GRAID not mounting after reboot mac pro High sierra (thunderbolt)

Hey all,
I recently did a clean install on my mac pro to High Sierra, and while the external thunderbolt GRAID drive works fine, it will not mount on reboot until I shut off power to the drive and bring it back online.

Has anyone else seen this?

To clarify, I have my mac set to shutdown late at night and boot up in the morning, but otherwise, it is NOT set to sleep, hard disks are always awake, & screensaver is disabled.

I am worried that I am doing damage to the drives by powering it off and on - every reboot, and Dropbox is not happy on reboot either(that’s where I keep my DBox location)…

Any help is appreciated!

Is this drive Thunderbolt only or does it have USB as well? If it has USB, try switching to that interface and see if it still happens. (There is no performance decrease in using USB so if it solves the issue just stick with this)

If it is only Thunderbolt than it is a much older G-RAID that has a software RAID, the rebooting part is likely a requirement due to the nature of the RAID on the unit being software and not hardware controlled. You could try fixing it by removing the content and re-creating the RAID new with the built in Disk Utility RAID assistant.

Hi! Yes, it has USB as well, but I traditionally have the best luck with performance through thunderbolt, so I’d prefer to stay in that port if possible. I will test it and get back with you.

Sorry for the delay. I’ve just now had the opportunity to swap the interface. I have done a few reboots with it connected via USB instead of thunderbolt, and so far, it sees the drive with no issue on each reboot.

I’m going to leave it on USB for the day and try a reboot later and see if anything changes.

I’m also curious as to what could have caused the Mac Pro to stop seeing the drive on reboot… Drive problem? OS problem? Should I be concerned at this point?

Possible OS hiccup, but can’t say for sure.

Well, so, it appears that the move to USB did not help. The last few days the drive does not appear on reboot. I have to power it down, unplug the interface a wait a few moments, and plug in and turn it back on – Yesterday I did this and the mac STILL did not detect the drive. #panicattack

After a few reboots of the drive and the OS, it came back online.

I am beginning to be concerned. Are there any firmware updates for this unit or drivers? I can’t seem to find any.

There are no firmware updates and no drivers. If it is constantly an issue with recognition at this point it is best to get a replacement drive.

OK, I need to check the warranty on this unit because I haven’t had it but a year or so.