Great product but

…something important is missing; ability to play files without any pause between them (no matter if audio or video). If finally I’ll decide to purchase a different product it will be only because I need this features for the my classical audio collection and for my AVCHD personal movies.

Does anyone know if this is planned for future firmwares ?

Thanks.

2 Likes

Your post sounds more like an Idea or a Feature Request. The best place for this is in our Ideas Lab. This way someone from WD will be sure to see it. However, I would search first and make sure that there isn’t another idea similar to yours that you could add your post to and vote on.

Ideas Lab
http://community.wdc.com/t5/community/categorypage/category-id/idea

1 Like

Tavy, do you mean: select a file (audio or video), play it and after it ends the next one is automatically played?

If the answer is yes, it is already implemented.

Select a file

Press ok instead of play and it works.

Hope this helps

1 Like

What I want is to play two consecutive audio files without gap. There are a lot of classical pieces or for instance Pink Floyd albums without pause between tracks and it very frustrating to have few secounds of silence between. Similar for the m2ts files from my AVCHD camcorder.

This could be implemented as an optional setting (separate flags for audio/video files) to preload next track from the folder.

Thank you.

Octavian

Tavy64 wrote:

What I want is to play two consecutive audio files without gap. There are a lot of classical pieces or for instance Pink Floyd albums without pause between tracks and it very frustrating to have few secounds of silence between. Similar for the m2ts files from my AVCHD camcorder.

This could be implemented as an optional setting (separate flags for audio/video files) to preload next track from the folder.

Thank you.

Octavian

Its has liitle to do with WDTV and all to do with the way you ripped these tracks. Your Pink Floyd album had track markers without gaps and you have used software which has determined that they in fact seperate tracks. You need to join the files together so that it forms the complete track as you require it.

Software media players like WinAmp have the ability to play back tracks without gaps in between, assuming that no silent padding has been added to them by the ripper.

For audio tracks that are meant to be played seamlessly, and that were ripped without adding any artificial gaps, it seems logical that they should then play back seamlessly with little or no gap between them in a playlist / folder.  Or at least there could be an option to force such playback.

It seems a little excessive to need to stitch audio files together into huge unwieldy files, especially classical music where you might want to listen to specific movements within a piece.  And it’s not like there’s a “Go To” function for skipping to a specific time location.  ;)

1 Like

The real point is that this a HD Media player and was not designed by a committee and therefore cannot be everything to everybody. Winamp is a software player which can evolve easily. WDTV is a hardware player, which means that there are a number of limitations which revolves around the original design brief and projected cost.

@PixelPower - thanks, it is just what I had in mind :wink:

@richUK in my view, as long as you start with the assumption that two consecutive files have identical format (codec, parameters… ), it’s not so difficult to load next track a little bit in advance.

It took Winamp 3 years to finally get gapless playback to sort of work.  iRiver it took a lot longer.

How are you ripping these files? What codec are you using?

If gapless playback is your goal you need to ensure its also done on the frontend.

If I can join a and b files using dos command like “copy /b a+b c” and the c file can be played without any issue (tested with m2ts and mp3 files) I don’t think that this is very hard to implement as long as you really want to do it :wink: I know it is not very easy to implement it in real life but I think this feature is important for a media player.

Tavy64 wrote:

If I can join a and b files using dos command like “copy /b a+b c” and the c file can be played without any issue (tested with m2ts and mp3 files) I don’t think that this is very hard to implement as long as you really want to do it :wink: I know it is not very easy to implement it in real life but I think this feature is important for a media player.

> I have nothing against your wish but you must also realise that there is a huge difference between software and hardware. Given the way that WD work I would advise you not to hold your breath waiting. Have you added it to the ideas board?