Gpl firmware

well i tried upgrading the firmware and after 3 hours it realized it froze, tried hitting the reset button on the bottom and now it displays the unofficial firmware warning

whats my next step?

Well, the GPL package is for people wanting to write their own firmware, so your next step is to get writing! :slight_smile:

I don’t think you understand my question.

Is there anyway to escape from the screen where it says

" warning the media player was modified aftermarket and is running unofficial firmware that is not supported by western digital"

hmm why did you download the gpl firmware?

Slick218 wrote:

I don’t think you understand my question.

Is there anyway to escape from the screen where it says

" warning the media player was modified aftermarket and is running unofficial firmware that is not supported by western digital"

No, there’s no way to escape this.   Because if you just loaded the GPL BINARIES that are in that package, there is NO GUI FIRMWARE.    So there’s nothing to “Escape” to.   Your box is, essentially, completely disabled.

The GPL backage only includes the THIRD-PARTY software that is licenced under the GPL license.   These are the things you could go download yourself ala carte if you so chose, but WD compiled them for you.

What is NOT included is all the proprietary software that WD created.   So, without that software, your Hub is useless.

WD should probably put some kind of warning on the GPL page, both about it not being a functioning firmware and also openly mentioning that it may permanently trash your DRM key…

Having said that, the actual Firmware page is clearly linked to, so there’s really no need to download the GPL code at all.

Contact WD tech support via phone in your region, see if you can get an RMA.

In the meantime, you could try putting the official 2.03.24 firmware on a memory stick and see if it’ll update from that?

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdfwdtv_livehub

Might need to edit the VER file if whatever the GPL installed has a higher number.