G-Drive partition corrupted

I FINALLY found a solution that I didn’t find anywhere else and it WORKED. I no longer have disconnects on the G-Drive running write intensive applications. Everything is completing normally.

I found this article that talked about “Ghost Driver conflicts.” This occurs when we attach and remove devices from Windows. The definitions hang around. Here’s how to delete all those “ghost” devices and their associated drivers that fixed the issue for me. BTW, once I did this, the event on the G-Drive that stated the drive “could not be migrated” went away too. I think that was the crux of the problem.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware-winpc/windows-10-usb-hard-drive-incorrectly-identified/3573eb53-e1d0-4e1f-9b7e-b6f3a290387b

In a nutshell…

Remove Ghost Devices

Note: Ghost devices are the previously installed devices which are not connected but the drivers for that device is still present in the computer and sometimes shows in the devices list.

To get rid of unwanted drivers, devices, or services, use the following steps:

1. Open the Start menu.
2. Type cmd in search box.

• Select cmd from the displayed list, right click and *Open as administrator.
  • At the command prompt, type in set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 and press *Enter.

(Note that nothing seems to happen. This is expected. You are actually setting an environment variable which is going to help you to see hidden devices.)

1. On the next command prompt line, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter. This will launch the Windows Device Manager Console.
2. In the Device Manager Console, from the View menu, select Show Hidden Devices .

As you expand the different drivers and devices in the device manager, you will see not only the items that Windows currently detects as installed on your PC; but you will also see drivers, devices, and services which have been loaded in the past but were not uninstalled or are not currently started. You can find your offending device, right-click, and choose uninstall to remove it from the system completely.

Note that ghost devices, drivers, and services are “grayed” out, but that does not necessarily mean that you should delete all of them. Only remove items you know you do not need. Be careful that you do not change too many devices.

NOTE: I removed every single Ghost Device I found greyed out and rebooted my machine and checked again. All gone. Problem gone. Happy camper. I hope this helps anyone else with the issue. :slight_smile: