

STEP 3 - Update the sid packages list (be patient as it may take a while):

apt-get update

STEP 5 - Install mtpfs and mtpfs-tools packages

apt-get install mtpfs mtp-tools

STEP 6 - Move back your original sources.list:

mv -f /etc/apt/sources.list.bak /etc/apt/sources.list

STEP 7 -  Reboot your My Cloud:

reboot

Note: I found the reboot step to be necessary. Without it WD Control panel was showing the device with a recognized size of 0KB. 

NOTICE

It is not necessary to change anything else (e.g. create mountpoints or issue manual mount commands…). Once mtpfs support is installed WD automounter will handle it properly.

Mounts are automatically created. The phone mount points (typically one for the internal memory and one for the SD Card) will be available via NFS and will appear as something like:

/dev/sdb1  /var/media/SDDATA
/dev/sdb1  /nfs/SDDATA
/dev/sdb2  /var/media/Android_Phone
/dev/sdb2  /nfs/Android_Phone

Screen Shot

1 Like

Hello,

Thank you for sharing this information. Hope it helps other user. And thank you for posting the warning that says that this procedure might void the warranty.