[GUIDE] Ajenti - Remote Server Administration

Ajenti is a pretty advanced Remote Administration tool.

If you don’t know what your doing, leave this thread now!

This type of modification is done at your own risk and will void the warranty of the drive

Pretty basic install and runs ok on the MyCloud minus some Ajenti plugin errors when the Dashboard loads

What is Ajenti http://ajenti.org/

Ajenti includes dozens of pre-made plugins that let you configure both your OS and server software. List of supported software includes Apache, BIND9, Cron, CTDB, DHCPD, NFSD, Iptables, Munin, MySQL, Netatalk, NGINX, PostgreSQL, Samba, lm-sensors, Squid 3, Supervisor.

Fast and responsive interface, low memory footprint and handy tools like file manager, terminal and code editor - everything a happy sysadmin needs.

On with the install which is mostly a copy and paste from the Ajenti website

Download the Ajenti key

wget http://repo.ajenti.org/debian/key -O- | apt-key add -

Backup your sources.list file

cp /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.bak

Add the Ajenti repo

echo "deb http://repo.ajenti.org/debian main main debian" >> /etc/apt/sources.list

Install Ajenti (When asked if you want to continue type y and hit enter

apt-get update && apt-get install ajenti

Restart Ajenti

service ajenti restart

Move back your original sources.list

mv -f /etc/apt/sources.list.bak /etc/apt/sources.list

You can now log into Ajenti using a secure https connection…Your browser may ask you to add an exception

https:// your MyCloud IP or Network Name :8000

Username: root

Password: admin

When the dashboard first loads you will be presented with this error message, just click the continue button and all is well

[Errno 2] No such file or directory
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/ajenti/plugins/main/main.py", line 251, in init
    cat = cls.new(self.ui)
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/ajenti/api/ __init__.py", line 88, in new
    return context.instantiate(cls, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/ajenti/plugins/ __init__.py", line 177, in instantiate
    init(instance)
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/ajenti/plugins/samba/main.py", line 58, in init
    self.monitor = SambaMonitor()
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/ajenti/plugins/samba/status.py", line 7, in __init__
    self.refresh()
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/ajenti/plugins/samba/status.py", line 12, in refresh
    ll = subprocess.check_output(['smbstatus', '-p']).splitlines()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 537, in check_output
    process = Popen(stdout=PIPE, *popenargs, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/ajenti/compat.py", line 25, in Popen
    *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 679, in __init__
    errread, errwrite)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 1259, in _execute_child
    raise child_exception
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

If you get connection lost errors while loading a few of the pages, don’t worry the page is still loading

REMOVAL (This was a pain as there were no clear instructions but this will get it done)

apt-get autoremove ajenti

rm -rf /etc/ajenti

rm -rf /var/lib/ajenti

dpkg --purge ajenti

apt-get clean

Ajenti is now removed from your MyCloud

Screenshot

4 Likes

Thanks nfodiz.

Please inform users that this type of modifications are to be done at the users risk and will void the warranty of the drive.

No problem John, I added the warning in bold at the top of the guide

2 Likes

It would sure be great to see this functionality in the next firmware upgrade instead of having to rely on a work-around that “voids the warranty”.  I travel a lot and it’s silly not to be able to access the administrative functions remotely.  I almost bought the Seagate Central instead just for that feature.

“Please inform users that this type of modifications are to be done at the users risk and will void the warranty of the drive.”

I Don’t see anything about this in my warranty card.

i) not purchased from an  authorized distributor or authorized reseller,

(ii) not used in accordance with WD specifications and  instructions,

(iii)  not used for its intended function, or

(iv) stolen from WD,

or that the asserted defect

a) is not present,

b) cannot reasonably be rectified because of damage occurring before WD receives the Product, or

c) is attributable to misuse, improper installation, alteration

That means (for me) it only affects the warranty if it is proven that that modification bricked it. He pretty much knows what he is doing, and if you followed his guide, you just can’t brick it, that means it won’t void the warranty. There is an SSH option, why would they implement SSH and make it such easy to enable when anything you can do is alteration  and voiding warranty.

Or not?

BullZeye wrote:

“Please inform users that this type of modifications are to be done at the users risk and will void the warranty of the drive.”

I Don’t see anything about this in my warranty card.

i) not purchased from an  authorized distributor or authorized reseller,

(ii) not used in accordance with WD specifications and  instructions,

(iii)  not used for its intended function, or

(iv) stolen from WD,

or that the asserted defect

a) is not present,

b) cannot reasonably be rectified because of damage occurring before WD receives the Product, or

That means (for me) it only affects the warranty if it is proven that that modification bricked it. He pretty much knows what he is doing, and if you followed his guide, you just can’t brick it, that means it won’t void the warranty. There is an SSH option, why would they implement SSH and make it such easy to enable when anything you can do is alteration  and voiding warranty.

Or not?

I put it big because apparently, that word was not clear enough. Separated by comas it means alteration itself, not alteration n conjuction with improper alternations from improper installation.

This has been the same since the early days of the MBW and SSH.

Thank you for this Guide. I am not a network administrator, I installed putty and then followed your instructions and it worked like a charm, even from my Android Note 2 tablet.  

Can I add shares and users remotely?

I remotely logged into Ajenti and from the file manager I went to /shares and added a new folder where my other shares are and gave them the same attributes, i.e., Owner: bob, Group: share others RWX. I also tried using Owner: root. It creates the folders, but they are not visible from the MyCloud app or the MyCloud local dashboard.  If I add a sub-folder to an existing share it works fine.

Likewise, I created a new user and gave it the same attributes as my existing user account and again it is not visible my the MyCloud app nor the local dashboard.

Is there a way to access the WD Dashboard after logging into Ajenti? Am I doing something wrong or is there no way to give someone access remotely or create a new share remotely?

Many thanks!