General restore

I was messing up a little with the OS installed in it, but now I’d like to turn it back to factory installed OS on it. In web interface, there is an option in System → Restore Configuration → General Restore. Does this option restore the OS and all the settings to factory defaults without erasing all the data in Shares/Download folders? Because I need to keep those files.

Yeah, I know, stupid question for someone, but I don’t want to press that button until I’m completely sure, that it won’t erase my files from there. And one more question, what file do you choose there before you restore it? I mean, using that ‘Choose’ button right above ‘General Restore’ button.

Thanks for any answer or help with this.

Hi there, 

General Restore will restore to a previous saved configuration , no data will be erased . If you have not previously saved any configuration you won’t be able to restore that way. That’s the file you ‘Choose’ in order to get it to that 

specific config.  

In this case you can backup the data and do a Factory Default, this does erase Data but all configurations settings

will change   back to default. 

Hope this helps.

Hi,

thanks for answer, does that mean it only restores settings like allow/disable spindown or LED lights, permissions for users, actualy it only restores the settings not re-install linux from new, because I recon there must a clean copy of linux on one of those partitions, but I’m a noob in this system, so dunno how to restore it if MBWE doesn’t know it without erasing all data on that “data partition”.

Anyway … thanks for reply

esso82 wrote:

but I’m a noob in this system, so dunno how to restore it if MBWE doesn’t know it without erasing all data on that “data partition”.

Anyway … thanks for reply

Well , you won’t be able to restore since you have not created any restore logs, I would not called OS more than the drives are formatted in and specific file system. No reinstalling of OS will occur in neither of the scenarios. 

You can backup all your data and Factory Reset the unit if you want to have the same way it came.

well, you can remove the drive and connect to desktop computer when you have linux on it and download OS distirbution from this website, then install from clean, I just didn’t know whether MBWE knows to restore (install clean OS distribution) itself … so after what you wrote I guess it doesn’t know to do that …

anyway … thanks for answers  ;)