G-Drive Won't Mount

Disk warrior will only be able to repair the Mac partition.

Hello

My G Raid 8T doesnā€™t mount at all in my Mac book pro. The system in my computer was having trouble to recognize the drive (which it was weird). Basically I could hear the G raid trying to mount but no icon of the drive on the desktop. Now the hard drive only turns the light but it doesnā€™t mount at all and it doesnā€™t show in the disk utility or desktop. I had direct thunderbolt 3 connection. Is there any solution for this? Is there any way I can get my information back?

Many thanks, IPS

You can try attaching it with USB to see if perhaps the connection over TB3 is part of the issue. If it shows in Disk Utility or mounts fully on USB then you can proceed with a replacement Thunderbolt cable if needed. However if it doesnā€™t get recognition at all then the next thing to check is the power adapter.

If it is a Thunderbolt 3 G-RAID then it will have a 19v 4.74a adapter. If it is a Thunderbolt 2 or 1 G-RAID it will use a 12v 4a adapter. Make sure you are using the correct one and if it still isnā€™t working then it would be a hardware issue and if it is within warranty you can generate an RMA to get a replacement on our website. RMA Creation

Hi there.

My brand new G Drive 1TB Mobile SSD R-Series just arrived in the mail. I had just finished loading 400GBā€™s of data onto it and it was working fine, until I just plugged it back in now and itā€™s no longer mounting. I tried to run First Aid in Disk Utility and it said the process had failed. From reading the other comments, it would seem that the software has been corrupted and I could try erasing and restoring the drive. Iā€™m confused as to why / how the software has become corrupted this early on, and how I can prevent this from happening in the future, as Iā€™ve only just started using the drive and want to have peace of mind that it wonā€™t become corrupted again. I would rather not have to erase the drive or purchase Disk Warrior at this point. The drive was connected to my computer as it died last night. Could that have caused the software corruption problem? I was also running it through a USB hub for some of the transfers I made. However Iā€™m now plugging into the Macbook Pro directly and still itā€™s not mounting. Please let me know if you have any other solutions to this problem and how I can prevent this from happening again in the future. Thank you!

If your computer goes out while drive is in use on it then it is counted as an improper ejection and can cause corruption.

You also want to stay away from hubs if possible. But yes in your current situation only erasing and starting over or using Disk Warrior to rebuild the drive will bring it back to being usable. You want to make sure the drive is not disconnected without being ejected properly or it can cause corruption.

I have a G-RAID 8TB drive that will only mount intermittently. I must plug it in and power up multiple times until the drive will finally mount onto my desktop (mac) I am using a thunderbolt cable and have replaced the cable without any difference. I have never had it fail to mount but sometimes I must unplug it and power it down many many times before it finally mounts. This last time it took me an hour to finally get it to mount. Any help on solving this problem would be great.

I have a 10TB G Drive. After connecting it to a Nighthawk R7000 Router using ReadyShare for network and remote access, G Drive wonā€™t mount on iMac (Mojave) or Macbook Pro (Sierra). Run First Aid on Disk Utility which said drive is fine. Please help.

The G Tech drives I purchased are all defective. The connection to plug in the cable that goes to the computer is slightly distorted or just too large. This allows the plug on that end to be inserted into the drive but the connection is shaky at best and at some point it stops working. Or it will be seen by the computer off and on as itā€™s an improper fit. Loose connections from the start are bad news and I have lost two 4 TB drives of data. They seemed like great drives at the start. They were no cheaper than any other. I was just looking for something other than WD drives so it would last and the G Tech are not the answer.

2 Likes

I faced the same problems today. I read this series of help notes from the community. My G-drive mobile SSD 500gb was password protected using iMac disk utility. I run OS Mojave 10.14.4. The drive did not show in Finder. I ran disk utility repair. No luck. It told me the disk was full, no free space. I right-clicked on the logical volume Mac OS Extended [Journaled, encrypted] and chose mount. At this point the disk prompted me to enter my password. It was restored to Finder and appeared on the desktop. It now showed it had 232gb free. It is returned to use. I am much relieved. It had months of unique files, all personal, that I was archiving and also writing. I hope this might be an answer to some G-drive owners who experience this issue. The drive is a few months old. Best wishes to you all

Further notes on G-drive issues mentioned in my post yesterday. The R-series drive could be mounted through disk utility but it wasnā€™t loading automatically. So I looked for more help and came across the SETAPP website which suggested a reset of NVRAM [shutdown, wait 60s, restart and immediately hold down four keys: alt + cmd + P + R for 20s]. It worked. For details see other useful notes at External hard drive not showing up on Mac? Here's what to do
NVRAM [non volatile random access memory] stores things like screen resolution, time zone information, and which hard drive to boot from. Plus lots more.

