G-Drive Mobile USB-C New/Not Working

I have a new G-Drive USB-C for Mac and a brand new Macbook. I plugged in the drive and saw a solid light and feel the drive going but after hours and multiple attempts I don’t see any files transferred. When I go to File/QuickLook it says last modified yesterday and 999.86 GB, 999.2GB free and I have at least 300GB to transfer. Also no files are showing up in finder. Did I get a bunk drive or is this user error?

@jbigalow

The drive won’t transfer your data by itself. If the computer didn’t ask you to use it as a Time Machine backup when you attached it then you will have to go into the Time Machine Preferences and set it as the backup volume.

So I have a MacBook Pro Touchbar, running Sierra updated 10.12.6. The MacBook was recently reset to factory, and docs were restored from iCloud and apps downloaded. All should be ok. Am trying to back up with the G Drive mobile USB-C. Started last night, and as suggested in one forum I toggled in the computer’s settings the “do not put the Mac hard drive to sleep” (even though it says that the Mac should continue to back up even in sleep mode).

The back up started quickly last night with 14 GB out of 209 GB downloading in about 15 min, so I thought all was well. Today at 11 am (so over 12 hours later), it’s only at 55 GB, and I thought it had stalled, but as I’ve been watching the past hour, it is going, but insanely slowly. In 17 min it went .02 GB, and then the next 18 min it went .06. At this rate I won’t be able to move my laptop for a week. What is up with it? Is there a firmware setting I should apply?

FYI I bought the drive from the Apple store, so it’s new.

There are no firmware settings. You can restart your computer and see if it speeds up when you resume. It will resume from where it left off prior to the restart.

Thanks for this. Good to know about firmware. After 4 attempts it did finally back up the 209 GB, although it took 27 hours. Sigh. At this point, it’s most likely the issue was the MacBook Pro (year old). It’s back at Apple with a presumed replace for the logic board. sigh. Appreciate your support.

Rydia WDStaff
November 6 |

There are no firmware settings. You can restart your computer and see if it speeds up when you resume. It will resume from where it left off prior to the restart. Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.
In Reply To

wpond
November 4 |

So I have a MacBook Pro Touchbar, running Sierra updated 10.12.6. The MacBook was recently reset to factory, and docs were restored from iCloud and apps downloaded. All should be ok. Am trying to back up with the G Drive mobile USB-C. Started last night, and as suggested in one forum I toggled in… Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond. To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.