GSpeed 12 TB fan running when disconnected? How to clean?

GSpeed Studio R 12 TB used with imac 27". When I disconnect thunderbolt from computer, the drive shuts down, but it sounds like something is still running all the time. Is this a fan? Is one of the drives spinning? It is not powered down, plugged in AC, but disconnected by thunderbolt cable from computer and still makes a very quiet noise. What is this?

Also I need to clean this thing out. There is dust on all the vents. Do I remove the drives and vacuum out or just vacuum the dust out of the vents. It keeps overheating and I think dust is the culprit.

The power supply on the G-Speed enclosure will always run unless the power cord is removed.

You can pull the drives, just make sure you put them back in the same place they were pulled from and you can use canned air to blow out dust. Vacuums are bad as are compressors.

[quote=“Rydia, post:2, topic:227410, full:true”]
The power supply on the G-Speed enclosure will always run unless the power cord is removed.

Should I be removing the power cord all the time then? I would think the power supply running all the time like it has for the past two years would just make it wear out faster.

You can pull the drives, just make sure you put them back in the same place they were pulled from and you can use canned air to blow out dust. Vacuums are bad as are compressors.

Why is vacuuming bad? Isn’t that just air blowing in reverse? I clean the inside of my mac tower with a vacuum a couple times per year.

Also, I use a small USB powered fan on top of the unit now, blowing down into the vent holes in the drives. It has really kept the temperature down. Do you see any problem with that. The thing has always ran hot in my setting.

An external fan helping cool is not a bad idea. If it has succeeded then it is a good thing for your work environment.

Should I be removing the power cord when not shut down to save wear and tear on it? I would think the power supply running all the time like it has for the past two years would just make it wear out faster.

Also why is vacuuming bad? Isn’t that just air blowing in reverse? I clean the inside of my mac tower with a vacuum a couple times per year. Never had problems. I wouldn’t think there are too many loose parts or connections inside of this drive system.

The unit is designed for 24/7 usage so the wear is negligible. Also: vacuuming creates a large static build up that could discharge into the electronics inside the G-Speed enclosure. There are special vacuums that are designed for electronics but most standard ones aren’t setup to be safe in that regard.

There are special vacuums that are designed for electronics but most standard ones aren’t setup to be safe in that regard.

Ahh. Thanks so much for sharing that important knowledge! Glad you know your shtuff.

I posted this question in 2018, but I still have not cleaned out my enclosure, so I must ask this again for more detail. I want to clean out the enclosure as everything is covered with thick dust.
Are these the correct steps to the process?

1. Unplug the GSpeed Studio R
  2. Remove each drive noting location for reinstallation.
  3. Clean with compressed air.
  4. Re-insert drives in original locations.
  5. Plug in the GSpeed Studio R.
    Is this correct? If not please inform. Thank you so much.