General Feedback - WD My Cloud OS 3 Operating Software

I’ll give you feedback WD has yet again reveled its true colors. Making its users beta test their new “OS”. Which by the way was supposed to be fully functional and obviously isn’t. When you treat your customers in such a manner you tend to loose them. So please WD quit biting the hand that feeds you.

What I truly laugh at is that the WD folks clam every single time to have put these firmware updates though what they call rigorous testing in the lab and yet manage to break so many devices with every other firmware update that’s released.

Figured I would provide an update before the Read-Only lockdown. 

Finally performed a Factory System Restore (Data left intact)…  Now it’s like a Brand New system. 

Just re-creating all the accounts and kicked off a new Backup to my Drobo NAS that should take a few days to complete.

Thanks and hopefully this helps anyone suffering the same issues.

pauldwd wrote:

Figured I would provide an update before the Read-Only lockdown. 

Finally performed a Factory System Restore (Data left intact)…  Now it’s like a Brand New system. 

Just re-creating all the accounts and kicked off a new Backup to my Drobo NAS that should take a few days to complete.

Thanks and hopefully this helps anyone suffering the same issues.

For reference, you are running the latest version of the firmware right?

I thought the same first, but seems like it takes some time (a few seconds) for the “Login” button to start accepting inputs.

Try to wait just a little bit longer before clicking on “Login” to see if this is the case.

Also, I’m on 2.10.310 so it might not be the same for you.

I have just sat here this morning and upgraded to the latest firmware

Up to now no problems what so ever, everything went like a dream.

I only use my cloud for backing up and access remotely, I have tried the remote access via the new web page on my windows phone, Samsung tablet & my laptop and everything working good, I also have WD safe point and everything good there too.

Keep my fingers crossed that is stays the same.

I agree with you on this. @Bill_S, you may with to pass this on. I’ve recently demonstrated the Personal My Cloud to a friend of a friend and she can’t use the UI with ease. If it has been high contract with dark background then it would have worked but with the white background it’s a bit too much for her. She’s sort of medium-functioning autism.

The white background overloads her.

There needs to be an option to change the colour scheme between white-washed and high-contract.

I’ve mentioned this many times, but it seems that for WD’s there is no priority build in accessibility features for people with dyslexic and autistic needs and considerations. :confused:

2 Likes

Regardless of the tweaking (which I like) the bottom line is it still doesn’t work as advertised

capacity by type -does now work
email notifications- not working
power schedule - not easy to alter and you cannot see all you settings in one window like before
led light-always show on now.,better if it went of to show you the drive was sleeping

all the above worked before,

Check the /var/log/user.log for the messages below. These messages are caused by the process
restsdk-serverd. If you go to /etc/rc2.d and do the following: sh S20restsdk-serverd stop
That will stop the error messages which get written every ten seconds.

2015-10-31T16:02:17.263205-04:00 di=TCG2w1CF6F notice restsdk[7005]: paths.go:49: Could not dial crawler socket at ‘/tmp/WDMCRequest.socket’, error: dial unix /tmp/WDMCRequest.socket: connect: connection refused
2015-10-31T16:02:26.326132-04:00 di=TCG2w1CF6F notice restsdk[7005]: watch.go:109: Stat(), error: stat /tmp/dynamicconfig.ini: no such file or directory

RAC

Email notification (at least the Send Test Email option) works with one of my email address but not my throwaway one. I suspect the throwaway (AOL) is possibly blocking the email outright as it doesn’t show up in the spam/bulk mail folder.

Power schedule? Where is that in the single drive My Cloud Dashboard interface?

The drive always on/not going to sleep (leading to the LED always being solid blue) with numerous error messages in the logs has been discussed elsewhere at length. As rac8006 points out the workaround appears to be stopping “S20restsdk-serverd”.

Edit to add: Well the test email from the My Cloud to the throwaway account (AOL) showed up two hours later for some reason.

This release has issues. Among them:
firmware does not do email notifications when going to sleep even though notify on everything is set.
Cannot access files on iphone, Can see folders, but cannot get individual files to open
Windows 10 Edge browser does not bring up log in screen. Works in Chrome, but not Edge.

Hi. All I want to know is will the My Cloud support backup from a Windows 10 Mobile device. I called support and didn’t get an answer. The forum so far has conflicting answers. Looking for a personal cloud solution in the next couple of months and wondering if My Cloud is it or not. Thanks

New firmware is a bunch of ■■■■, period. Lost remote connection to my EX2 on Windows Phone. Had originally worked great when first set up two to three months ago. Worked just as I thought it would under version 2. Gong to try and return mine under warranty. Why would firmware break a good product. Hate the new blue light setup. Software engineering at its worst.!!!

As posted to a new thread, the USB Content Availability feature may not be working properly. For me, disabling it doesn’t work, external USB drive is visible and accessible when using MyCloud.com to view the My Cloud remotely. Edit to add: Using v04.04.01-112 firmware.

Do most SYNC’ing programs handle moved files without re-uploading?

I don’t know whether ‘most’ do, but certainly ‘good’ ones do. And the ‘best’ ones handle moved folders as well

@rac8006 what does S20restsdk-serverd do? Is it ok to stop that process? It won’t affect anything from connecting?

Not sure. But if you have remote access disable it writes error messages to the log every 10 seconds.

RAC

I imagine it’s the server for the REST SDK:

https://casablanca.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=FAQ

I imagine this has been added to allow third party apps to be developed, as announced in OS3. But it looks like something hasn’t been done right, so that, with cloud access turned off, it keeps writing an error message to the error log.

Makes sense that it would be the for rest sdk as name suggested. thanks.