Gigabit Ethernet Switch, Direct Connection options for MBL

I have over 1.5tb worth of data to transfer to my MBL. From what I have seen so for, it might take days (1.5mb/sec on average) for this process to complete, something I think is absolutely ridiculous.

I dont think my router is gigabit enables, same goes to my wireless adapter. I have been reading incoporating a Gigabit Ethernet Switch will boost speed. How true is this considering the limited capability of my router and adapter.

Secondly, how do you make a wired connection with MBL? (MBL directly to computer) or (MBL to router and Computer to router)… does it actually help speed?

thanks guys

The presense of a switch between the MBL and the PC should not impact performance in any perceptible way, unless the switch is terrible.

If you’re only getting 1.5 megabits per second to your MBL, there’s something SERIOUSLY wrong.

I took the below measurements some time ago, but you can see I’m getting 500x faster speeds than you…

thanks a lot…what speed steroid did you use.

Please advice what could possibly be wrong, Possible Solutions? with or without a switch

Current speed is really worrying.

is your wireless adapter at least N capable?  Is  your computers LAN jack gigabit?  It doesn’t matter what you have in between if your PC is limited from the get go.

I totally missed where you said you were using Wireless.   The above is 100% wired gigabit.

hi cman,

wireless adapter is Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter, router doesnt look to be gigabit.

At this point, any suggestion on solving the issue of extremely slow speed will be so helpful.

• introducing a gigabit switch? how do i make the connection if this is a solution

-Direct connection of MB to computer?

I think youre best bet would be to go ahead and connect it via ethernet and see if your speed changes. You should see a MASSIVE increase in speed, even on a 100mbit connection. You could also try to WINSCP to the box and see what kind of speeds you get there.

I have a gigabit switch, to get gigabit speed for my laptop, do i need to connect my laptop as well as MBL and router (the three items) to my switch?

Yes.

so essentially, I cant get a gigabit speed connection wireless unless I connect laptop directly to gigabit switch?

Correct, wireless is a lot slower than wired, always has and probably will always be, at least in our lifetimes :smiley:

Theoretical speeds are: 

802.11b offered up to 11 megabits per second (Mbps)
802.11a and 802.11g offer up to 54 Mbps
802.11n offers up to 300 Mbps

but actual speeds will vary by network.

See this link:

http://www.speedguide.net/faq_in_q.php?qid=374