Gigabit router, still slow transfer speed

I just set up the NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Gigabit Router (R7000) and connected it to my My Cloud with a CAT5 cable. Still getting transfer speeds between 3mb/s and 4mb/s when I’m on my home network

:frowning:

Is the rest of your network wired and gigabit.

I’ve got one of the Motorola surfboard modems. It’s connected to my router via cat6 cable. I don’t know if this is normal, But I can’t access the My Cloud over my home network if its not connected to the Internet.

Luckyday wrote:
I’ve got one of the Motorola surfboard modems. It’s connected to my router via cat6 cable. I don’t know if this is normal, But I can’t access the My Cloud over my home network if its not connected to the Internet.

Well, I will try to help, even though you did not answer Rich’s two questions, so, I will ask them again:

1.  Is your network totally wired between all the devices you are try to use with the router and the My Cloud. or are you usng wireless for any of it?

2.  I presume your new router is gigabit, so is everything on your network between these devices also gigabit/wired?

Even if you are not gigabit, your speeds should still be better than they are.

Your modem likely has nothing to do with any of this, because all the modem does is connect your router to the internet for purposes of this discussion, although it does have lots to do with the speeds you get to and from the internet. Just because you are connected to the internet doesn’t mean you are USING the internet to access your My Cloud.  It could, if the My Cloud is connecting to something back at WD to manage your My Cloud.  I don’t know this about a My Cloud because I don’t have one.

I do have a gigabit network and USB3 devices connected together, and when I send files to and from my PC and USB3 devices, the speeds are around 30mbps, whereas they are around 9mbps to USB 2 devices. 

If you can check speed between other devices (not including the My Cloud) and things improve, then something is likely going on with the My Cloud that slows things down, not meaning it is “defective” but most likely just not configured right.

When it comes to speed in a home network, not only do we need all the right hardware, but it all has to be set up correctly, and to a new user, this can be difficult to do sometimes.

My advice to you with a new and fast router is to set it up correctly and use it for a while (i.e. run speedtest.net) to get an idea of your speeds to and from the internet.  Know it is working properly before tackling the My Cloud issue.  There are lots of tweaks in a high speed modem, so resist tweaking anything you are not sure of what it does.  Do minimal tweaks to begin with.  Why not set the router back to defaults and start over.  Also, did you download/install  the latest firmware for the router before setting it up?  Most of these router come out of the box with the original firmware, and they are always buggy.  Get the latest one.

I guess I’m a bit confused by the question. The cables certainly won’t be less than a gigabit and I’m not sure what else could be wireless.

The set up:

1. Motorola modem.

coax from wall to modem

ethernet from modem to router

1. Nighthawk router

ethernets in and out

1. My Cloud

That’s it. All computers connect wirelessly via the 5 Ghz signal.

Since I connected via the 5Ghz signal, I can now upload at about 9 megabytes per second or 72 megabits.

Just to be clear, you guys are uploading 30 megabytes per second? Is that right?

Also, you mentioned USB 2.0 and 3.0. I’m talking about completely wireless transfers on the home network via my wifi. Are you saying you plug into the 3.0 port on the back to do your transfers?

And thanks for the replies, I’m trying to get you the info you need.

So you are connecting from computers by wifi and your mycloud is connected via gigabit router. The problem is likely due to the wifi connection. If you connected your computer to the router via wire and if your computer had a gigabit Ethernet port then you would get higher speeds. In short its not total gigabit if you are using wifi.

I’ll try plugging in to the router. The specs of the router say this:

• AC1900 Wi-Fi: 600+1300 Mbps Speed

Here’s the link

So I think that’s fast enough to transfer gigabit speeds wirelessly

Wow. I just plugged in like you said and transfered at 69 megabytes per second.

So I guess there’s no way to increase the wireless speeds? I’ve got the fastest router I’ve seen.

Luckyday wrote:

I guess I’m a bit confused by the question. The cables certainly won’t be less than a gigabit and I’m not sure what else could be wireless.

The set up:

1. Motorola modem.

coax from wall to modem

ethernet from modem to router

1. Nighthawk router

ethernets in and out

1. My Cloud

That’s it. All computers connect wirelessly via the 5 Ghz signal.

Since I connected via the 5Ghz signal, I can now upload at about 9 megabytes per second or 72 megabits.

Just to be clear, you guys are uploading 30 megabytes per second? Is that right?