If possible can you help me?
My G Drive USB 4TB is plugged in correctly, connected to my computer as it has always been and the light is powered on but there is nothing happening. Itā€™s not starting up. I canā€™t hear anything happening from it anymore, when I put my hand on it, usually I can feel it running. Iā€™m getting nothing and my Mac is not recognizing it at all. Any way to fix this without sending it in for warranty? Any help is much appreciated.

I have a 4TB G Drive connected via FireWire 800 and it recently stopped showing up in the Finder Sidebar. I have two additional FireWire drives running through the G Drive and they show up and operate properly. When I open Disk Utility, I can see the drive but when I try to run First Aid, it fails. I have also tried connecting the drive alone using a FireWire to Thunderbolt adapter and it still doesnā€™t work. The drive appears to spin up properly so I donā€™t believe it is a power issue.

Is this a hardware issue or a software issue? If I were to purchase a software such as Disk Warrior will it recover the data that is/was on the drive or just restore the drive and I would need to start over with the contents of the drive.

If it is a hardware issue, would I open the drive and get a new eSATA connector or should I just start over with a new drive?

I like the Glyph blackbox Pro external hard drive. Itā€™s tough, made with metal, with a rubber bumper, the usb cable is much thinner, and it is more reliable & stronger! It seems that the problem is, stop buying cheap plastic cover external hard drives! They are not good. I have a plastic, 1 TB by glyph external hard drive, that did the same thing. Not being recognized on the desktop, disk utilities, but shows up in system report, with option USB selected in the list. It seems that the 1 TB plastic 3.0 USB Hard Drive lasted for 8 years, do to me taking well care of it, but the USB cable was my problem several times, and I had to replace it, with in the time, that itā€™s now giving me problems! The input section on the hard drive, which the other side of the cable goes in, gets very loose after time of use, which is not good, but all hard drives can go bad after a while! Especially the plastic ones, no matter how much space is on them. Stick to the metal ones, they last longer, & are much much stronger and reliable, even the metal LaCie hard drives are tougher then any plastic ones by western digital, if their the over all manufacturer of glyph products! Lesson learned, forget plastic hard drives! Word to the wise, in oder to save time and money on garbage hard drives! Also, western digital makes metal ones to, so they are much better than their plastic ones are! Again, stick to the metal hard drives! Much much stronger! Peace!

My 1TB G Drive has stopped mounting - it shows the utilities but not the diskā€¦ I canā€™t access all of my information.

It is under Guarantee. I got it less than a year ago.

Hi,
I have problem with my G-Drive mobile 2TB. Few times it disconnected accidentally without unmount and now, when connected, it only spins but cant be visible in disk utility and every 2min (aprox) cut the power in disk (you can hear like short off\on). Does somebody had problem like this and is there anything that I can do to retrieve data?
Is it posible to by the same Drive and change PCB? Would that work?

Iā€™m running macOS Big Sur on MacBook Pro 2017.

Hi, I have problem with my G-Drive mobile 4TB, after Iā€™m update my Mac Book Air to macOS Big Sur Version 11.01.1, I canā€™t mount my Drive when I want to back-up my laptop, thank you before for your advise

Happy 2021 folks. And, sorry for the long-ish post. I want to provide as much info as possible.

I have two external backup drives for my Mac. They are 4TB each. Theyā€™re connected to my machine via USB . I performed a Time Machine backup on both of these drives last Friday or Saturday, and they were both working until Saturday night. Now, only one of these two drives will mount.

Iā€™ve tried a Terminal operation involving the ā€˜diskutilā€™ command, but that did no good. I tried restarting , but that did no good. I tried removing cables and reinserting them. Same result.

The drive comes in two partitions (one of these is a small, 4GB partition containing utilities for the drive, etc.). This smaller partition mounts, but the main drive does not ā€“ even though Disk utility can still provide info about it. It is grayed out and it says the volume is not mounted, yet it ā€œseesā€ the drive.

My second drive ā€“ so far ā€“ is working. I pray this does not stop, since everything I have is on these discs.

My system is as follows:

• iMac (21.5-inch, 2017)
  • 2.3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5
  • 8 GB 2133 MHz DDR4

And, just ā€˜upgradedā€™ to Big Sur a day or two prior to this.

Any help would be appreciated. I could probably reformat this thing and copy everything over from the other drive, but Iā€™d really like to know what caused this before I do that.

UPDATEā€¦

I cannot even get Disk Utility to reformat, restore, or erase the volumeā€¦ I keep getting a ā€œfailedā€ message.

Oh, and no one from WD is responding. I have a case # dating back to the 5th of this month, and so far no oneā€™s responded. If this drive is caput, I need to get a new one.

Iā€™ve had similar issues, also since last week when I also upgraded to Big Sur. Last week I managed to get it working by resetting NVRAM. This week, no such luck. I was on a support chat for a while last week but they didnā€™t have any useful suggestions other than running me through all the usual troubleshooting steps.