GUI dead, SSH access denied, some data deleted

my MybookLive recently exhibited these symptoms: -diappearing from bonjour visibility -disconnecting from MacMini -no green light lit :: I had always try to dis/re-connect eth cable or reboot in the end. last days this escalated into big problem when MBL disconnected and when after reboot it reconnected, my Shared Videos in Public folder were gone. All other folders in Public were in their places with (probably all) files that were previously there. I tried to SSH in to look around but I have found more problems with these symptoms: -no root access possible (ssl certificate nor password) -GUI - it was possible to log in and set energy saver to off (as I thought it was the reason for disconnecting) first -GUI php problems - later no GUI showed but php errors -GUI dead - this is current state - web server only shows Index of /UI showing no files but Apache/2.2.9 (Debian) PHP/5.2.6-1+lenny9 with Suhosin-Patch Server at 192.168.15.100 Port 80 I’m quite scared. Has it been hacked? What should I do? Should I backup my data and reinstall firmware? How do I do it without GUI? Can I reset root password without loosing data? please advice R

You must backup your data ASAP.  Since GUI is not accessible and you do not have root access with SSH, I do not think it will be possible to reinstall the firmware, you may have your MBL replaced.

1 Like

Definitely I wanted to backup (the rest of) my data and apply warranty/ask for replacement
This of course means purchasing of another network drive.

Nonetheless my trust in WD MBL got shaken. I wonder if I made it somehow possible by installing ffmpeg, curl and mc but I doubt it. These are not services opening vulnerable ports… What in the world could wipe out my videos, gui files on web server and steal root access both by pass and cert…