G-Drive Pro with 2017 iMac issues

Hi there. I recently started using a G-drive Pro with thunderbolt with a new 2017 iMac (3.8 GHz Intel Core i5) using a usb-c to thunderbolt adapter to connect. It is my primary work drive and where I am storing most of my files. OS is Sierra 10.12.5

Q is, while I am pleased how the drive reads very fast, oftentimes I have problems writing to the drive. I cannot save over files or even create something as simple as a new folder without having to either force effect the drive or restart my computer. Again, not every time, just mostly. It has resulted in me saving my files on my flash storage and eventually, (once I can use the G-drive again, transferring them over. It is very frustrating. In addition, the drive runs very hot and is almost constantly spinning.

I was going to write a review, but thought I would at least check to see if this is a known issue with the new 2017 iMacs or Sierra OS before doing so. Or, though it seems unlikely, possibly even the usb-c to thunderbolt adapter. There’s a chance I may just have a defective drive. It is only about 3 weeks old. Any feedback on this topic would be appreciated.

Thanks!

First step is to go into your System Preferences > Energy Saver > Uncheck “put drives to sleep when possible”.

This will likely fix the issue, it could be due to the system attempting to spin down the drive after idle time.

Have had the sleep option unchecked for a few days now and the drive is working like a dream. Thanks so much!

Glad to hear it! Thanks for the feedback