G-Drive Q Failure

Don’t know where to go to get questions answered. On a Win 7 system my middle two drives don’t show a green light. I can’t get the drive to show up in explorer. I doesn’t show in device manager either. Can’t figure if this is just a lost cause, or if some of the data might be recoverable. Googled several times for tutorials and/or comments but nothing seems to answer questions. Help!

The G-Drive Q was a single drive unit. You are speaking of multiple drives so it sounds like you might have a G-Speed Q which was a 4 bay drive unit.

If the drives are not getting any power lights on them it would be related usually to the drive itself in the enclosure. The Q requires all the drives to work together in order for it to mount. If you have multiple of them not lighting up you would have lost the contents due to hardware failure.

Thank you so much for your reply as I am a novice in these matters. You are right, I have a G Speed Q model.
Please clarify a more specific description of the problem.
When I turn on the drive, both the red and blue housing lights flash and when it settles down, only the blue light is showing. Drive 1 (top one) and the bottom one show a blue light, and the second drive shows a very faint blue light. The third light has no light at all.
My questions are:1. Is this an indication that something in the housing has failed?2. The only info I can get from either the manual or the internet says that a single drive failure in a three drive array requires only the replacement of the failed drive and then the RAID system will rebuild the data in the failed drive. Since I have two remaining (maybe 2-1/2 because of the faint light in drive 2) does this indicate that there is a hope of rebuilding the third and then possibly the second drive?3. If there is no possibility of recovering the data on all four drives, is it going to be possible to salvage some files from drive 1 and 4 (and possibly 2) by removing them and then plugging them into a drive port on my video editing computer?4. Am I endangering any remaining data by removing any one of the drives (in order to read) and then replacing them back into the enclosure?5. Finally what advise do you have on any possible recovery? I have seen estimates of $2000-8000 and that is a bit steep.
6. Is all hope lost? Tom Barber, President BARBER SALES, INC. (708)352-8071 (708)299-4235 Cell

1. It is possible it is just an issue with the enclosure as you are experiencing multiple failures at once and that is usually unlikely.
  2. If it is indeed drive related and it is more than 1 drive you cannot rebuild a RAID5 with more than 1 failure.
  3. The drives won’t work directly attached to a computer, they require the specific RAID controller that is part of the Q.
  4. Do not remove the drives, it is possible you can attempt replacing the Q enclosure itself to solve it.
  5. Those are accurate numbers for data recovery, depending on complexity. You’d need to contact a data recovery service directly for more information about that.
  6. You can attempt to replace the Q enclosure as I mentioned previously but finding one that matches your generation. That means if you have an older USB 2.0 model or the newer 3.0 model you can replace it with a like version and swap the drives.