G Drive mini not mounting since Sierra update

I have a G Drive Mini 1T 0G02577 which is failing to mount. This is connected to a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) which I have recently updated to Sierra 10.12.4. It may be coincidence but I have only had this problem since updated the OS, until then the disk was mounting and running without any problems.

I can see the drive in Disk Utilities and also in ‘About this Mac > System Preferences > Hardware > USB’, but it will not mount. I have seen that some other users have experienced similar issues with portable drives failing to mount since this OS update so I am wondering if this may be the problem?

I desperately need to retrieve the data on the disk. If anyone has any advice I would be so grateful of any help resolving this.

edie,

You could have used the same post as the adapter one.

The place you need to check is the Disk Utility. If the drive shows there but is grayed out that means the partition is corrupted and it needs to be repaired or else it won’t mount. This isn’t a power related issue its a software issue on the drive.

You can attempt a repair with the First Aid in Disk Utility but it usually isn’t powerful enough to repair. There is a 3rd party app that we recommend called Disk Warrior that has a very high success rate at rebuilding corrupted drives.

If the drive does not show in Disk Utility at all then it would be hardware related. Your best option there is to open the enclosure and try switching it to another enclosure to see if that is the issue.

Thanks Rydia. I tried runnning First Aid in Disk Utility and got this error message?

Repairing file system.
Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
The volume could not be verified completely.
File system check exit code is 8.
Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required.
File system verify or repair failed

That means it is corrupted but First Aid isn’t powerful enough to repair it. You’d need a more powerful solution like Disk Warrior I mentioned prior.