Also, you mentioned USB 2.0 and 3.0. I’m talking about completely wireless transfers on the home network via my wifi. Are you saying you plug into the 3.0 port on the back to do your transfers?

And thanks for the replies, I’m trying to get you the info you need.

First of all, if you want speed, don’t use wireless…  I just now did a test just for you.  I copied to my PC, a 1GB video file via 5G wireless and also using wired gigabit from a device on the network with a USB3 drive connected to it  The 5G transmitter is right next to the PC, so there are no issues with distance.  The file traveled at 13MB/s via 5G, and 30MB/s via gigabit wired.

To use 5G effectively, one has to have a solid and max signal strength.  The strength of 5G drops off more than a 2.4G signal as distance increases because of its higher frenquency. As distance increases (even by a room or two)  5G bandwidth drops to slower speeds faster than 2.4G.   I would not be surprised if you got as good or better speed at the 2.4G speed.  Heck, let’s test it. . .  OK, now connected to my 2.4G signal, and same file transfers at 7MB/s.

Case closed. Use wired if at all possible.  In my opinion a wireless signal is good for one thing only –  for mobile wireless devices, of course, and if there is not a wired connection for other devices.

And, a USB3 drive needs to be connected to a USB3 device to get the speed increase.  Connected to a USB2 port, and the drive works at that speed.

Finally, when using gigabit speeds, ethernet cables need to be rated 5e, or higher.

if your client has wireless AC then you can make full use of your router.

tnynyn wrote:

if your client has wireless AC then you can make full use of your router.

Well, you can make “better” use, but unless you’re in a Faraday-shielded environment where interference is nonexistent, and have “perfect” RF charactaristics to make full use of the multi-stream capabilities, no one will ever have “full use” of all the marketting BS the marketers put on routers.   :slight_smile:

The folks at PC Magazine could only coax 20 MBps out of their nighthawk, and only 35 MBps out of the fastest combination they ever tested.  :)

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2426297,00.asp

Makes my 30MB/s look pretty good.  BTW, I was not using the 5G from my router.  I have a WD range extender connected to a network switch (connected to the Asus router)  and it is acting as an Access Point and transmitting/receiving a 5G signal.

So, I just tested the 5G from the router, and got the same speed as from the range extender.

Our guy got 69MB/s – weird, and unbelievable…

69MB wired. :slight_smile:

TonyPh12345 wrote:
69MB wired. :slight_smile:

Yep, wired; I got that part, but I get 30MB/s wired, and you said PC Mag barely got 20MB on a Nighthawk like his, and he couldn’t get much of anything until we piped in… am I doing the math right, or should I just have another beer and forget about it!

The PC Mag guys could only get 20 MB wirelessly.   Not to a NAS, just doing general benchmarking of the wireless speeds.

But the OP’s speeds wired to the NAS are on par with what I’ve seen…

Hmmm, maybe we are not comparing apples with apples.  So, here is a screen shot of Windows 7 reporting the download speed as the PC copies the 1GB file from a USB3 drive on the wired network.  This 30MB/s speed is in keeping with what others have previously reported here, and 69MB/s seems high; as if it is measuring something else.

copy speed.JPG

Here’s some tests I did a few weeks ago:

Doing “Small File” copies FROM the Cloud to my desktop:  (Average file around 20-30 megabytes)

Untitled2.png

Larger file from the Cloud to the same desktop:  (Average file is around 100-150 megabytes)

Untitled.png

OK Tony. I have a fast home network, so how come I am “only” getting 30Mbps instead of 81 like you?

Could it be the device I am transferring to/from my PC – a 5400rpm USB3 drive connected to a gigabit Pogoplug Series 4?

Also, what speed do you get when you transfer a large (1GB or more) file?

mike27oct wrote:

Could it be the device I am transferring to/from my PC – a 5400rpm USB3 drive connected to a gigabit Pogoplug Series 4?

Basically, yes.  Your speeds are limited by your Pogoplugs ability to read/write to your USB drive not by your network.

I believe that you are taking Tony’s general statements about network speeds or speeds capable by the My Cloud and trying to compair them to your specific circumstances and device.

Tinwarble wrote:

mike27oct wrote:

Basically, yes.  Your speeds are limited by your Pogoplugs ability to read/write to your USB drive not by your network.

Is this the case, even though my network is gigabit, and my Pogoplug is gigabit and USB3 capable and the drive connected is USB3 type?  So, the limiting factor must be 5400rpm drive, correct?