Getting started with new passport device - help please!

No luck from support (2 pleas for assistance ignored)  so 24 hours later and a head boggling with forums and on-line manuals, I thought I’d try here. After 3 years of faithful service my PP ext device croaked when it fell 3 feet onto the carpet. Only mentioning to explain that this is my second device so I’m not a novice although it may seem like it when you read on. So:

I plugged it in, Mac recognises the passport drive but no on-screen instructions pop up to help me get started. No manual in the box of course.

I formatted it for Mac.

Tried using my original WD SmartWare - didnt seem to like it. Nowhere does it tell me which software is the correct version or where to find it - I cannot find my model number on the list of Passports under ‘knowledge base’. 

Deleted the old version and loaded a newer version. Version 1.3.4.1. Can only find a manual for 1.6 and 2.0 however. Read on-line that the ‘Back-up’ and ‘Retrieve’ functions don’t appear until the first back-up is complete. 

Not only are they not functioning but WD Smartware doesn’t recognise my Passport. (My laptop’s icon appears but not the PP). Can anyone explain what I’ve done wrong here please?

Passport is busy backing up my files - but it won’t let me view them - apparently I have to nominate a programme to open them with. What would that be please? There are no file duplicates as was the case with my previous passport. Just a blank page saying ‘in progress’ and the file kind is ‘package’ whatever that is. This has been going for over an hour. 3.0? Apaprently not if your USB port is 2.0.  (Nowhere did it state that either).

Can’t actually believe it could be this complicated to get this thing started. What am I missing please?

Already replied to you on this post:

http://community.wd.com/t5/External-Drives-for-Mac/WD-Smartware-does-not-recognise-Passport-external-drive/m-p/579156#M7822

Hi

Try the diagnostic software that WD put in the hard drive, if the unit is working you should be able to find out what is happening.

If you have windows on parallels, you should be able to use the drive diagnostics, if not there are quite a few toolds on the web for looking at the drive.

Sadly a lot of people expect mac’s to work whatever, they are effectively the same as other machines when it comes to maintenance and case

Good luck

chrisfound wrote:

Hi

Try the diagnostic software that WD put in the hard drive, if the unit is working you should be able to find out what is happening.

If you have windows on parallels, you should be able to use the drive diagnostics, if not there are quite a few toolds on the web for looking at the drive.

Sadly a lot of people expect mac’s to work whatever, they are effectively the same as other machines when it comes to maintenance and case

Good luck

Yep, but Apple’s marketing does a fantastic work at brainwashing people into believing Macs are bulletproof and make breakfast for you