G-RAID TB3 with two computers at same time?

Can I use my G-RAID TB3 with two computers at same time? I have a Mac Mini connected via thunderbolt to the G-RAID and daisy chained to a 27 Thunderbolt Display however I would like connect a second laptop to the G-RAID via USB 3. Is this possible and have both connect at the same time? I currently have my iTunes and photos library on the G-RAID and would like to have access to from both machines.

1 Like

Same question/desire (with G-RAID removable) only more: Can I re-format as Ex-Fat and have it connected simultaneously to both my Windows 7 Pro workstation (via USB or eSATA) and my iMac (via Firewire or USB)? Seems unlikely due to both systems trying to power and control the data flow… Maybe via a USB-sharing device? Are those also available for TB devices?
Otherwise, I suppose it could be connected to one PC and shared to the other over the network, or attached to the router’s USB port and shared to each that way? As a pseudo-NAS device, the formatting shouldn’t matter. As the RAID is internal, that shouldn’t be a problem either, although I plan to run as JBOD (just recording TV/movies and watching later; ultra-speed not yet an issue but losing data from a disk failure would be bad.)

I think the shared from one PC to the other over network is the best solution. Router USB drives rarely work well for me. I suppose I could also set it up on a third, low-power PC and make it available over the network from there so both PCs need not be on simultaneously… a tablet or netbook, maybe…

You cannot attach one drive to two computers physically at a time. The only way to do this is via a network share unless it is a NAS device itself.

1 Like

Thanks, that’s what I suspected

There is a fairly simple way of doing this. It’s technically a network share but it doesn’t require a router in between, the connection works with just two TB3 cables. You’d be connecting computer A and B to each other with a thunderbolt 3 cable, then connecting the hard drive to computer A with a TB3 cable. Then you’d share the GRAID as a network drive on computer A so that computer B can see the drive without being connected. I hope this helps.
More details here: