Google Drive as Backup Target

I just purchased the PR4100 for a variety of reasons, but one was because it specifically said that you could back it up to google drive. I have it all set up all the files on it, but can not figure out how to set google drive as a target for backup. Even this page here says:

“Get the tools and apps for complete control of all your media with WD’s My Cloud OS. Create a media server with Plex. Synchronize content from all your computers with WD Sync. Or even back up your network storage to a supported cloud service like Dropbox, OneDrive or Google Drive.”

I only see amazon, elephant drive, and a dropbox app. How do I get it to back up folders to google drive?

I am probably missing something simple, but appreciate the help.

Thank You.

These are the apps supported by your NAS.

However, there’s a post on the Community that can assist you with that.

Feragui thank you for that information, however that is not really what is advertised. That is a computer backing up a network drive, not the PR4100 backing itself up to google drive as described in the ad. The ad really should read “back up to dropbox” as that is the only service with an app.

mrnice225 is spot-on here. I purchased the PR4100 primarily due to the fact I could backup my files to the NAS, and then have that data synced to Google Drive. This was very clearly advertised on the website, and it is not a feature of the product. Extremely disappointing. The prices for Amazon S3 and Elephant Drive are laughable!

I have e-mailed support and they have escalated the case up. Takes a while for them to get back to anyone. They offered me 25% off any purchase in the WD store, but what they hell do I need now? I just sunk $1K into this enclosure and drives.

If this doesn’t get resolved soon, I think I will CC the FTC for false advertising on my next e-mail to their support team.

I suggest everyone else call or e-mail support as well, get them going on it.

The initial support guy said there is supposed to be a “google drive” app in the apps list.

2 Likes

I heard from support today. Looks like that feature was never turned on, or actually intended for this device. So someone messed up putting it in the marketing materials.

That’s a pretty ridiculous oversight for a product billed as being a “pro” solution. I’m pretty disappointed. I’d be happy if there was SOME sort of reasonable cloud backup for the device (Backblaze, Crashplan, etc.). The pricing for Amazon and Elephant Drive is laughably high.

Thanks for sharing your findings, mrnice225.

Following up on the “dropbox” app. That really doesn’t work either. It only can “sync” one folder, and that doesn’t even work. It gets stuck on files. I spent some time trying to trouble shoot that as well. And it just flat out doesn’t work.

Thanks for the update. I have yet to try the Dropbox app.