G-DRIVE with Thunderbolt 3 mounts but reboots my Mac (12 TB, Model 0G05383)

A month ago, I purchased a new G-Technology G-DRIVE with Thunderbolt 3 (12 TB, Model 0G05383) and immediately re-formatted it for APFS (Encrypted) using my MacBook Pro running macOS High Sierra (10.13.1). As everything seemed to be working fine, since I could daisy-chain other drives to it using either the Thunderbolt 3 or USB-C (USB 3.1 Gen 1) port, I consolidated all of my data on the new drive. However, as of a week ago, when I connect my MacBook Pro to the G-DRIVE (via Thunderbolt 3 or USB-C), it immediately reboots my Mac as soon as the drive mounts - sometimes I don’t even get a chance to enter the drive encryption password. One odd behavior that I noticed from the beginning, is that the drive does not automatically mount; I have to go into Disk Utility, select the drive and click the “Mount” button to get it to mount - as discussed above, as of a week ago, when I do this now, it immediately reboots my Mac. Thus, my new $700+ drive is now completely useless until I/we figure-out how to fix this, so please advise soonest. Please note that I get the exact same behavior regardless of what Mac I connect to the drive and regardless of what cable connection I use.

If the drive is causing the Mac to reboot before you can do anything to it then it would likely be hardware related. However, the APFS file system is not meant for large capacity external drives. It is a file system meant for small OS disks and not large storage.

If you were able to get access to the drive on any system I would recommend reformatting it back to HFS+ as it was out of the box but if that is not possible then all you can do is replace it. If it is within the return period of the place of purchase then do so. If it is beyond that you can generate an RMA on our website here: RMA