Guest v Registered User?

Have just got My Cloud Home up and running, and am successfully (it seems) backing up my macbook pro. However, I’m a “Guest”. Does anyone know what is the significance of accessing the server as a Registered User rather than as a Guest? Also, how do you set yourself up as a Registered User?

Have to say, I’ve burnt quite a few hours on this already so any assistance will be very greatly appreciated.

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=20358&s=

1 Like

Its not about the Time Machine Backup, I just want to browse my folder in My Share Folder in Finder (mac). How to get / register username (not email) and password in My Cloud Home?

I’ve been looking for an answer to this question and this is the 4th post I’ve come across with absolutely no answer. WD, is this something the device is capable of or not? I’m very close to just returning this device because it’s been really frustrating to use. How am I suppose to manage my files if I can’t navigate to them? How do people sign in as a registered user? You guys have to make this simple.

1 Like

This is frustrating me as well. How is this not intuitive. So far the only password I’ve set up for MyCloud is not working, with no clear path for setting up a new password to be a registered user.

Thanks for posting this link. This is exactly what I was looking for as I was having the same issue with using Time Machine on my Mac mini.

I actually don’t think you should be bothered by this(maybe sometimes I was), as a client connected to Home Cloud, there is no way a client can register himself unless the server defines the process. I think it can be done as WD uses a Linux system to run the product, but they just merely open the IPC$ share which is the default file sharing function, and there should be no difference with registered users on w/r except all lan users can access.

Old topic but maybe interesting for user who are looking for an solution like I did. It also bothered me, to use the TimeMachine folder in public mode. I am connected to the MyCloud EX2 Ultra (OS5) via smb on my iPhone, just because I don’t want to use mycloud.com. I have my own DNS which I want to use. Unfortunately the iPhone/All apple products show all folders. So everyone who has access to the local network (I also share some folders with my family and friends) can also access the TimeMachine folder. This is a no-go for me (clumsy family member could delete something) and just ■■■■■ that WD didn’t allow this function naturally. Btw the same with the AFP. WD is still using AFP for Apple products and don’t allows to turn this function of.

Anyway, it is possible to use time machine as a registered user. When you’re setting up your Machine, you will find out that MacOS TM is connecting to the MyCloud via AFP. Which also causes a little bit more time to look for the disk. If you go to Finder, Press Command +K or Go, choose Connect to Server. Here you enter the MyCloud static (you have to set the ipv4 static) IP adress of your MyCloud, i.e. afp://192.168.xxx.xx. When you’re connecting you can login with your user and can choose the TimeMachine Folder. Once it is connected, go to Time Machine settings and choose the connected drive.

Et voila, you’re Time Machine allows Backups now as a registered user and you don’t have to reconnect every time again.

Positive side effect, when you’re connected via AFP, you also can access the TM Folder via Finder.