Guest v Registered User?

Old topic but maybe interesting for user who are looking for an solution like I did. It also bothered me, to use the TimeMachine folder in public mode. I am connected to the MyCloud EX2 Ultra (OS5) via smb on my iPhone, just because I don’t want to use mycloud.com. I have my own DNS which I want to use. Unfortunately the iPhone/All apple products show all folders. So everyone who has access to the local network (I also share some folders with my family and friends) can also access the TimeMachine folder. This is a no-go for me (clumsy family member could delete something) and just ■■■■■ that WD didn’t allow this function naturally. Btw the same with the AFP. WD is still using AFP for Apple products and don’t allows to turn this function of.

Anyway, it is possible to use time machine as a registered user. When you’re setting up your Machine, you will find out that MacOS TM is connecting to the MyCloud via AFP. Which also causes a little bit more time to look for the disk. If you go to Finder, Press Command +K or Go, choose Connect to Server. Here you enter the MyCloud static (you have to set the ipv4 static) IP adress of your MyCloud, i.e. afp://192.168.xxx.xx. When you’re connecting you can login with your user and can choose the TimeMachine Folder. Once it is connected, go to Time Machine settings and choose the connected drive.

Et voila, you’re Time Machine allows Backups now as a registered user and you don’t have to reconnect every time again.

Positive side effect, when you’re connected via AFP, you also can access the TM Folder via Finder.